DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Partition or Not

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Extended Partition or Not

I am running SS4.2 and love it. I have moved the majority of my apps to SD. Now, after doing some reading, it seems as though you have to have an extended partition to run apps from SD. The first question ... Is that true and if so why are my apps running and reported to be on SD? The second question ... Is there any advantage to creating a partition and how would I use that partition to store apps? I have yet to be asked where I want to place the ones that I have moved to SD.

Overall, I guess you can see that, although I completely understand the concept of Apps to SD, the mechanics have completely eluded me. Any enlightenment will be greatly appreciated.

BigRedGonzo

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I'm not certain but I believe the original hackish implementations of apps on SD required a separate partition, but now that FroYo supports it natively it's not required.
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manicpop View Post
    I'm not certain but I believe the original hackish implementations of apps on SD required a separate partition, but now that FroYo supports it natively it's not required.
    Correct - in Froyo it is handled differently and the extra partition creation is not needed ...
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Manic and Chevy,

That is sort of what I thought, but I am certainly not an expert. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll leave the partitioning to those who need it.

BigRedGonzo
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic!
    I have moved multiple apps to the SD card and everything seemed fine, but when I rebooted my phone yesterday, now all the icons that belong to the apps on the SD card have turned into generic Android icons. Is there a fix for this, or should I move them back to my phone memory?
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    I have moved multiple apps to the SD card and everything seemed fine, but when I rebooted my phone yesterday, now all the icons that belong to the apps on the SD card have turned into generic Android icons. Is there a fix for this, or should I move them back to my phone memory?
    I would expect that for a bit after a boot - since it has to load the sdcard to see the apps. If it stays like that .. what happens when you click on one of the icons?
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic!
    They all work, they load the apps and function...you just have to remember which icon is which...
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    They all work, they load the apps and function...you just have to remember which icon is which...
    Odd indeed ... and even after repeated reboots, nothing??

10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I just noticed the same thing on mine. I have an app call Apps Organizer and all the desktop icons come up as the generic android thingy. I use Launcher Pro and if I restart it the all come back. I guess LP loads the desktop before Apps Organizer loads. I can live with this, but its a good thing that you don't have to reboot a droid often.

BigRedGonzo
  11. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedGonzo View Post
    I just noticed the same thing on mine. I have an app call Apps Organizer and all the desktop icons come up as the generic android thingy. I use Launcher Pro and if I restart it the all come back. I guess LP loads the desktop before Apps Organizer loads. I can live with this, but its a good thing that you don't have to reboot a droid often.

BigRedGonzo
    Which leads me to my next suggestion ... run the script klauncher in a terminal - it will restart whatever launcher is running

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links