DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How I'm Getting Great Gingerbread Performance

1. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigee1212 View Post
    lastly, the thing that is truly making my phone fly, (and i thought it was enabled by default...)

build.prop edit:

in the openGL section add the line

debug.sf.hw=1

it should be right before ro.opengles.version = ######

this is an awesome mod, also while ur in there you can permantly change the density too i made mine 210. launcherpro seriously flies with this enabled, and the scrolling and overall responsiveness is much better.. i dunno if its just in my head or not, but def try this on your phone.
    What do these two changes do? Also, where are they located?

Edit: Ok, I found it in /system/build.prop. Still curious what each of these mods do?

When referring to density, are you talking about the file: ro.sf.lcd_density=240? Change this to 210? What's this do?
    Last edited by sbenson; 05-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by litso View Post
    lastly, the thing that is truly making my phone fly, (and i thought it was enabled by default...)

build.prop edit:

debug.sf.hw=1

this is an awesome mod, also while ur in there you can permantly change the density too i made mine 210. launcherpro seriously flies with this enabled, and the scrolling and overall responsiveness is much better.. i dunno if its just in my head or not, but def try this on your phone.
    I just made this mod and I can confirm that it definitely smooths out scrolling and other things. I noticed it primarily in the new Google Music app. When you go into landscape mode in album view, without the mod the scrolling was laggy and it took awhile for new album art to load. With this mod scrolling is buttery smooth and album art loads almost as fast as I can scroll. It also seems to have sped up the phone in other ways too. I attribute this to much of the UI stuff being offloaded to the GPU, allowing the CPU more cycles for other things. Thanks for the heads up!

glad it worked! from what i have read, it can cause artifacting on some phones, so for anyone that is willing to try this, please make a backup just in case.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by sbenson View Post

build.prop edit:

debug.sf.hw=1

What do these two changes do? Also, where are they located?

Edit: Ok, I found it in /system/build.prop. Still curious what each of these mods do?

When referring to density, are you talking about the file: ro.sf.lcd_density=240? Change this to 210? What's this do?

from what i can tell, the debug.sf.hw=1 can either be a value of 0 or 1. 0 is where the mod is disabled, and 1 is where it is enabled. it supposedly activates the gpu in the droid (still need verification on this).

the density mod is like resolution on your computer screen. 240 is the default. lowering the value gives you more desktop space (makes the icons smaller). 210 is what i have found to be a good value. if you dont want to permantly change this value, try LCD Density in the market. it makes the mod but it won't persist on hard reboot. good luck
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Interesting....it could be placebo effect but setting debug.sf.hw=1 seems to have made a difference. Then again, my phones performance is always pretty good after a reboot for a few hours at least.

Quandrant doesn't agree with it though....my score went down but then again, I don't really give much credence to Quandrant. It really doesn't seem to be an accurate reflection of real-world performance.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    debug.sf.hw=1 doesn't enable the GPU per se, that's always enabled. It simply tells the phone to use the GPU for rendering the UI and animations, as opposed to the CPU. This is why it seems to make swiping and scrolling seem much snappier. It could account for the lower quandrant score also, being that the GPU is taking on an additional load, resulting in fewer resources for the 3D render tests that quadrant performs.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by litso View Post
    debug.sf.hw=1 doesn't enable the GPU per se, that's always enabled. It simply tells the phone to use the GPU for rendering the UI and animations, as opposed to the CPU. This is why it seems to make swiping and scrolling seem much snappier. It could account for the lower quandrant score also, being that the GPU is taking on an additional load, resulting in fewer resources for the 3D render tests that quadrant performs.
    thanks for the clarification!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I tried the debug.sf.hw =1 and everything seemed to be working very smoothly. But when I tried to play a video, the sound would work fine but the picture seemed to be frozen. Anyone else encounter this? Or maybe I did something wrong when entering tthe line in build.prop?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I take it we should probably reboot after applying the change/changes to the /system/build.prop file? Regarding the lcd.density, I think that is a pretty useful tweak that can have it's benefits in certain situations, but at 210 my keyboard was just soooo freaking small in portrait mode haha, I thought I had the tiny cellphone from Zoolander.
    Last edited by meishkov; 05-13-2011 at 10:18 PM.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by meishkov View Post
    I take it we should probably reboot after applying the change/changes to the /system/build.prop file. Regarding the lcd.density, I think that is a pretty useful tweak that can have it's benefits in certain situations, but at 210 my keyboard was just soooo freaking small in portrait mode haha, I thought I had the tiny cellphone from Zoolander.
    lmao yeah the keyboard does change in size unfortunately, but when i got used to 210, going back to 240 seemed strange. 210 is what i can type on comfortably now.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

EDIT:

Running my cm7 7.0.3 pretty differently now.

first i use [Script] V6 SuperCharger !! HTK & BulletProof Launchers! FIX MEMORY FOR ALL ANDROIDS! - xda-developers

v6, this is an awesome script with minfree values... 6, 12, 25, 28, 30, 30

using deprimed bumblee gov. at 900. this gives me awesome battery life upward 20 hrs.

as for swap and compcache, ive entirely stopped using swap, too many drawbacks and bugginess on my phone, still using 18% compcache.

build.prop edit:

debug.sf.hw=1

Thanks for the suggestions. I've recently rooted my Droid, flashed CM 7.0.3, and installed Prime's kernel with a max of 1.1 ghz on vsel 70. In setCPU i've just been using 1.0 ghz as the highest setting though. Phone is waaay more responsive than ever before. I'm very happy overall.

My only issue is that ever since I flashed CM 7 (started on CM 7.0.2) I've missed some text messages and I'm still getting pretty frequent redraws. Additionally, Screebl shuts down pretty regularly. Obviously, that's not good. Apparently this is because Gingerbread uses too much RAM for the OG Droid? I've seen a few posters talking about the Supercharge script and the build.prop edit. The supercharge script seems pretty simple....looks like you just run it through Scriptmanager and it does the rest. Is that correct?

Can you or somebody explain (step by step) how to do the build.prop edit?

Also, are there any potential negatives to the supercharge script or the build.prop edit? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm really good at following directions, but i'm still learning some of the terminology. Some of the instructions out there are still a bit overwhelming to me.

Thanks in advance.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links