DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Navigation Running Hot

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Navigation Running Hot

I have had this issue no matter what ROM i run. WHen in navigation in my car dock the phone runs very hot to the touch. My Temp goes from 20-22c up to 48-50c in no time. Makes me very leery to run Navigation with this phone.

Does a stock non-rooted phone run hot? I have tried Sapphire (favorite so far by far), BB, Cyan, etc... They all run hot with navigation.

Makes me want to go back stock as i fear i am hurting the phone.

Anybody else running hot with Nav??

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ThunderBolt
    Although most stock non-rooted users are not monitoring temps, I'd like to hear what they experience while running Nav for any peroid of time.

I've seen many posts saying that you should go into SetCPU and bump your max speed down to near stock speed while using Nav. Give it a try and let us know if that lowers your temps.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yeah, when running the nav I always set my phone speed to about 600 mhz, otherwise it heats up and has caused my phone to reboot. I just have a profile set to lower it to 600mhz when it's plugged in, and I always plug my phone in when using nav as it destroys the battery.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Nav is the most processor intensive, battery eating app there is. Temps will be high when running it - that's just the way it is. As others have said, make sure you have temp thresholds set in your SetCPU profiles, and/or lower your max clock speeds when running Nav. FWIW, I was running Nav for an hour+ last week with a 1 GHz LV kernel, and didn't get a freeze-up or reboot.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Tried that - actually set speed to stock 550 and it still ran hot. Thats why i wanted to see what a stock phone did. I agree they cant monitor temps - but you can def feel it is very hot when you touch it. :-)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ThunderBolt
    I agree with pdroid in that Nav will run hot no matter what you do. The only adjustments I've found that work are lowering the max speed, and moving my dock out of direct sunlight and near an AC vent.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks - so at what temp should i "worry" if i am running Nav for a while? I did try the AC vent trick and it did help lower temps about 5-6 degrees. :-)
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    i know its not a fix but 48C isnt that hot...i mean its hot but i work in a kitchen and not doing anything in my pocket the phone is at 45-50C...while browsing or streaming back there ive gotten up to 55...this worried me for obvious reasons but after doing research...the battery is rated for 60C and your processor 70C that 10 degrees is a huge buffer zone, i wouldnt worry about using navi
  10. LT*
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr HD
    I'm running Sapphire 1.1.0 now, and as has been said, when in Nav, it gets HOT. I either have to run my AC through the defroster so it hits the mount on the windshield, or stop nav and let it cool down. Just yesterday, I hit 55C on my way home. No sun out to speak of either. Luckily SetCPU alerted me at around 47c, and again at 55c. At that point I shut down Nav and let it cool. I didn't seem to run as hot on 1.0, and I'm using the same Kernel with 1.1. I'm going to keep an eye on it and maybe switch Kernels if this keeps up.

Links