DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out what this guy is doing

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    A885 Droid

Check out what this guy is doing

Profiting off someone else's hard work. It's like selling mp3s you downloaded off of the pirate bay.
    Nook Color Rooted & Upgraded CM7 (7.0.3) Android tablet & B&N Case

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i see rooted nooks for sale on ebay all the time...dont see what he is doing wrong actually....
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Rooted
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I sold a rooted and market-enabled Pandigital Novel on ebay, but I checked with the rom developer to get his ok first. It seemed like the right thing to do.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    i see rooted nooks for sale on ebay all the time...dont see what he is doing wrong actually....
    He's charging people to install the rom on their tablets...if anyone should be doing that it's the developers. I'm sure this person was taught how to rom tablets as well
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    ktklein72
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    He's charging people to install the rom on their tablets...if anyone should be doing that it's the developers. I'm sure this person was taught how to rom tablets as well
    There are many people who either a) don't know how to root and maybe don't want to know how and b) people who may have the apptitude but for a multitude of reasons don't have the time to learn to root. The way I see it, so long as the charge is marketed as for labor only I don't see anything moreally wrong w/what the person is doing. It's really no different than if you ask me to upgrade your Windows XP PC to Windows 7 or take your PC to a tech store and have them do it. Obviously in my example the OS would need to be purchased by the end user and sold from an authorized body, but other than that it's really the same. Now if this person markets himself as selling the CM7 Android Hybrid OS then that's a toally different story and I agree that would be unethical. Until Google, Cyanogen or others have a formal service they offer to do this, there will always be some enterprising individuals who are looking to make a buck offering their services.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    AnurajBhatt
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    It's not the selling of his Nook, it is the charging to put CM7 on people's Nooks that is wrong.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    That's like saying Bill Gates should personally install Windows on my machine. If there was a charge to buy Cyanogenmod and he was pirating it then you'd have a point. This is no different then installing Linux for somebody. I'll gladly do that for you for a price. Or you can learn and do it yourself for free.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    It's not the selling of his Nook, it is the charging to put CM7 on people's Nooks that is wrong.
    I don't see anything wrong with this. He is providing a service to people.

As stated before, there are some people that are just not technically inclined or don't want to take the time to learn. However, they want their tablet rooted and CM7 installed so they are willing to pay someone to do it for them.

Now if he was charging people to say download CM7 off his server or something (for them to install) that would be wrong. But in this case, he is just providing an "install service" for those that aren't tech savvy or don't want to bother with it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimis View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with this. He is providing a service to people.

As stated before, there are some people that are just not technically inclined or don't want to take the time to learn. However, they want their tablet rooted and CM7 installed so they are willing to pay someone to do it for them.

Now if he was charging people to say download CM7 off his server or something (for them to install) that would be wrong. But in this case, he is just providing an "install service" for those that are tech savvy or don't want to bother with it.
    How would that be wrong. Bandwidth cost money. Plenty of people host files on megafiles and other pay for servers. You either wait for the count down and get a slow download or PAY and get premium access with no delays and higher bandwidth.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    agree 100% with ya

Quote Originally Posted by nlinecomputers View Post
    That's like saying Bill Gates should personally install Windows on my machine. If there was a charge to buy Cyanogenmod and he was pirating it then you'd have a point. This is no different then installing Linux for somebody. I'll gladly do that for you for a price. Or you can learn and do it yourself for free.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Rooted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links