DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible DIFFERENT kind of redraw issue solution...

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

Smile Possible DIFFERENT kind of redraw issue solution...

I had noticed lately that more redraws were creeping back in for me on SS 4.6. On 4.5 I had reduced the LP redraws to very reasonable levels. So why had they come back? I installed 4.6 over the top and basically hadn't changed anything... in fact, I had actually uninstalled more things than I added.

Then something occurred to me... now, keep reading, this is NOT what you'd expect at first. On 4.5 I had tried the trick of using MinFreeManager and trying the "aggressive" settings. It hadn't improved my situation. So I then told MinFreeManager to set everything back to "default" presets, and apply at boot. Things eventually got faster again although I didn't attribute it at the time to that particular action.

So on 4.6 with more redraws, I thought, what if that default setting actually changed and iimproved things? If the default ROM settings are different, then repeating that step might change something. So last night, I opened MinFreeManger, applied default settings at boot, then rebooted.

And wouldn't you know it... immediately, less redraws! More speed!
    When I took my Droid off my desk dock this morning, the home screen even came up right away THEN... and usually, that particular action ALWAYS causes a redraw.

Anyone with SS 4.6 and launcherpro experiencing too many redraws still... give this a try... help me see if I'm not just smoking crack or something.

Oh and for the record... I use Widgetlocker with the home helper enabled, but I no longer use quickdesk or anything else that gets in the way. 3 screens, only a few widgets, 2D app drawer... and yet I was still getting those pesky redraws before doing this.
    Last edited by Phreaker47; 08-08-2010 at 03:38 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Eris
    I have this same problem but your solution did not work for me. I think the reboot helps temporarily but then comes back after bit. Anyone else with a solution?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I don't know.. but reboots in the past haven't helped me because I considered that right away.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by fbm111 View Post
    I have this same problem but your solution did not work for me. I think the reboot helps temporarily but then comes back after bit. Anyone else with a solution?
    i too kinda have the redraw issue, and i know a reboot fixes it so to me its a mem usage problem rather then software/hardware. but currently i am trying the minfree default settings deal and will report back later.
    Droid, with Simply Stunning v5
    ULV 1.25G clock speed
    Droid X, playing with ROM's
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    the redraw issues in 4.6 were so bad for me i couldn't stick with chevy which is sad b/c i usually spend 2 to 3 days on a rom b4 switching and he was still in my rotation but since i've flashed Ultimate Droid 6.0.0 i've had virtually no redraws the best since 2.1 even with 5 screens and few widgets(this was with stock launcher also which on Ultimate Droid has 4 dock positions) then i tried adw & LP and the redraws started back so i went back to the UD launcher and no redraws
    Go Vols!!! follow@jbrock98
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid and DX
    j- that sucks. maybe on 4.7 it will run better for you. so far mine is working a little snappier but then again it just rebooted while listening to pandora and posting on FB
    Droid, with Simply Stunning v5
    ULV 1.25G clock speed
    Droid X, playing with ROM's
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    Well I have to say that I did drop Task Panel and tried Minfreemanager, clicking the default and apply at boot, then rebooted. After 24 hours of normal use, I have noticed a marked difference for the better.

What I don't understand, is what the app is supposed to be doing for me. What do the different setting affect and so on.

But it helped.
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 777 View Post
    Well I have to say that I did drop Task Panel and tried Minfreemanager, clicking the default and apply at boot, then rebooted. After 24 hours of normal use, I have noticed a marked difference for the better.

What I don't understand, is what the app is supposed to be doing for me. What do the different setting affect and so on.

But it helped.
    It sets default memory allocations that can be made temporarily or at boot (permanent.. hence root access required). Initially the advice was to try the "aggressive" mode. But you'll notice this attempts to keep a lot of memory (96MB) free all the time, which can have other consequences. I don't pretend to understand how or why one type of setting might be better over another to keep the home screen from redrawing and/or to keep the phone running faster in general...

But now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to try "mild" for a while (just applying now but not permanently at boot) to see how it goes for a day.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I had a terrible redraw issues 01 s s 4.6 But what is fixed it 4 me Was checking the "keep launcher in memory" box in LP preferences. Not a single redraw since.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Eris
    Where can I find "lp preferences "?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links