DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: New Droid from insurance, and my first problems with Sapphire... kernel related?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

New Droid from insurance, and my first problems with Sapphire... kernel related?

So I dropped my old phone in the toilet last week and got my new one in the mail today. I immediately rooted and installed sapphire. On my old phone I never had a single problem with Sapphire but on this one my browser just crashes, no FCs, just a crash to the home screen and I've had two random reboots in the past 30 mins.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the kernel? I used to use on my old phone the 1.2ghz low voltage kernel but when I installed Sapphire from rom manager today I accidentally picked med voltage. Could my phone be telling me that med voltage is not the right choice? I haven't even downloaded setcpu yet but I know sapphire overclocks by default (I think anyway). If this is a problem with the kernel how do I know which one to use? Is the voltage what matters or are some CPUs just not capable of being clocked higher? I really don't know anything about any of this stuff so if someone could help me out and explain it a little better for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity92c View Post
    So I dropped my old phone in the toilet last week and got my new one in the mail today. I immediately rooted and installed sapphire. On my old phone I never had a single problem with Sapphire but on this one my browser just crashes, no FCs, just a crash to the home screen and I've had two random reboots in the past 30 mins.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the kernel? I used to use on my old phone the 1.2ghz low voltage kernel but when I installed Sapphire from rom manager today I accidentally picked med voltage. Could my phone be telling me that med voltage is not the right choice? I haven't even downloaded setcpu yet but I know sapphire overclocks by default (I think anyway). If this is a problem with the kernel how do I know which one to use? Is the voltage what matters or are some CPUs just not capable of being clocked higher? I really don't know anything about any of this stuff so if someone could help me out and explain it a little better for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Dumped your DROID in the crapper eh?

Anyway, yes sounds like a problem with your phone and the kernel and or corruption.

Go here and download a 125-800 LV (low voltage) or 125-800 SV (standard voltage) kernel and install the kernel like a ROM (but don't wipe before installing the kernel)

You may want to also start over and do a clean install of Sapphire then the 125-800 kernel of your choice thus eliminating any potential corruption.
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    yes different phones will handle overclocking differently. You just have to try out a few until you find one that will be stable on your phone. Start with a 800MHz kernel and work your way up until you start getting the reboots or crashes again. Then you will know the upper limit of what your phone can handle.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @TheArmyOf2
    Phone
    OG Moto Droid Fo' Shizzle
    man yeah my roommates replacement phone sucks...drops calls etc...he's talking about breaking it again in a bout amonth so he can replace with the D2 or Dinc
    Of all the things I've lost,I miss my mind the most.

Links