DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need stablest ROM for wife: SS 4.2, or 3.3?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Need stablest ROM for wife: SS 4.2, or 3.3?

Looking for advice... wife is unhappy with her Droid and I only get limited time for troubleshooting it (or it makes her even unhappier.)

I would like to move her to Froyo, but it may be too early... am prepared to triple-wipe her Droid and do a fresh install, then re-install her apps and reconfigure EVERYTHING from scratch in an effort to get her completely stable.

She is currently on a Bguless build (latest before Froyo). She doesn't have FC issues, but she has maps issues and email sync issues (not with gmail; using SMTP for private site email.)

Am thinking I'll install K9 email for the mail problem, but am open to suggestions.

So the main question is: has SS 4.2 reached the point where it's REALLY stable, assuming she doesn't install a lot of apps (needs WiFi tether, everything else is negotiable)? Or is it still experimental, and a lot of apps out there cause problems, and maybe she'll be happier with the lower feature-set of 3.3 if it's stabler...

She dosn't need OC, so I only bump her to 800Mhz. If that were an issue, she'd be fine running stock speed. She doesn't complain of battery life.

Any stability advice welcome - even it's advice to use a different ROM. Or even to go stock... but she does need WiFi tether, so I at least need it rooted with a kernel that will accept tether.

Thanks in advance!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I have been running SS 4.2 for a few days now and it is stable. I haven't had any problems with apps or anything like that. I feel it is faster then 4.1 and bugless but that is just me. I can tell that unlocking is a lot smoother with 4.2. You can even use Chevy's script to back up all of her apps before installing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID by Motorola
    I was running 4.1 for over a week, and 4.2 for a few days, haven't had any issues.
  5. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Supercharged Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    SS 4.2 has been really stable for me and themed nice
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If it really is an absolute on Stability, I would suggest you use a prior 2.1 ROM from one of the developers. Froyo still has many issues.
    There is nothing made by man, which can not be undone.

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Your point is was my starting point... I believe SS 3.3 is 2.1-based ROM. Am open to suggestions for 2.1's. She is on the last Bugless 2.1 and unhappy... but if that is the most stable, I'm game to just reset and re-do her phone on Bugless... Note, that IS why I put her on "Bugless" in the first place.

Others - please keep the feedback coming!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    OG & TBolt yay!!
    I've been using SS 4.2 for a couple of days already, and this is by far one of the most stables Froyo ROM's out there. I really have no issues at all, well only one, my Facebook widget was not syncing at all, I just uninstall it and reinstalled and issue solve. Love my set up as well.

SS 4.2
    2.6.32-lowV 1.25Ghz Kernel
    Launcher Pro /5 screens
    New Droid X LWP
  9. App Themer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    motorola droid, Incredible als
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer

Not sure if its just me

I tried SSv4.2 and it will not work with most of my edits so I fell back to SSv4.1 which for me is the most stable Froyo ive tried yet. and I've tried every version I could find.

As for 2.1 roms I too found BBv1.1 to be the fastest most stable 2.1 rom I was running so if she doesn't want to move up to froyo quite yet then yes Id suggest restarting her backt o BBv1.1.
    Last edited by MAD450r; 06-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Old devices
    Droid 1 running cm10

Droid incredible running cm7
    Nexus One running cm9
    Droid x running darkslide
    Droid x2 running cm10
    Droid 3 running AOKP
    Current devices
    Verizon GS3 running Synergy r484: zerolemon 7000mah
    Nexus 10 running AOKP
    mine
    Nexus 10 running Cleanrom
    dads
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I was on bugless beast 1.1 and loved it. But his froyo build causes my phone to restart. Don't get me wrong I love petes work...but I think he is doing some work on some other android phones now too.

So then I cam here to check out chevys work and I'm on 4.2 now and love it. I'm also using the ultra low voltage 1ghz kernel and now I'm in love. My phone is running really fast and the temperatures are typically 5-10 degrees cooler then normal. It has blown me away. I also have not had any restarts or anything like that. Although flash running is a bit of a disappointment to me. Don't even really need it and it makes some webpages take forever to load.

But the real question is why is she unhappy? I loved petes BB 1.1 rom I just switched causes I wanted to try froyo out. But wut about bugless beast rom does she not like?
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have tried most of the roms out there with the exception of those based on the new code release (waiting for Chevy's SS release) and SS 4.2 is by far the most stable rom I have run to date. No fc's, no random reboots and the best connectivity, a constant steady stable connection on wifi and 3G, that for me has been the biggest improvement from SS 4.1 to 4.2. If you run it with Chevy's ulv 7 slot 800 mhz kernal you will get amazing battery life and low temps along with having the fastest and most completely stable roms available today.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links