DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel allowing AP mode for Wireless Tether?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Kernel allowing AP mode for Wireless Tether?

Chevy,

You've been making Kernels for a while, and they're awesome! I wanted to post this up there to see if it's even possible to include this into your kernels, or if it's too specific to the HTC incredible.

This guy enabled AP mode for his stock HTC Incredible Kernel. I wonder if you could port the code over into your kernel?

SUCCESS! Wireless tether in AP Mode (NOT ad-hoc) + WPA2 Encryption - xda-developers

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Was just doing searches for this exact topic. Also been running Chevy's ROMs for a while now.

So, I'm wondering the same thing here. Having trouble getting a couple of devices to actually pass data (according to the tether app, they DO connect but that's as far as things ever go). The obvious fix is to use the tether in infrastructure mode instead of IBSS.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolsaber57 View Post
    Chevy,

You've been making Kernels for a while, and they're awesome! I wanted to post this up there to see if it's even possible to include this into your kernels, or if it's too specific to the HTC incredible.

This guy enabled AP mode for his stock HTC Incredible Kernel. I wonder if you could port the code over into your kernel?

SUCCESS! Wireless tether in AP Mode (NOT ad-hoc) + WPA2 Encryption - xda-developers
    maybe it's just me...but doesn't having wifi enabled kinda defeat the purpose of ap mode?
    When life kicks you in the a$$...don't get mad, get even!...kick it back!

D1 SS-GBv5.5-1.25ulv
    D3 Rooted

Razr Maxx-stock JB
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MrC1122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolsaber57 View Post
    Chevy,

maybe it's just me...but doesn't having wifi enabled kinda defeat the purpose of ap mode?
    Having wifi on (Droid acting as a wifi client) means that you are not wanting to act as an AP in order to provide service to others. Maybe you've just misinterpreted the desire to have AP tethering.

If you want to allow others to connect to your Droid using wifi, it would typically mean that you are wanting to share your 3G connection with those wifi devices that would otherwise not have Internet access.
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I did look into this - what the dev is enabling is specific to a broadcom wifi chip that we do not have on our droids Can't seem to find anything similar
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    I did look into this - what the dev is enabling is specific to a broadcom wifi chip that we do not have on our droids Can't seem to find anything similar
    I was afraid of that.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    wow....that's going to be a major bummer if we cannot ever get real infrastructure mode tethering to work.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    Blame TI. They haven't released a firmware that enables AP mode. Check the N900 that has the same WL1271 chip. They don't have AP mode either.

This does suck as all the newer phones have it. ((
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Max
    Quote Originally Posted by ck42 View Post
    If you want to allow others to connect to your Droid using wifi, it would typically mean that you are wanting to share your 3G connection with those wifi devices that would otherwise not have Internet access.
    not entirely true...you can use wifi, (wireless tethering) and not share...simply use encryption, i do it all the time...or am i still missing something here?
    Last edited by MrC1122; 07-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.
    When life kicks you in the a$$...don't get mad, get even!...kick it back!

D1 SS-GBv5.5-1.25ulv
    D3 Rooted

Razr Maxx-stock JB
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by MrC1122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ck42 View Post
    not entirely true...you can use wifi, (wireless tethering) and not share...simply use encryption, i do it all the time...or am i still missing something here?
    Basically, we want to use our Droids as wifi hotspots for other devices (other phones, laptops, netbooks, game systems, etc). In most of these cases, we can't because the other devices (especially Android-based devices) cannot see ad-hoc networks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links