DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SetCPU and Gingerbread

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE

SetCPU and Gingerbread

Ok, So ive been reading around, and some are reporting that Setcpu isnt playing nicely with gingerbread. I personally have not experienced any problems, but i am interested in optimizing my phone. So what are the problems people are having and did using the built in settings fix them?

And one thing stopping me from getting rid of setcpu is the cpu temp monitoring. my gps can cause my phone to overheat, and the warning/automatic underclock does come in quite handy. Any ideas?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Rooted
    Stock ICS
    No SetCPU

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    I was the same way, I got rid of setcpu yesterday. I had had no previous probs on GB but wanted to test it for myself. I had to get an app from the market "tempmonitor" to check the temp. I have not seen any increase or decrease in performance or battery yet, but ime give it a couple more days to make sure.

done with thumbs
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    does temp monitor do cpu temp, and is it paid or free?
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Rooted
    Stock ICS
    No SetCPU
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Does cpu and battery, there is a free and a donate....keeps up in real time. Was worried it would be a battery hog but I have not seen a difference from before and after the app

done with thumbs
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    I'm running launcher pro +.....and just set it to one of my "swipe up gestures" for quick access

done with thumbs
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Jimmy,

Is that swipe gesture on your unlock screen? I could not find any other LP pro gesture settings.

Jerr,

It might kinda hard to nail down exactly whether setcpu is specifically causing folks issues. Everyone running GB is experimenting these days, trying to deal with the additional aggressive memory management. When you say your GPS is getting your phone warm, is it the gps chip itself, transferring heat to other components? I remember back in the early eclair days, my phone seemed to get pretty warm doing gps things. Right now with GB and prime's OCing, I can run GPS till the cows come home and my phone stays cool. I have not tested in navigation, just maps and my other gps apps but the phone stays cool. It could be a situation where your kernel of choice, and your top speed and governer are giving you issues, issues that the setcpu profile helps mitigate, but does not address possible root causes.

My primary concern with setcpu these days is that it has not been updated in a long time. Certainly not since GB came out. While this may mean absolutely nothing, I find it hard to believe that a program as robust as Setcpu, mixed in with the new memory management of GB does not need some tweaking? Again, that is just WAGing.

What I do know is that Setcpu is using resources. If you have profiles running, then depending upon what type of profiles, setcpu can be polling battery status, temperature and a whole host of things related to the cpu slots and voltages. With the ability to control upper and lower speeds as well as governor in CM settings, and your slots and voltages with prime's work (or MSOC) it does make intuative sense to at least ask whether setcpu is necessary at all. I think a lot of us are testing now, and we should see more feedback as this GB experience extends.

Craig
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Craig, no its on the dockbar....for example I long pressed my browser icon (far right) and this screen pops up...

Select swipe gesture action, I went to applications and selected tempmonitor.
    Works great for quickdials awsell!

Turns ur 3 docks into basically 6
    done with thumbs
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    X
    is there no overclock on cm7 yet then? ive been a DX user and just got a D1 to play with. so dont scold me for silly questions please =] lol ive been trying to do some reading on kernels for gb/cm7. does this have anything to do with setcpu not working?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Yes there's overclock settings in cm7

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Jimmy,

Thanks, I will have to play with that. Cool.

Craig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links