DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 5.1 random reboots while using navigation

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4, Droid Bionic

5.1 random reboots while using navigation

Has anyone else experienced random reboots while using navigation? Yesterday I had 2 different reboots on 2 different trips. Everything was running fine then my Droid rebooted without warning. The first time it happened I had a destination entered. The 2nd time I was just using the app without a destination/voice guidance. I also noticed that the view would sometimes switch from the 3D/following view to 2D/directly overhead view for about 1 second.

Roger
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've had something similar happen. In addition I was having problems getting the GPS to work at all. After a reboot (whether intentional or not) the GPS worked just fine. However if I shut off the GPS (say, when I reached my destination) when I tried to use it again it would never seem to activate. I'd turn on the GPS and try to go into either Maps or Navigation. The GPS icon would never appear on the toolbar and it would obviously never locate me. I used GPS Test to check what the GPS is actually seeing and even though it agreed that the GPS was on it would never show that I was receiving anything from the satellites. The only way to fix it was to reboot. After that it would work fine, once. Then I'd have the same problem. Anyone else seen this?
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Same thing here, GPS cannot find me. Reboot clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by griffon View Post
    I've had something similar happen. In addition I was having problems getting the GPS to work at all. After a reboot (whether intentional or not) the GPS worked just fine. However if I shut off the GPS (say, when I reached my destination) when I tried to use it again it would never seem to activate. I'd turn on the GPS and try to go into either Maps or Navigation. The GPS icon would never appear on the toolbar and it would obviously never locate me. I used GPS Test to check what the GPS is actually seeing and even though it agreed that the GPS was on it would never show that I was receiving anything from the satellites. The only way to fix it was to reboot. After that it would work fine, once. Then I'd have the same problem. Anyone else seen this?
  4. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z96Cobra View Post
    Has anyone else experienced random reboots while using navigation? Yesterday I had 2 different reboots on 2 different trips. Everything was running fine then my Droid rebooted without warning. The first time it happened I had a destination entered. The 2nd time I was just using the app without a destination/voice guidance. I also noticed that the view would sometimes switch from the 3D/following view to 2D/directly overhead view for about 1 second.

Roger
    Did it overheat? Nav really hits the CPU hard - long enough and the droid will reboot itself ...
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffon View Post
    That does seem to be an issue with 2.3.3 - if GPS gets shut off, only way to get it working again is a reboot ...
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4, Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post

Did it overheat? Nav really hits the CPU hard - long enough and the droid will reboot itself ...
    The first time it happened overheating is possible but I don't remember feeling anything out of the ordinary when I re-entered my address. The 2nd time I don't think it had time to really get that hot. It rebooted just a few minutes after I started the app. FWIW, I did a full wipe before installing 5.01 but no wipe when flashing 5.1.

I've also had a couple of probs with losing 3G after a call. The icon is still there and I still have an IP address but I can't navigate to any websites. I remember seeing this in earlier builds but thought it was fixed. Maybe I just need to do a full wipe.
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    There is the problem - no wipe coming from 5.01 - it has been mentioned across many threads now - 5.01 had an installer issue that could corrupt system data - you should wipe and reinstall manually (any restore of 5.01 data could bring the problem back ...)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    Try flashing a new chevyno1 kernel. I recommend 1-1.1 low v or 1-1.0 med v.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I was having this problem. My phone would reboot not long after starting to navigate. I'm using the 1.25GHZ low v kernel. I changed the max clock speed from 1.25 to 1.0 and that cleared the issue for me. YMMV
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoValidTitle View Post
    I was having this problem. My phone would reboot not long after starting to navigate. I'm using the 1.25GHZ low v kernel. I changed the max clock speed from 1.25 to 1.0 and that cleared the issue for me. YMMV
    Thanks for the feedback - folks must remember that 1.25 is pushing the limit - the reason I don't build a 1.3 kernel is my phone won't even stay running!

Links