DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why such a lack in theme choices?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid / red Incredible 2

Why such a lack in theme choices?

Don't post here much, mainly just read, but I was just curious why there seem to be very few themes for 4.7 or SS in general..... I dont see why anyone would want to use any other rom when Chevy's run smooth and he makes evertthing so simple.

I like and use the blue theme, but had to put Lithium mod on the womans phone so she could have a purple theme....... And I dont much like it.

Hope I dont sound like an ass, especially since I dont contribute anything........ Maybe I will try to learn a little

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Seconded...LOL
    I'm kinda the same as him!

more themes=yes please, SS 4.7 is the SH*T!
    mad props chevy
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    since this post is here, I read your Q&A on droid-life and you were asking why people use other dev's ROMs and not, SS well I hope this doesn't turn into a flame fest. As OP stated, the lack of themes here can be attributed to this somewhat. Roms with tons of themes and screenshots are kind of like self advertising.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'm really dying for Alternative Black. I love the simplicity of the theme.
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushBandit View Post
    Don't post here much, mainly just read, but I was just curious why there seem to be very few themes for 4.7 or SS in general.....Maybe I will try to learn a little
    Here is a good pointer if you are wishing to learn

A theme is basically editing to some .xml files and alot of .png changes, I have noticed with SS 4.7 if you were to "Port" a theme over from another source the .xml files do not need to be changed...Chevy has made his ROM very easy to theme yourself

I have a theme (collection of .png files) I take with me from ROM to ROM, it took me one day to get my theme onto SS 4.7

Changes need to be made in

framework-res.apk
    phone.apk
    contacts.apk
    browser.apk

everything else in SS is a nice dark smoked esque look and can go with almost anything

The framework will target all icons you see in the notification bar the notification bar itself, the popup boxes, basically all of the things you see without launching an app, the lock screen, the pull down...(there are over 500 .png files in the framework)

This is not as difficult as it might seem...if you are really interested grab "Root Explorer" from the market and navigate to system/framework and long press the framework-res.apk and paste it on your SD card then get it to your computer

Rename it framework-res.zip and open it up go to res/drawable-hdpi and you will see all the images that a "Theme" consists of (you would have to pull and edit some other .apk files to complete the entire theme process as stated above)

Find a theme you would like to port and contact the creator and ask if you can port it over for personal use...it is almost as easy as opening the framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi of SS4.7 and the same folder on the theme you would like to port over, clicking and dragging , and then putting everything back where it belongs.

If you are interested in digging deeper into the world of theming I would be glad to answer any questions you might have

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    The only themes I've liked are the original Adamz smoked glass and the gala s theme, both of which nobody has brought to SS. I use the stock theme, it has the highest readability.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    The only themes I've liked are the original Adamz smoked glass
    My framework is derived directly from one of AdamZ old ROM's with the blue edgework, resulting in Smoked Glass SS 4.7

I might talk with Chevy and see if he minds if I release a SG theme for his ROM

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker76 View Post
    My framework is derived directly from one of AdamZ old ROM's with the blue edgework, resulting in Smoked Glass SS 4.7

I don't think chevy will mind, if it is anything like Adamz original stuff I would appreciate it.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker76 View Post

Sounds nice. Do you have any screen shots?
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I know Chevy said he was partial to ADW launcher. That app has some themes available to it. I switch from Gala S to Droix X to Alternate all the time, but I do wish those that did themes would start putting them up thru something like ADW so you would easily be able to change themes no matter what rom you are partial too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links