DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock in Memory - but only when I want?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    It definitely is how the app is programmed - for example - by default, pressing the 'back' button STILL leaves most apps in memory. I changed ChevyNo1Tools to actually EXIT from memory on the back button, but STAY in when the home button is pressed ...

That being said - you CAN use the long-press on back button to effectively kill/remove the app from memory ...
    I'm a little confused? What's the difference between exiting the app and killing the app? If you are exiting it from memory, aren't you killing it? I know when I tap back in an app it is still shown under running services until it decides it doesn't need to be running anymore.

Also, what effect does the long press to kill app in the development settings have on all this. That seems to remove it from running services.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal
    I believe exiting the app is when the app self-terminates - releasing memory and terminating its own processes - like when you close an app on your computer, and that killing an app is something that's done from outside the app, either by another app or by Android itself - like using Task Manager in Windows, or System Monitor in Ubuntu to terminate an app or its processes.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Considering this revelation, (which makes things so much better for me!) is it possible, Chevy, to stick a confirmation for the app kill? There was one on another ROM (forget which) and it made the back button easier, since there were less mistaken killing... of course, if possible you could always add an option to prompt? I'm not sure how difficult it is, so I don't know if I'm asking a lot or a little.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Trips555 View Post
    Considering this revelation, (which makes things so much better for me!) is it possible, Chevy, to stick a confirmation for the app kill? There was one on another ROM (forget which) and it made the back button easier, since there were less mistaken killing... of course, if possible you could always add an option to prompt? I'm not sure how difficult it is, so I don't know if I'm asking a lot or a little.
    Or maybe have the behavior of the back button (without holding it) be configurable on an app-by-app basis?

I can feel myself being slowly pulled into the Droid 3 vortex - so please don't count this as a request from me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links