DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Kernel Restore

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC DINC 2

Original Kernel Restore

Ok, I'm a noob at this in some cases but am learning. Yesterday I flashed a deprimed kernel under CM7 using kernel manager lite on my OG Droid. After doing this I wondered what I would have to do if I needed to restore my original kernel. Like a noob, I didn't make a nandroid backup before doing this. Is this the step I should have taken if I wanted to restore my stock kernel? Or what do I do in that case? Thanks again for the help!

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet) ;-)
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Look to see if the stock kernel is available. You should be able to flash it the same way you did the new one (after you backup of course). If you aren't experiencing any problems now with the new kernel just make a backup of what you have. Then you can flash whatever you want and still have the backup to fall back on if something gets screwed up or you start into a bootloop. Hope that answers your question. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC DINC 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid Firefighter View Post
    Look to see if the stock kernel is available. You should be able to flash it the same way you did the new one (after you backup of course). If you aren't experiencing any problems now with the new kernel just make a backup of what you have. Then you can flash whatever you want and still have the backup to fall back on if something gets screwed up or you start into a bootloop. Hope that answers your question. Good luck!

That helps quite a bit. Would that be a nandroid backup I should create now then? It's working fine so far. Also, where would I look for the stock kernel if I needed to? My wife has a stock OG Droid, could I get it from there somehow? Many thanks again!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    A little story on the backup deal. I formatted my SD card to get rid of the crap on it. Shortly after the ROM I was using had an update. Since I had already backedup I wiped everything and installed the update. Well guess what, the update was just that, not the full rom so my phone bootlooped with no OS on it. I went to access my backups and they were gone because I had formatted my card. I went to the rom section on droidforums and downloaded the rom, flashed it and it worked with zero problems. Having a backup saves you a few steps, but not having one isn't the end of the world. At least for the OG Droid anyways.

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    If you know enough about programming you could pull the kernal out and install it on your phone. However a search for the "stock Droid kernal" would be easier. Keep in mind if you are using a non stock rom they may be built with a specific type of kernal in mind. What type of recovery are you using? Clockwork (ROM manager), RZR? You can create a backup in either and it will be fine.

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC DINC 2
    Ok, cool. Did you do that flash using RSDLite? As you can see, I'm stumbling around a little bit here on some of this, but learning as I go! I have a few total backups of my SD card on my computer (need to make a new one soon, too). So far I've been using ROM manager to flash my ROMs but don't think that will work if the phone won't boot up for some reason. I did use RSDLite to root my phone so I have a small amount of experience using that.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    IMHO, throw rom mangler out the window. Boot into recovery and flash everything through that. The best way to get a rom installed is to download them to a pc then transfer them to your sd. Or download them from the web with your phone. If you go that route, wifi is better. But using a pc is more reliable. Then boot into recovery and flash.

You say the phone wont boot up. Can you get to recovery by holding power + X?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    No I only used rsd to root. When you flash a new rom/kernal/theme you just save it to your SD card. Connect your phone via USB then pull down the notifications and tap on "connect to your computer to transfer files". Your phone will show up on your computer as a removable storage device. Download your files to there on the root of your SD card (not into any folders). Disconnect from the computer. Go into rom manager and select install rom from SD card. It doesn't matter if its a rom or theme or whatever, its just how rom manager knows where to look for the file. Once you find the file you want tap on it. Rom manager will ask if you want to wipe data and cache. If you are installing a new rom, always do this. If you are doing a new kernal, theme, or update and it doesn't say to wipe then you don't have to. After the data/cache wipe your file will install.

If that isn't clear let me know which part I messed you up on. I'd be more than happy to explain

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    CJ he isn't having problems. He just has a few questions. I was going to discuss other recovery options for him later.

Last edited by Droid Firefighter; 05-06-2011 at 09:27 AM.
  11. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    So far I've been using ROM manager to flash my ROMs but don't think that will work if the phone won't boot up for some reason.
    Ok. Thats why I asked.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links