DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sapphire 1.1.1 kernel causes freeze turning on WiFi? (stock FRG22D)

  1. Junior Droid
    SDraconis's Avatar
    Member #
    112471
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    #1

    [Solved] Sapphire 1.1.1 kernel causes freeze turning on WiFi? (stock FRG22D)

    First thing to note is that I'm using stock FRG22D rooted via MotoCache1's method rather than a custom ROM. I'm currently just trying out different kernels.

    I ran the stock kernel at 125-800 for a little bit, and have been running Slayher's 900LV kernel for the past few days. I tried switching to cvpcs's 125-800LV kernel but had a freeze a minute in when I tried to turn on WiFi. Tried to reboot, but then froze up at the lock screen so I went back to Slayher's for the day. I'm assuming this freeze was due to WiFi already being on from the last attempt?

    Tonight I tried going to the SV version of that kernel to verify it's not a voltage issue. Things were running fine for a few minutes, but then froze up again when turning on WiFi. Again tried to reboot but was frozen at the lock screen (again assuming because WiFi was already turned on?).

    Are there known issues with cvpcs's kernels for Sapphire 1.1.1, or do you guys think it's because I'm trying to run them with stock FRG22D rather than actually installing the Sapphire ROM? I know it's theoretically possible to configure a kernel such that it won't work on a stock ROM (ex: configuring something as a module when the stock OS expects it to be in the kernel, but the custom ROM loads up the module), but I figured that kind of thing would be odd to do for Android ROMs especially given cvpcs's philosophy of not changing system things when unnecessary.
    Last edited by SDraconis; 09-15-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated title with [Solved]
  2. Master Droid
    billyidle's Avatar
    Member #
    12498
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    419
    Phone
    Droid
    #2
    I'm posting this via 1.1.1 with stock Sapphire kernel on WiFi, no issues here.
  3. Developer Relations
    tp7six's Avatar
    Member #
    61666
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,512
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    #3
    All kernels act differently on different devices/ROMs you just need to find a magic combination that works across the board for you ie: the coolest temps along with the best battery life and performance, it is possible for both of us to have a MotoDroid and be running Sapphire 1.1.1 and Slahyer 1Ghz kernel and while it might work great for you I might have heat and browser close issues

    It all just depends, keep looking and when you find something that works, stick with it

  4. Droid Ninja
    pdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    43531
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,253
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SDraconis View Post
    First thing to note is that I'm using stock FRG22D rooted via MotoCache1's method rather than a custom ROM. I'm currently just trying out different kernels.

    I ran the stock kernel at 125-800 for a little bit, and have been running Slayher's 900LV kernel for the past few days. I tried switching to cvpcs's 125-800LV kernel but had a freeze a minute in when I tried to turn on WiFi. Tried to reboot, but then froze up at the lock screen so I went back to Slayher's for the day. I'm assuming this freeze was due to WiFi already being on from the last attempt?

    Tonight I tried going to the SV version of that kernel to verify it's not a voltage issue. Things were running fine for a few minutes, but then froze up again when turning on WiFi. Again tried to reboot but was frozen at the lock screen (again assuming because WiFi was already turned on?).

    Are there known issues with cvpcs's kernels for Sapphire 1.1.1, or do you guys think it's because I'm trying to run them with stock FRG22D rather than actually installing the Sapphire ROM? I know it's theoretically possible to configure a kernel such that it won't work on a stock ROM (ex: configuring something as a module when the stock OS expects it to be in the kernel, but the custom ROM loads up the module), but I figured that kind of thing would be odd to do for Android ROMs especially given cvpcs's philosophy of not changing system things when unnecessary.
    No issues of the type that you describe that I've heard with the kernels - for people running Sapphire.

    Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to run stock vs. say, Sapphire?
  5. Junior Droid
    SDraconis's Avatar
    Member #
    112471
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pdroid View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to run stock vs. say, Sapphire?
    Just taking things incrementally. I'm not big into themes, just trying to get some better performance with as little battery life hit as possible. It's also a lot easier to swap a kernel than to reconfigure after a wipe and ROM install .

    Quote Originally Posted by pdroid View Post
    No issues of the type that you describe that I've heard with the kernels - for people running Sapphire.
    I guess I'm in the minority of people, being weird and trying to run a cvpcs kernel without actually using a custom ROM.
  6. Junior Droid
    SDraconis's Avatar
    Member #
    112471
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    #6
    After toying around a little bit, I actually managed to get this solved by following an odd bit of advice from this post: my droid freezes and reboots with sapphire kernel

    Basically, I installed one of p3droid's kernels before installing the Sapphire kernel instead of going directly from Slayher's. Now I'm able to turn on WiFi fine and can reboot with WiFi on without freezing. Go figure. Running 125-800LV.
    Last edited by SDraconis; 09-15-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Typo
  7. Droid Ninja
    wingdo's Avatar
    Member #
    38467
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,037
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SDraconis View Post
    After toying around a little bit, I actually managed to get this solved by following an odd bit of advice from this post: my droid freezes and reboots with sapphire kernel

    Basically, I installed one of p3droid's kernels before installing the Sapphire kernel instead of going directly from Slayher's. Now I'm able to turn on WiFi fine and can reboot with WiFi on without freezing. Go figure. Running 125-800LV.

    Wow.

    This may stem from Slayher having all modules installed as default as opposed to just those which are truly needed. Perhaps P3 does a better job cleaning this out since you can add only the modules you want to with his so perhaps his kernel does a better job of clearing out old modules. Other than that I've got nothing.

    Galaxy S4: Stock 4.2.2
    Transformer Infinity TF700: Rooted / CromiX 4.5 (4.2.1)

    D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Galaxy S4
  8. Droid Ninja
    pdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    43531
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,253
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    #8
    I've heard of this issue before, I wonder if formatting the boot partition before switching kernels would alleviate the issues.
  9. Junior Droid
    SDraconis's Avatar
    Member #
    112471
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    25
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
    This may stem from Slayher having all modules installed as default as opposed to just those which are truly needed. Perhaps P3 does a better job cleaning this out since you can add only the modules you want to with his so perhaps his kernel does a better job of clearing out old modules. Other than that I've got nothing.
    That was my best guess too. I also know that some people were having trouble with Slayher's WiFi module (boot loops), so he posted another one for people to try. The programmer in me had half a mind to dig through the install scripts or do some testing to see what Slayher's kernel might be leaving behind or P3Droid's kernel might be clearing, but I'm lazier than I used to be when tinkering with this stuff .

    I figured it's working and I should just post my results in case anyone else hit the same issue.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [Official] FRG22D STOCK
    By woodyman in forum Droid Concepts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
  2. accepting ota frg22d with p3 kernel?
    By dmi518 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
  3. OTA FRG22D stock release 8/24
    By captdroid in forum cvpcs
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM
  4. The next Sapphire will be FRG22D!
    By kennydied23 in forum cvpcs
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 05:18 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Search tags for this page

android freezes boot when wifi is on kernel voltage
,
android turning on wifi freezes phone
,
android wifi turning on stock
,
droid a855 freezes on wifi
,
freeze after turn on wifi android
,
nexus one wifi freezing#gsc.tab
,

s4 wifi freeze

,
turning on wifi freezes droid phone
,

why my android freezes up when i turn on wi fi

,
wifi causing freezing android
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+