DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Kernel clock speed reverting to 600

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Kernel clock speed reverting to 600

So I've been experiencing a strange problem that I've never had before... I've tried several kernels, and the same thing happens for each...

I am on CM 6.1.2 currently, with SetCPU installed as well, with no profiles setup. I really prefer the OC settings nested in the ROM settings or in the Spare Parts app, but CM doesn't have it that I could see, so I installed SetCPU pretty much only to be able to track my CPU.

I have tried toggling "set on boot" and intermittently using the "auto-detect" settings, and it hasn't worked. If I move the MAX slider down a little, then move it back to max, it works for a while before it reverts back to 600.

I've used ChevyNo1's ULV latest kernels (2nd gen bootlooped for me), Slayher's 1.6 and 1.7 SLV kernels, cvpcs 1.1GHz LV (ran HOT)...each was either 1000 MHz or 1100 MHz, but after a little while (less than an hour) my SetCPU widget shows that the MAX is set to 600. I open up SetCPU, click on "autodetect" and then move the slider to the max like I've always done. 30-45 minutes later, right back where I was @ 600. I'm also on the ondemand governor by default, since chevyno1's latest kernels don't have interactive (unless somewhere knows where I can grab them!...?)

Very frustrating, but I don't want to ditch CM over it, because it has some fun features. And the only ROM comparable in terms of features is UD which is bug hell imo (or heaven...depending on if you're the bug or a user...lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else experience this problem? Know of any potential fixes?

(I wiped 3x with install and am running the GB theme, but it has done it all along, not just with the theme. No other heavy-duty mods. Running LP instead of ADW.)

Thanks in advance!!

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I experienced that problem sort of when I was playing with the milestone overclock app and custom overclocking scripts. When I would unload the overclock module it would revert to 600 Mhz even though I was using the 800 Mhz default kernel. Have you been messing around with the Milestone OC app at all? If not maybe your phone is unloading the overclock module for some other reason. You could try going back to the stock kernel and using a custom OC script as outlined in this thread, maybe that will help you fix your problem, plus you will be using the stock CM kernel overclocked to whatever you want. I think someone even listed the vsel values for Chevy's kernels in the thread so you can copy those if you liked the Chevy ULV kernels. I have been using this method to OC rather than getting a new kernel from someone else and it has been running great for me. Good luck.
    Project Elite v6.5 Link2SD for apps on sdext and Super Freaking Charged thanks to ZepplinRox!
    Thanks to all the devs out there keeping the OG Droid running strong!
    Join Dropbox for all your file storage and sharing needs, join from this link to give me more space
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    You guys sound like you could be past this potential "problem" but when you set your speeds while unplugged from power or usb, then plug in, even with no profiles the phone speed will default at least on the low end. Worth checking?

Craig
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Also since you came from another rom maybe you still have left over files in your /system/lib/modules folder that are causing problems. You said you wiped 3x, I'm assuming that you mean you wiped data and cache? You can also use clockworkmod recovery to format the system partition, which would hopefully help get rid of any leftover stuff in /system from your old rom. When I was setting up my custom OC I followed this tutorial, which tells you to delete a bunch of extraneous .ko files in the /system/lib/modules folder and then you can install a fresh copy of the required modules. I had several extra .ko files when I followed the procedure but none of them were loaded when I typed lsmod so I deleted everything in that folder and installed the new files as per the instructions. Maybe if you clear out that folder and reinstall the stock kernel as they talk about in the tutorial it will help solve some of your problems.
    Project Elite v6.5 Link2SD for apps on sdext and Super Freaking Charged thanks to ZepplinRox!
    Thanks to all the devs out there keeping the OG Droid running strong!
    Join Dropbox for all your file storage and sharing needs, join from this link to give me more space
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post
    So I've been experiencing a strange problem that I've never had before... I've tried several kernels, and the same thing happens for each...

I am on CM 6.1.2 currently, with SetCPU installed as well, with no profiles setup. I really prefer the OC settings nested in the ROM settings or in the Spare Parts app, but CM doesn't have it that I could see, so I installed SetCPU pretty much only to be able to track my CPU.

I have tried toggling "set on boot" and intermittently using the "auto-detect" settings, and it hasn't worked. If I move the MAX slider down a little, then move it back to max, it works for a while before it reverts back to 600.

I've used ChevyNo1's ULV latest kernels (2nd gen bootlooped for me), Slayher's 1.6 and 1.7 SLV kernels, cvpcs 1.1GHz LV (ran HOT)...each was either 1000 MHz or 1100 MHz, but after a little while (less than an hour) my SetCPU widget shows that the MAX is set to 600. I open up SetCPU, click on "autodetect" and then move the slider to the max like I've always done. 30-45 minutes later, right back where I was @ 600. I'm also on the ondemand governor by default, since chevyno1's latest kernels don't have interactive (unless somewhere knows where I can grab them!...?)

Very frustrating, but I don't want to ditch CM over it, because it has some fun features. And the only ROM comparable in terms of features is UD which is bug hell imo (or heaven...depending on if you're the bug or a user...lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else experience this problem? Know of any potential fixes?

(I wiped 3x with install and am running the GB theme, but it has done it all along, not just with the theme. No other heavy-duty mods. Running LP instead of ADW.)

Thanks in advance!!

When you were doing this testing, where you by an chance plugged in with a charger?
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks for the quick replies! I re-flashed slayher's v1.6 1.1ghz slv kernel again over chevy's (11/5) 1.1ghz ulv and got it working again by setting my governor back to interactive (my preference). I did that around noon and it hasn't acted up since...so I'm thinking its fixed.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but my best guess is that something with the ondemand governor was off with that particular kernel. Perhaps it's because I've flashed that kernel a million times since it's my kernel of choice or if it was something else but I'll try to duplicate the issue and report back later tonight.

It was doing it whether I was plugged in or not, so I don't believe it was related to that. Also, I didn't see any funky scripts in my module directory (nothing said "hey it's me!), but I suppose it could use some maintenance just in case

Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by adsfa34; 01-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I started over from scratch(wiped everything including the system partition) last night and tried the same kernel and it was stable. Must've been leftover junk in mu /system/lib/modules folder.

Thanks for all the ideas. Glad it's all good now bc CM is just too cool to give up on!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Links