DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: [Kernels] 5/31/11 - Froyo/Gingerbread

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    Its kinda funny just how much each phone varies with what it can handle as far as kernels...I still don't get how the exact same model phones vary so much

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

i know right? how can one phone handle 1.25 ULV with no problem at all then some phones need medium voltage to fully boot? lol
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Wow I think my attempt to use the 1000 ULV borked some OS files or something. I had gone back to the 1000 LV and two phone calls in a row this evening the dialer app exploded. Answering resulting in a nasty squeal lasting 1/2 a second and then after the calls I had to pull the battery, actually the 2nd call was after flashing back to my trusty 800 LV. I just restored a backup of my initial 5.4 setup so hopefully that will fix it. Is it possibly for a ULV kernel to damage a phone where a LV would not? I'm thinking something in the OS just got corrupted but not sure.
    Did you wipe cache or dalvik cache between kernels? Its entirely possible that the dalvik cache is to blame...
    Btw that has happened to me before too, I can't remember if I did a wipe between kernels either

My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Wow I think my attempt to use the 1000 ULV borked some OS files or something. I had gone back to the 1000 LV and two phone calls in a row this evening the dialer app exploded. Answering resulting in a nasty squeal lasting 1/2 a second and then after the calls I had to pull the battery, actually the 2nd call was after flashing back to my trusty 800 LV. I just restored a backup of my initial 5.4 setup so hopefully that will fix it. Is it possibly for a ULV kernel to damage a phone where a LV would not? I'm thinking something in the OS just got corrupted but not sure.
    Did you wipe cache or dalvik cache between kernels? Its entirely possible that the dalvik cache is to blame...
    Btw that has happened to me before too, I can't remember if I did a wipe between kernels either

I did a "wipe cache" in CWR but I don't think that's the dalvik one. Did it only between the 1000 LV and going back to the 800 LV. I might try a wipe and reinstall the 1000 LV because that one WAS working fine, I think it was the ULV one that borked it somehow.
    AOKP M3 - Stock Kernel
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I cant get compcache to work, in terminal emulator i tried su then compcache start no go! the command "free" confirms as well. Im running ultimate droid 3.3.1 on droid1 with chevyno1 latest kernel? what am i doing wrong?
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droidftw View Post
    I cant get compcache to work, in terminal emulator i tried su then compcache start no go! the command "free" confirms as well. Im running ultimate droid 3.3.1 on droid1 with chevyno1 latest kernel? what am i doing wrong?
    I know Chevy use to post that compcache should work in other roms, but if not contact the dev of the rom you're using. Well, since support for UD has ended maybe it's time to try SS 5.4, it's a very very good rom, the best I've ever had on my D1.

6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droidftw View Post
    My kernels only provide the support/internals for compcache - most of the implementation is in the ROM itself - so as rck76 said - you must contact the ROM builder for that kind of issue - sorry! You might as well just step up to SS and give it a try
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoid View Post
    The battery usage program should not be read once and believed as-is for this kind of guidance.

If you want a very clear reading, turn on the program while the phone is charging, then unplug the charger. That restarts the data collection so that you don't get lots of old averaged data mixed in.

Then tap Settings => Refresh a few times to get a fresh start. Then watch your battery usage for a while, about 15 to 20 minutes. Put the phone into sleep for a while, perhaps another 5 minutes or so. Then start getting interested in your Android OS readings...

By this time if you're under 10%, you're probably at least close to the right kernel for your hardware and application load. If you're under 5%, you probably have the right kernel.

When I first started writing this, freshly started, Android OS in Battery Usage for my phone was at about 25%. After following the procedure above, resetting by unplugging the charger, and sleeping it and watching it for a while, it's at and below 2% -- actually falling off the graph.

Really, the better way to test for the right kernel is system heat and battery usage over a long period. If you are running cool, and if you get 15 or so hours and still have 60% of your battery available, you've got the right kernel. But that takes time, and you may not have that kind of time, so the Battery Usage graph may be the 2nd best choice.

Remember, no phone is the same as anyone else's from a combined hardware tolerance and application load standpoint. The best kernel for your phone is not necessarily the best one for everyone else, or vice versa.
    Thanks so much for this info. Itís a great guide and clears up a lot of the mystery; copied and pasted into Word for future reference!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeric828 View Post
    Its kinda funny just how much each phone varies with what it can handle as far as kernels...I still don't get how the exact same model phones vary so much

i know right? how can one phone handle 1.25 ULV with no problem at all then some phones need medium voltage to fully boot? lol

I remember reading somewhere quite some time ago that part of the range of responses has to do with the particular batch of chips (I think it was chips) used in different production lots of the phones. I recollect there being references to some batches having more durable tolerances to heat and the stress it produces. This speaks directly to the relative unpredictable risk of damage due to overclocking, especially if excessive and unchecked.

Sorry I donít have a link, but there must be someone out there who could elaborate, or provide a reference link.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid 1

wifi issues

running ss5.4 on ogd1 and can't keep wifi on, it kicks in and within seconds, sometimes minutes, switches back to 3g over and over again. nothing will stay running with connections switching back and forth. i live in a rural area so when i'm at home wifi is everything. any suggestions on a fix for this. thanx
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie1107 View Post
    running ss5.4 on ogd1 and can't keep wifi on, it kicks in and within seconds, sometimes minutes, switches back to 3g over and over again. nothing will stay running with connections switching back and forth. i live in a rural area so when i'm at home wifi is everything. any suggestions on a fix for this. thanx
    Try an app called wifi analyizer to see if other wifi signals are interfering with yours. You might have to reconfigure your wifi to run on a different channel.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Links