DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock in Memory - but only when I want?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid

Lock in Memory - but only when I want?

One issue I've had with Gingerbread ROMs is that apps get killed to readily. I would like to prevent this from happening with Slacker, but only if I want it to be running. I don't necessarily want Slacker in memory all the time, I just want it to not get killed while it's playing music.

Is there any way to make this happen in 5.4?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    That's interesting, so slacker gets shut off when its running? I use Pandora and have never had it shut off while it was streaming music. Seems as though you are very tight on ram if that's the case. Are you running the v6 supercharger script. I'd think that would help free up ram so slacker can run while other services are in use as well.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    There is a task manager app, but I forget which one, that let's you set the oom level for individual apps.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    That's interesting, so slacker gets shut off when its running? I use Pandora and have never had it shut off while it was streaming music. Seems as though you are very tight on ram if that's the case. Are you running the v6 supercharger script. I'd think that would help free up ram so slacker can run while other services are in use as well.

I'm aware of the script, but never paid much attention enough to know exactly what it does or if it would benefit me. I'll take a look. Thanks.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I agree though... an option like that would be great. I like to super-multitask... like Poweramp, navigation, and browser all at once... so I put poweramp locked in to make sure it doesn't get shut down. But when its off, it still locks in. I have Supercharge too, but there's only so much one script can do! Being able to only lock when its active would be awesome!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    For unrelated reasons, I tried the "lock in memory" setting with Copilot Live - a relatively huge app that tends to exit and subsequently restart when interrupted by a phone call or switching to another app. With this setting, the app remains in memory when interrupted, but actually exits when I tell it to, and it no longer remains in memory. And, it doesn't start up when the phone boots like Slacker did with the same setting.

So it would seem that the "lock in memory" setting only prevents Android from killing the app, but does not prevent the app from self-terminating. Can anyone confirm this?

If only more apps actually exited when exit them, then this would work just the way I want.
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    It definitely is how the app is programmed - for example - by default, pressing the 'back' button STILL leaves most apps in memory. I changed ChevyNo1Tools to actually EXIT from memory on the back button, but STAY in when the home button is pressed ...

That being said - you CAN use the long-press on back button to effectively kill/remove the app from memory ...
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    It definitely is how the app is programmed - for example - by default, pressing the 'back' button STILL leaves most apps in memory. I changed ChevyNo1Tools to actually EXIT from memory on the back button, but STAY in when the home button is pressed ...

That being said - you CAN use the long-press on back button to effectively kill/remove the app from memory ...
    Even when it's set to "lock in memory"?
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMcDroid View Post

Even when it's set to "lock in memory"?
    Yes - the 'lock in memory' applies only to Android's process of killing apps when memory is short - the 'longpress on back' acts apart from that ...
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone

I'm a little confused? What's the difference between exiting the app and killing the app? If you are exiting it from memory, aren't you killing it? I know when I tap back in an app it is still shown under running services until it decides it doesn't need to be running anymore.

Also, what effect does the long press to kill app in the development settings have on all this. That seems to remove it from running services.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links