DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery Life 5.5

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    Ha ha yea I figured that

OK - I see a problem in that screenshot - system_server. What else is running as far as apps? Try a hotboot (from power button menu) and try mtop again
    From full charge to dead in less than 9 hours with VERY minimal use. I had Wifi and GPS turned off, the brightness all the way down. Here is the screenshot I snapped at about 15% battery life left. I just now started to recharge. Here are the screenshots. Any idea why system_server is killing me? I'm not sure I have any apps running unless they are running in the background?

Battery Life 5.5-screenshot-1314319797882.pngBattery Life 5.5-screenshot-1314331780489.png
    Last edited by Sixonefour; 08-25-2011 at 10:14 PM.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixonefour View Post
    From full charge to dead in less than 9 hours with VERY minimal use. I had Wifi and GPS turned off, the brightness all the way down. Here is the screenshot I snapped at about 15% battery life left. I just now started to recharge. Here are the screenshots. Any idea why system_server is killing me? I'm not sure I have any apps running unless they are running in the background?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot-1314319797882.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	39477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot-1314331780489.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	39478
    Dude I think I might have finally found a solution for you!!! It involves using ADB but even if you're not familiar with it, this article should help explain it. If not, just let me know and I can help you out with it.

FAQ: Why is my Android phone running so slow?

Basically all you're doing is this:

Plug your phone into your PC and start ADB

Type in the following command:
    Code:
    top -m 5 -n 1
    This will show you the top 5 process' on your phone. We already know that system_server is your problem. By the way, system_server is a process that starts when any type of data exchange is going on. What it looks like has happened, is that this process (system_server) is stuck in a loop for some reason and needs to be killed, then restarted.

Look for the system_server process and it should have a number before it, like in the picture on the website. That number is the Process ID (PID).

Now that you have the PID. Type in the following command in ADB.

Code:
    kill -9 (PID HERE)
    Then just let your phone sit. The process will most likely start back up but should be fixed.
    Last edited by spc_hicks09; 08-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    ma_usmc
    Phone
    Droid
    I noticed some high battery and Android os usage when I left wifi on. Turn wifi off unless you are in range and locked on a signal. I went from home (wifi) to work (no wifi) and by noon I was down a few quarts.

Disabling wifi when not connected to one is my recommendation.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post
    Dude I think I might have finally found a solution for you!!! It involves using ADB but even if you're not familiar with it, this article should help explain it. If not, just let me know and I can help you out with it.

FAQ: Why is my Android phone running so slow?

Basically all you're doing is this:

Plug your phone into your PC and start ADB

Type in the following command:
    Code:
    top -m 5 -n 1
    This will show you the top 5 process' on your phone. We already know that system_server is your problem. By the way, system_server is a process that starts when any type of data exchange is going on. What it looks like has happened, is that this process (system_server) is stuck in a loop for some reason and needs to be killed, then restarted.

Look for the system_server process and it should have a number before it, like in the picture on the website. That number is the Process ID (PID).

Now that you have the PID. Type in the following command in ADB.

Code:
    kill -9 (PID HERE)
    Then just let your phone sit. The process will most likely start back up but should be fixed.
    The top command you reference is exactly what my script 'mtop' does - and the kill command is the same as doing a hotboot - which I presume he's already done - and it came back! So I don't think (unless he did not either hotboot/reboot) this will solve his problem ... but I certainly appreciate your pitching in for a solution!
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    The top command you reference is exactly what my script 'mtop' does - and the kill command is the same as doing a hotboot - which I presume he's already done - and it came back! So I don't think (unless he did not either hotboot/reboot) this will solve his problem ... but I certainly appreciate your pitching in for a solution!
    Not a problem lol, I just thought that since a reboot doesn't actually shut the phone down, that maybe that's why it came back? No idea but just figured I would throw it out there. Hey Chevy, are you getting my PM's?
    Last edited by spc_hicks09; 08-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Thanks spc_hicks!

Chevy - I let the phone completely die before I recharged. I assume this would take care of the reboot. I also ran mtop and hotbooted again this morning. Here is the screen cap. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Any fix? This is my 2nd time flashing this ROM and I didn't restore anything the 2nd time around. Thanks for the help!

Battery Life 5.5-screenshot-1314363773260.png
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    OK - got something funky for you to try Sixonefour
    - I assume you've rebooted, and this keeps coming back. Reboot again. As soon as you get a 3g signal - make a call to your voicemail, and then just hang up. Run mtop again - let me know if system_server is still spiking.
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    OK - got something funky for you to try Sixonefour
    - I assume you've rebooted, and this keeps coming back. Reboot again. As soon as you get a 3g signal - make a call to your voicemail, and then just hang up. Run mtop again - let me know if system_server is still spiking.
    Did what you requested. Here are the results:

Battery Life 5.5-screenshot-1314364615980.png
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post
    Not a problem lol, I just thought that since a reboot doesn't actually shut the phone down, that maybe that's why it came back? No idea but just figured I would throw it out there. Hey Chevy, are you getting my PM's?
    Yep, just replied!

10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixonefour View Post
    Did what you requested. Here are the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot-1314364615980.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	39492
    Hmmmm - did the call initiate before you hung up? If so - try it again, but instead of vm, open up maps, and let it locate you (turn gps on). Then check mtop again.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links