DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some guidance upgrading from 4.95 (Droid1)

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Some guidance upgrading from 4.95 (Droid1)

Okay...so you can see that it's been a long while since I last updated, and even then, I've done this 2 or 3 times...so I'm REALLY sketchy on this!!

I want to do this right and wipe, instead of how I have done it before, w/o first wiping.

But....here's where I'm a little nervous. I have a LOT of apps installed...and many custom configs for these apps...that I do NOT want to lose. I have as many of the apps moved over to the SD card as is possible. I also would rather not have to go back and re-place all the app icons on the several screens I have created....if at all possible (tedious!)

From what I can tell, the wipe process will require me to re-download all my apps and install them again....MANUALLY.
    Is this correct?

So what happens to all the custom configs I had made for all these apps? Do I have to manually go back and re-setup everything again???

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Use Titanium Backup before you wipe. Here are the settings in TiBu you will want to make sure you enable before backing up:
    - Auto-sync TB settings - checked
    - Normal apps - checked
    - Protected apps - checked
    - System apps - checked
    - Market link - checked
    - Restore backups to... - Original location
    - Mark as installed from - Android Market

Then, go to Batch and choose "Backup all user apps + system data"

Reboot to recovery, make an backup (just in case), wipe everything at least 1x, flash, reboot.

Do not sign into Google.

Go into Titanium Backup on your fresh install, and ensure that the settings from last time are still there. Then, go to Batch -> Restore missing apps with data. Make sure you have ONLY the apps you want restored selected; sometimes some odd things will make their way into this list. Restore apps + data.

I personally recommend manually restoring your accounts and other system settings, but you can also use TiBu for some of those.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    That sounds pretty simple, but it seems like I recall reading somewhere that it was recommended to NOT use something like TB to restore apps and data. Did I misinterpret something or have things changed so that this method is now accepted?
    Hoping so....

Also, not seeing options for:
    - System apps - checked
    - Mark as installed from - Android Market
    Last edited by ck42; 07-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.
  5. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I'd suggest that you do the full wipe, then restore only the apps using Titanium (not data too), and just reconfigure all of those apps manually for the new Chevy 5.4 GB ROM...might help you avoid conflicts in some of the settings
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    I'd suggest that you do the full wipe, then restore only the apps using Titanium (not data too), and just reconfigure all of those apps manually for the new Chevy 5.4 GB ROM...might help you avoid conflicts in some of the settings
    I really was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary. I think I would be looking at SEVERAL hours of configuring to get the system set back up like it was before. I really don't have the time to do this.....or the desire.
    Is this a recommendation 'just to be safe' or a very strong hint because you're pretty sure something-somewhere is going to break?
  7. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ck42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    I really was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary. I think I would be looking at SEVERAL hours of configuring to get the system set back up like it was before. I really don't have the time to do this.....or the desire.
    Is this a recommendation 'just to be safe' or a very strong hint because you're pretty sure something-somewhere is going to break?
    Most issues associated with using Titanium to restore apps/data are usually associated with restoring the data part of the apps when installing a new ROM... but what you can do is as already mentioned, make a Nandroid of your current ROM, then do a full Titanium Back-Up including data, then go ahead and install SSv5.4 with a full wipe.... then do a full Titanium restore of all apps & all data and see if it takes without issues...

If it works out then you're good to go, but most issues that people report about Titanium is associated with the data restore as I mentioned and you asked about...
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    So, what happens with my apps that are installed on the SD card?
    When I do a wipe, what happens to them? My intuitive guess is that the apps remain there after a wipe. If so, how does this play into the whole idea of 'desiring' to install the apps fresh again after an upgrade and rebuild the configs?
    Last edited by ck42; 07-01-2011 at 01:40 PM.
  9. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    So, what happens with my apps that are installed on the SD card?
    When I do a wipe, what happens to them? My intuitive guess is that the apps remain there after a wipe. If so, how does this play into the whole idea of 'desiring' to install the apps fresh again after an upgrade and rebuild the configs?
    try the Titanium restore of all apps and all data to see if every app getys restored to where you want, if not then that is where you might run into issues. However if you make a nandroid you can always restore that should your Titanium restore of the apps doesn't turn out right in worst case scenarios....
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    So...looking in TB right now using that option. I see a big list here. Each one is listed with either white, green, or red font. What does this indicate? Is there a way for it to show me those apps that would be restored to the SD card?
  11. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    So...looking in TB right now using that option. I see a big list here. Each one is listed with either white, green, or red font. What does this indicate? Is there a way for it to show me those apps that would be restored to the SD card?
    Under menu there is a legend of what the colors represent... just try to run a full batch restore and see how it turns out for you...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links