Based on CM7 RC2 which is 2.3.3 - code pulled/built just this morning Also includes gapps, just updated on 3/7/11.
Refer to the 5.1 bugs list to see what has been fixed.
Special thanks to mobile_sensei for the new background
MOST IMPORTANT - READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!!! If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!
If you are coming from 5.X - no wipe, just install - if from any other ROM (including Froyo) you can attempt an install with no wipe - but if you have ANY issues that seem to be odd - WIPE! IF you currently have a broken home key - installing without a wipe will not help you. However - you can wipe, and restore your LAST GOOD backup.
If you get stuck on the 'M' - first step is to reboot into recovery, then wipe cache (not just dalvik-cache, but CACHE). SOMETIMES this doesn't even work. A surefire way to ensure it is cleared is to enter these commands via adb shell:
Then reboot. If it still fails - try a different kernel.
If you get random reboots, not to the 'M', but right to the bootanimation (soft reboot) - run my task killer - this will clear a few things up and hopefully the problem as well.
If your market sticks on a download - a reboot should take care of it.
Also for rstapps - After restoring, it will now run fix_permissions before the reboot. I am HOPING this will fix some of the FC issues you have experienced after restoring. This will mean that rstapps will take considerably longer though, so be patient (read: go get a coffee or beer!)
Longpress on camera makes it buzz many times but still functional ... camcorder will FC if you try to zoom while recording.
Brightness still seems to be buggy - issues resides SOMEWHERE in CM base
1. After install, pulldown/statusbar may still reflect 5.01 - simply go into Tools, and select SS for Carrier Text to update to 5.1
2. By default - clocking set to 600mhz (I'm sure you'll agree it still flies!)
3. Everything zipaligned!
4. Working DSP Manager!
5. EL Brightness GONE - built into stock Display options
6. All issues with text messages (sending/receiving) fixed.
7. Maps added to data partition - Facebook/Twitter removed - this means if you are running a ROM where facebook/twitter are included in the system partition - you will no longer have them when you flash my ROM. If they are sitting in the data partition - you will still have them.
8. This uses CM as a base - this means you will see new things that come straight from CM So here I give credit where credit is due. With 5.1, I also include ALL CM Settings (now includes profiles).
CyanogenMod Settings now present, right below ChevyNo1Tools
Toggles (ie wireless, bluetooth, gps, sound) now present in pulldown - and using CM Settings, configurable now
Music controls on lockscreen, in addition to my screen-off controls
Many settings under CM Settings - you might see a few duplicates between those and my Tools
Theme Changer/Manager (Androidian/Cyanbread NOT included as they HAVE to sit in /system and short on space)
9. ChevyNo1Tools modification - if you use the 'back' button to exit - it will now completely remove the app from memory, giving you more to play with. If you use the 'Home' button, it will still remain in memory, the default behavior
10. OS has been modified to reduce system logging by 40% - less time logging = more time to perform tasks you ask for!
11. Ability to 'clear' Gtalk issues - under Scripts/Other (requires reboot)
12. New kernels now support compcache (and ability to change settings via new option: Performance Tweaks - no longer using compcache file in /data/chevyno1)
13. Overclock now set via menu options. Also under Performance Tweaks
14. Original Launcher is once again included - I know a few of you have asked for this option. I will say however that it takes considerably more memory to run than ADW - and our D1 is short on that. It does not have to be deleted if you do not use it, meaning it will not take precious resources just sitting there.
15. Updated kernels - less logging, so theoretically should be faster/cooler, which a LOT of you have confirmed
16. Installing this ROM will wipe out the system partitition.
17. Battery % added to non-themed version
18. New task killer - runs at boot, and can be run as a one-off, under Options. This task killer uses a preset list of tasks to kill, those are listed in /data/chevyno1/csm.lst. You can edit this on the phone using your own editor, or pull/push using ADB. At some point I will try to make this with a UI. As delivered, this is the contents:
# LOOP DELAY - Try LOOP times, sleep DELAY seconds between loops
# So '20 3' means it will be active for 60 seconds - keep this in mind
# 20 3
The above settings will actively kill these proceses for 60 seconds after the bootanimation completes. You may want to add/remove apps from this list. For example, notice that RM and CMParts are in the list. If, immediately after bootup, you open RM, you may find it disappear before your eyes, because csm is killing it. You can either remove it from the list, or tweak the LOOP/DELAY parameters to your liking. In addition, you can completely turn it off by typing in 'csm off' in terminal. Other commands available from terminal:
csm set 5 5 - This will change LOOP/DELAY to 5/5
csm off - turn it off completely
csm on - turns it on and runs it once with no looping or delay
csm settings - displays current settings
Additionally - if you place a '#' in front of any app in the list, it will be ignored.
Also, as far as task killing - part of the Android OS is that if it sees a process die, it will reschedule a startup again of the task. This, as far as task killing, is a PITA. Therefore I have modified the OS to also NOT restart any apps contained in csm.lst.
This task killer can have a pretty big impact on how much free memory you have. The lack of available memory has been the major cause of the soft resets (ie. to bootanimation and not the 'M') that you have seen. Also to help in this area - compcache is enabled by default going forward, and the Dalvik VM has been updated as well. You can still change these to suit your needs, but after extensive testing these are the defaults I see that work best. If you run the task killer option from my tools, it will also reset compcache ( a good practice every couple of days in lieu of a reboot). So make good use of this!
And the LINKS!!!
Themed Mirror #1
UN-Themed Mirror #1
Themed Mirror #2
UN-Themed Mirror #2
Old-style Battery Icons (like 4.96)
Normal animations for those that do not like the horizontal 'swapping'
And lastly - and I HATE TO DO THIS - but I am now out of a job - so if you are feeling generous and you appreciate the hard work I put into these ROMS and kernels - it is MUCH APPRECIATED. Donate link in my signature.