DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS 5.4 GPS not working

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

SS 5.4 GPS not working

I just installed SS 5.4 (coming from Pete's GPA15) and I have to say wow, thanks ChevyNo1! I've only had it on for 1 day, but it seems faster and better in many ways. Anyway, I noticed that GPS is not working. I've toggled it on and off, but still, applications that need my location (Maps, Weather, etc.) cannot get it. I didn't have this problem with GPA15, so I was wondering if this was a known issue and if there was a fix for it. I already did the OTA Update 1 for SS 5.4 and that didn't fix it.

Thanks,
    Rich

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richlux View Post
    I just installed SS 5.4 (coming from Pete's GPA15) and I have to say wow, thanks ChevyNo1! I've only had it on for 1 day, but it seems faster and better in many ways. Anyway, I noticed that GPS is not working. I've toggled it on and off, but still, applications that need my location (Maps, Weather, etc.) cannot get it. I didn't have this problem with GPA15, so I was wondering if this was a known issue and if there was a fix for it. I already did the OTA Update 1 for SS 5.4 and that didn't fix it.

Thanks,
    Rich
    This is definitely not a known issue, or an issue at all. My suggestion would be to reboot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset 3 times, wipe cache partition 3 times, wipe dalvik cache 3 times. Reboot into recovery, flash ROM, reboot into recovery, flash kernel. Something went wrong with the install because GPS is definitely working (i know because i tested this build for Chevy). Not saying anything at all was your fault, just saying something might have went haywire with the install. Just out of curiosity too, what recovery are you using?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    moto droid 1
    I've had GPS geek out on me from time to time. For whatever reason, toggling airplane mode seemed to fix it. It could easily be that the stock kernel doesn't like your device, as well. Try one of Pete's GB kernels or deprimed.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Fred Schuldt
    -Moto D1, Rooted blahblahblah
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I'm using ClockworkMod for recovery. I've done a little more testing and GPS is actually working, just not as well as it used to with other ROMs. If I go outside in the open sky, GPS works fine, but in my house and my office it can't seem to hold onto the signal. With Pete's ROM, I had no problems even in the basement of my house. It's almost as if the GPS signal is weaker with SS, if that's even possible. When I was running Pete's ROM, I was using Chevy's 800 Mhz LV Kernel. I see that SS uses his 1 Gig kernel, but I have it running at 800 Max. I can try another Kernel, but I have doubts if that will do anything.

Rich
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I'm using ClockworkMod for recovery. I've done a little more testing and GPS is actually working, just not as well as it used to with other ROMs. If I go outside in the open sky, GPS works fine, but in my house and my office it can't seem to hold onto the signal. With Pete's ROM, I had no problems even in the basement of my house. It's almost as if the GPS signal is weaker with SS, if that's even possible. When I was running Pete's ROM, I was using Chevy's 800 Mhz LV Kernel. I see that SS uses his 1 Gig kernel, but I have it running at 800 Max. I can try another Kernel, but I have doubts if that will do anything.

Rich
    The GPS signal shouldn't be weaker. If you're going to leave the device clocked at 800mhz then if I were you, I would go back to his kernels and I suggest getting the 800mhz medium voltage kernel. That one might work out better for you. The kernel shouldn't have anything to do with the GPS really but you just never know.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by spc_hicks09 View Post
    The GPS signal shouldn't be weaker. If you're going to leave the device clocked at 800mhz then if I were you, I would go back to his kernels and I suggest getting the 800mhz medium voltage kernel. That one might work out better for you. The kernel shouldn't have anything to do with the GPS really but you just never know.
    I'm gonna give that a try.

Thanks,
    Rich
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Not sure about your GPS issue, but I will say of your phone llikes low voltage stick with low voltage.

I tried medium voltage for the heck of it and my phone ran consistently hotter.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid1,X
    I am also seeing this issue on two of my OG's. one is activated, one is not. both running ULV 1Ghz kernel.

i'm pretty familiar with flashing, so i'm 99% sure i did the process correctly. one phone even came from SS5.4 as i just wanted to start from scratch.

barring trying to wipe/flash again, any other bright ideas?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid1,X
    update to my post from yesterday.

i updated each phone with chevy's 1Ghz LV kernel, and both GPSs work fine now. still seeing a dramatic difference in 'signal' when inside/outside of the house, as some of you are reporting here and elsewhere. doesn't work nearly as good as my DX, but it never did...

I can try another Kernel, but I have doubts if that will do anything.
    just wanted to included this as a quote, bc i would have tended to agree with you, in terms of using diff versions of Chevy's kernel. but this seemed to do the trick.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I'm now running ChevyNo1's medium voltage kernel and its a little better. I have the same inside /outside issue. I've tried a number of his kernels and this seems to work the best. Still no where near as good as Petes ROM that I was running prior to this.

Rich
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links