DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CM7 - Swap? Compcache? Both?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    Sparkimus
    Phone
    Moto Droid RAZR MAXX
    I now have a droid with almost 3GB of RAM >.>

Did 10% somehow translate into 10 times?

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
    $free
    total used free shared buffers
    Mem: 231368 229248 2120 0 192
    Swap: 2719736 4880 2714856
    Total: 2951104 234128 2716976
    $

And sorry OP.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    Sparkimus
    Phone
    Moto Droid RAZR MAXX
    Here's set at 26%

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
    $ free
    total used free shared buffers
    Mem: 231368 229324 2044 0 128
    Swap: 2878456 4216 2874240
    Total: 3109824 233540 2876284
    $

This makes no sense.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. Kernel Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    f1vefour
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus Toro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    You need to wipe it appears, PM me your /system/bin/compcache file contents.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Just wanted to report back that I have gotten swap, compcache, and apps to sd-ext all working on CM7. I like the apps2sdext a lot since now I don't have to worry about running out of space. I just made a 512mb partition with rom manager and used simple2ext to set it up. I wish there was a way to have some apps in data and some in the ext partition since now I have like 140mb free in data but it seems that you must have all the apps on the sd-ext partition as it basically just makes your /data/app directory point to the sdcard partition from what I can tell. It works well though overall and I don't notice any significant slowdown from it. Plus it is nice to not have your apps go away and get reloaded whenever you mount your sd card to your pc as they do with froyo apps2sd.

I also have been playing around with sdcard swap space. It actually worked surprisingly well for me using the 128mb swap space I set up. With low swapiness it wasn't doing much but around 40-60 it was much more active and multitasking was greatly improved. For example I could have xScope open with multiple tabs, go run some other programs, then go back to xScope and pages would all still be there and don't have to reload. Also some people have reported being able to use it to play games like Dungeon Defenders on their Droid, which require 256mb ram free to play, although I haven't personally tried out any cutting edge games like this yet. Unfortunately people reported that when playing a game like DD with swap on they would miss calls and texts while playing since everything else in the phone's OS is basically frozen in SD card ram (of course without swap you can't even play the game). From reading other info about swap it seems that people encountered slowdown with smaller swap spaces (like 32mb) when the swap space would get full. I used it for a day straight and didn't see any major slowdown, likely because my larger 128mb swap space was always only around 50% full so it could easily transfer more things in and out of swap. One of the nicest features about swap is it is easily turned on and off via Swapper 2 without requiring a reboot. Opinions vary as to how quickly using swap on your sdcard will kill it so I will likely just keep it off most of the time and turn it on if I want to do something memory intensive.

I have been using compcache as well (although I haven't tried running it with my swap space turned on). It provides some ram improvement but not as much as the 128mb swap, but it of course has the upside of not wearing down your sdcard. I'll likely use it normally and only turn on swap when I need it. Tons of people have already discussed their experiences with compcache so I won't talk much about it here.

Anyway I think there are definitely some things to be gained from these features and encourage others to try it out. Apps like Rom Manager, Swapper 2, and simple2ext make everything really simple and Prime's work on the kernel makes setting up compcache a breeze.
    Project Elite v6.5 Link2SD for apps on sdext and Super Freaking Charged thanks to ZepplinRox!
    Thanks to all the devs out there keeping the OG Droid running strong!
    Join Dropbox for all your file storage and sharing needs, join from this link to give me more space
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    GF,

Great write-up. I have a couple of questions, if you have the time. First, does the contents of your sd-ext contain everything that is usually in /data on the phone. I am very curious about /data/data on the card. As this contains the data files for all data and system apps wondering if installing new roms presents any difficulties for wiping. Or even your restore methodology. Would a program like Titanium even play nice here at all.

Second, would there be any limitations to the size of sd-ext and the number of programs possible? I think in the middle of our older long compcache thread, or perhaps in another a member was playing with this and I seem to remember him having problems still trying to get everything he wanted on the phone. This would have been froyo, so perhaps that is my answer.

And I think you really nailed down a solution for those debating the swap file issue. Use it if you really need the swap for particular application/scenario, and perhaps turn it off if not needed for routine chores. Interesting stuff. While I do not play any real games, I am interested in graphic programs in general, and the one cad program that we have in the market specifically, and memory is probably gonna severly limit that particular program.

Thanks,

Craig
  6. Kernel Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    f1vefour
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus Toro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Bear apps2ext as I call it can be as large as you like, individual things can be placed there (everything doesn't have to go there). If you want to try a swap file do this:

Code:
    su
    busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/swap.swp bs=128K count=480
    mkswap /sdcard/swap.swp
    swapon /sdcard/swap.swp
    echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    This will give you 60 Megabyte of swap.

*edit*
    Basically /data becomes a symlink to /sdext/partition/data and everything will be placed in /sdext/partition/data thinking its being placed in /data

*edit addendum*
    Checkout the app Link2sd , it allows individual apps to be linked among other things.....very very cool.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Prime,

Thanks. I do not need it yet, but your post is going in my permanent program data storage for future use, if needed.

Thanks again,

Craig
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    GF,

Great write-up. I have a couple of questions, if you have the time. First, does the contents of your sd-ext contain everything that is usually in /data on the phone. I am very curious about /data/data on the card. As this contains the data files for all data and system apps wondering if installing new roms presents any difficulties for wiping. Or even your restore methodology. Would a program like Titanium even play nice here at all.

Second, would there be any limitations to the size of sd-ext and the number of programs possible? I think in the middle of our older long compcache thread, or perhaps in another a member was playing with this and I seem to remember him having problems still trying to get everything he wanted on the phone. This would have been froyo, so perhaps that is my answer.

And I think you really nailed down a solution for those debating the swap file issue. Use it if you really need the swap for particular application/scenario, and perhaps turn it off if not needed for routine chores. Interesting stuff. While I do not play any real games, I am interested in graphic programs in general, and the one cad program that we have in the market specifically, and memory is probably gonna severly limit that particular program.

Thanks,

Craig
    No problem, I'm just glad there are at least a couple people checking out this thread and getting involved in the discussion.

Restoring apps has been no problem through both the market and Titanium backup. I have successfully used Ti Backup to restore both apps and data with the sd-ext partition. Also most of the stuff in data is untouched, just the folders you choose to move over go on sd-ext. I used simple2ext to set up my apps2sdext and it was very simple as the name implies. With it you can choose to move any or all of /data/app, /data/app-private, /data/dalvik-cache, and /cache to your sd-ext partition. The rest of /data is untouched and it basically tricks the system into thinking /sd-ext/app is /data/app. Currently once you move the apps it can't be undone (although it says in future versions it will add the ability to undo). To undo it currently you would probably either need to restore a nandroid backup from before using simple2ext or just wipe and start fresh. Clockworkmod recovery is designed with sd-ext in mind so when you do a factory reset with CMR it will wipe your /sd-ext/app folder just as it would wipe /data/app.

As far as size limitations for sd-ext, there is no limit that I know of although in rom manager the largest partition it will make is 512MB (I have 157 apps total and only use ~210MB). However you can search on how to manually partition the sdcard if you think that won't be enough. Unlike Froyo apps2sd all of the apps are moved completely to the sdcard so you can install apps until you completely fill the sd-ext partition. One limitation of simple2ext is that you can't choose to install apps to the phone's internal memory (unless you put them in /system). From what I have read though firerat worked on an apps2sdext script that also used a /data/app-i/ folder so that users could choose to have some apps on the phone's memory and some on /sd-ext. Right now I have about 120MB of available space in data that isn't getting used so it would be nice to have the option to put some apps in /data. I don't know if I can switch over now that I have set everything up with simple2ext but maybe when a CM stable release comes I'll wipe and start over with firerat's script, of course there may be updates to simple2ext by then.

I have one question that maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer. I have read that SD cards use "wear leveling" to try to insure that the same part of the memory isn't written to over and over which would cause certain parts of the memory to wear out faster than the rest. My question is how does partitioning the sd-card memory effect this. Will the read/write for swap only occur on the same part of the sdcard's memory thus wearing it down faster? Also could I corrupt that partition and still have the remaining partitions work or would the whole thing die all at once?
    Project Elite v6.5 Link2SD for apps on sdext and Super Freaking Charged thanks to ZepplinRox!
    Join Dropbox for all your file storage and sharing needs, join from this link to give me more space
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    Bear apps2ext as I call it can be as large as you like, individual things can be placed there (everything doesn't have to go there). If you want to try a swap file do this:

Code:
    su
    busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/swap.swp bs=128K count=480
    mkswap /sdcard/swap.swp
    swapon /sdcard/swap.swp
    echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    This will give you 60 Megabyte of swap.

*edit*
    Basically /data becomes a symlink to /sdext/partition/data and everything will be placed in /sdext/partition/data thinking its being placed in /data

*edit addendum*
    Checkout the app Link2sd , it allows individual apps to be linked among other things.....very very cool.
    That Link2sd app looks very cool. I wish I had know about it before as I would have likely used it instead of simple2ext so I could pick and choose what apps to move over. Oh well, I can always wipe and set things up again.
    Member #
    Phone
    Golden Unicorn GNex !
    Anyway to get a Prime Compcache sticky? Having to find responses and suggestions is a chore.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links