DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Droid + low RAM = crappy GB?

  1. Junior Droid
    duffme's Avatar
    Member #
    195243
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid
    #1

    Droid + low RAM = crappy GB?

    I've gone from Pete's GPA 13 up to 16 and now Cyanogenmod 7.1.0. I've read about done many of the tweaks including the awesome V6Supercharger, etc. While I've gotten the phone to perform much better it still FCs and fully reboots when using apps like Maps and Nav, not to mention some bluetooth and car dock/undock oddities. I'm coming to the conclusion that 256MB RAM is just enough for the OG. Are there any kernel alternatives that would use less RAM? I'm guessing by the number of posts I see of people going back to Froyo I'm not alone in my thoughts?

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid
    thejas's Avatar
    Member #
    95571
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    70
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by duffme View Post
    I've gone from Pete's GPA 13 up to 16 and now Cyanogenmod 7.1.0. I've read about done many of the tweaks including the awesome V6Supercharger, etc. While I've gotten the phone to perform much better it still FCs and fully reboots when using apps like Maps and Nav, not to mention some bluetooth and car dock/undock oddities. I'm coming to the conclusion that 256MB RAM is just enough for the OG. Are there any kernel alternatives that would use less RAM? I'm guessing by the number of posts I see of people going back to Froyo I'm not alone in my thoughts?

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    I agree and think the ram is too low on this phone. I really feel if the phone had 512mb or more ram it would be a phone that would last much longer. I have mine overclocked so processor really isn't an issue. I am happy to say that cyanogenmods 7.0.3 so far has shown no glitches for me. The big ones for gb was speed,camera and game performance issues. Both of these are resolved on this version (at least they are for me) with a complete wipe and no restoring apps. Kernel wise i've tried them all and found that the one that comes with cyangen runs the coolest/most efficient/most stable with zero issues so far. They even use this kernel on MIUI.us rom which is one of my favorite roms (save crappy games performance) and the kernel was very stable. Ultimately, I was about to give up on GB all together and just run froyo but cyanogens rom runs great on my phone so we'll see how it does long-term. I've had a few FC's here and there but not repeatable and not consistent so I'm not sure where/why they are happening and none have been related to maps and nav (which I just recently used a lot to get around flooding here in the north-east.) I would say try using rom manager or another program that can fix permissions for you. Also try clearing caches with a cache cleaner and take away that supercharger (unsupercharge in the scripts menu). I know people love it but for me stock cyanogen works the best so far. Good luck with everything and let me know how it works out. Don't forget to update programs if they aren't automatically set do to so.
    Droid Rooted
    Liquid Gingerbread v2.1 (crazy smooth/fast)
    Chevyno1 1.1 LV GB Kernel
    Launcher Pro (3 screens)
    Beautiful Widgets (sense UI layout)
    Rom Manager/Clockwork to control it all!
  4. Master Droid
    jchammer123's Avatar
    Member #
    49847
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #3
    I have always had excellent luck with Simply Stunning GB. The current version is 5.5 which has been near perfect for me! While I think GB will never be 100% on our OG's, this is as close as you can get right now! The rom manages the ram very well and there are built in tweaks in the rom under Chevy's Tools. I even discovered that the rom actually has more available ram without the V6 script. I strongly suggest giving this rom a shot!!! I know everyones phone is different, however, the Chevy community is extremely supportive and has many followers who swear by this rom on the good ol OG Droid. It is based on CM7, however he has added many of his tweaks to really make it run much more smooth!

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  5. Master Droid
    googlelover's Avatar
    Member #
    84373
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    355
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jchammer123 View Post
    I have always had excellent luck with Simply Stunning GB. The current version is 5.5 which has been near perfect for me! While I think GB will never be 100% on our OG's, this is as close as you can get right now! The rom manages the ram very well and there are built in tweaks in the rom under Chevy's Tools. I even discovered that the rom actually has more available ram without the V6 script. I strongly suggest giving this rom a shot!!! I know everyones phone is different, however, the Chevy community is extremely supportive and has many followers who swear by this rom on the good ol OG Droid. It is based on CM7, however he has added many of his tweaks to really make it run much more smooth!

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    +1 Of course I got my Droid to run fairly smoothly on CM nightlys using a swap partition, but chevys runs a little smoother then any of the CM builds and the battery lasts me roughly 15-20 hours with medium/light usage (sending a few texts, looking at a few news articles etc)
    Running SS5.6/Cushzero 2.3.7
    Loving the Gingerbread deliciousness
    O/C 1.1 Ghz Chevy low voltage kernal.
  6. Master Droid
    jchammer123's Avatar
    Member #
    49847
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by googlelover View Post
    +1 Of course I got my Droid to run fairly smoothly on CM nightlys using a swap partition, but chevys runs a little smoother then any of the CM builds and the battery lasts me roughly 15-20 hours with medium/light usage (sending a few texts, looking at a few news articles etc)
    I've seen really nice battery life on the latest build. Each GB release keeps getting better.

    You gotta also think, that the D1 is one of the only phones that is running GB 2.3.5 (even if its not official) if you're rooted. Most phones that were meant to handle GB, still don't have a rooted version of 2.3.5. Even the official GB releases are 2.3.3.

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  7. Master Droid
    googlelover's Avatar
    Member #
    84373
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    355
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jchammer123 View Post
    I've seen really nice battery life on the latest build. Each GB release keeps getting better.

    You gotta also think, that the D1 is one of the only phones that is running GB 2.3.5 (even if its not official) if you're rooted. Most phones that were meant to handle GB, still don't have a rooted version of 2.3.5. Even the official GB releases are 2.3.3.

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    I know, I am so happy I chose this phone instead of the Eris my mom tried to push me onto. I don't think any piece of the OS on this phone is stock, other then the barebone drivers from Motorola, but my CM battery life was never even close to this, usually 6-9 hours with light usage but I haven't tried winners most recent one, I'm just scared to leave Chevys when its working so perfectly..
    Running SS5.6/Cushzero 2.3.7
    Loving the Gingerbread deliciousness
    O/C 1.1 Ghz Chevy low voltage kernal.
  8. Master Droid
    jchammer123's Avatar
    Member #
    49847
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by googlelover View Post
    I know, I am so happy I chose this phone instead of the Eris my mom tried to push me onto. I don't think any piece of the OS on this phone is stock, other then the barebone drivers from Motorola, but my CM battery life was never even close to this, usually 6-9 hours with light usage but I haven't tried winners most recent one, I'm just scared to leave Chevys when its working so perfectly..
    I've tried just about all roms and just kept coming back to SS. This time I decided to just go ahead and stay here.

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  9. Senior Droid
    tbever's Avatar
    Member #
    4601
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    131
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #8
    +1 for SS. CM 7.0.3 kept giving me issues with loss of data connectivity. I get some issues with lagginess if I run too many large apps ie maps, doggcatcher and audible. After running any of these for a while, I usually have to reboot to get performance back up to an acceptable level.

    BTW does anyone know how to set an alternative keyboard such as Swype to automatically become the default when you reboot the phone, rather than having to go in under the settings to reselect it?
    The Eagle has Landed
  10. Master Droid
    jchammer123's Avatar
    Member #
    49847
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    940
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tbever View Post
    +1 for SS. CM 7.0.3 kept giving me issues with loss of data connectivity. I get some issues with lagginess if I run too many large apps ie maps, doggcatcher and audible. After running any of these for a while, I usually have to reboot to get performance back up to an acceptable level.

    BTW does anyone know how to set an alternative keyboard such as Swype to automatically become the default when you reboot the phone, rather than having to go in under the settings to reselect it?
    Yes, go into settings-language & keyboard. Uncheck the Android Keyboard, and check Swype. That way the only one that pops up is Swype.

    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  11. Junior Droid
    duffme's Avatar
    Member #
    195243
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid
    #10
    Thanks for the responses, all. I'm flashing SS5.5 now. I've heard 50/50 on using swap on SD. If this has the same issues with large apps causing reboots and FCs on things like Messenger it's over to BB or CM6 I think. So far SS failed to re-install most apps due to "insufficient space" even though there is plenty...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. crappy battery after OTA
    By eriscrazy in forum Samsung Fascinate
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
  2. 0.2 kernels crappy if no overclock?
    By aggiechase37 in forum Bugless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
  3. Crappy oem tb car dock
    By kushmankev in forum Thunderbolt Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
  4. crappy network coverage
    By felbel in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 07:41 AM
  5. What a crappy name
    By Jeepzor in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 12:18 AM

Search tags for this page

android keyboard that uses low ram
,

android low memory keyboard

,
android low memory mod
,

droid low ram

,
low memory android
,

low memory keyboard android

,

low ram droid charge

,

low ram keyboard android

,

low resource android keyboard

,

og droid memory

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+