DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [rom] ss 5.1 gb - 2.3.3 - 3/9/11

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member

Cool [rom] ss 5.1 gb - 2.3.3 - 3/9/11

Based on CM7 RC2 which is 2.3.3 - code pulled/built just this morning Also includes gapps, just updated on 3/7/11.

Refer to the 5.1 bugs list to see what has been fixed.

Special thanks to mobile_sensei for the new background

MOST IMPORTANT - READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!!! If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!

If you are coming from 5.X - no wipe, just install - if from any other ROM (including Froyo) you can attempt an install with no wipe - but if you have ANY issues that seem to be odd - WIPE! IF you currently have a broken home key - installing without a wipe will not help you. However - you can wipe, and restore your LAST GOOD backup.

If you get stuck on the 'M' - first step is to reboot into recovery, then wipe cache (not just dalvik-cache, but CACHE). SOMETIMES this doesn't even work. A surefire way to ensure it is cleared is to enter these commands via adb shell:

umount /cache
    format CACHE:

Then reboot. If it still fails - try a different kernel.

If you get random reboots, not to the 'M', but right to the bootanimation (soft reboot) - run my task killer - this will clear a few things up and hopefully the problem as well.

If your market sticks on a download - a reboot should take care of it.

Also for rstapps - After restoring, it will now run fix_permissions before the reboot. I am HOPING this will fix some of the FC issues you have experienced after restoring. This will mean that rstapps will take considerably longer though, so be patient (read: go get a coffee or beer!)

Known Issues

Longpress on camera makes it buzz many times but still functional ... camcorder will FC if you try to zoom while recording.

Brightness still seems to be buggy - issues resides SOMEWHERE in CM base

Changes

1. After install, pulldown/statusbar may still reflect 5.01 - simply go into Tools, and select SS for Carrier Text to update to 5.1

2. By default - clocking set to 600mhz (I'm sure you'll agree it still flies!)

3. Everything zipaligned!

4. Working DSP Manager!

5. EL Brightness GONE - built into stock Display options

6. All issues with text messages (sending/receiving) fixed.

7. Maps added to data partition - Facebook/Twitter removed - this means if you are running a ROM where facebook/twitter are included in the system partition - you will no longer have them when you flash my ROM. If they are sitting in the data partition - you will still have them.

8. This uses CM as a base - this means you will see new things that come straight from CM So here I give credit where credit is due. With 5.1, I also include ALL CM Settings (now includes profiles).

Noteable additions:

CyanogenMod Settings now present, right below ChevyNo1Tools
    Toggles (ie wireless, bluetooth, gps, sound) now present in pulldown - and using CM Settings, configurable now
    Music controls on lockscreen, in addition to my screen-off controls
    Rotary Lockscreen
    Many settings under CM Settings - you might see a few duplicates between those and my Tools
    Theme Changer/Manager (Androidian/Cyanbread NOT included as they HAVE to sit in /system and short on space)
    Profiles

9. ChevyNo1Tools modification - if you use the 'back' button to exit - it will now completely remove the app from memory, giving you more to play with. If you use the 'Home' button, it will still remain in memory, the default behavior

10. OS has been modified to reduce system logging by 40% - less time logging = more time to perform tasks you ask for!

11. Ability to 'clear' Gtalk issues - under Scripts/Other (requires reboot)

12. New kernels now support compcache (and ability to change settings via new option: Performance Tweaks - no longer using compcache file in /data/chevyno1)

13. Overclock now set via menu options. Also under Performance Tweaks

14. Original Launcher is once again included - I know a few of you have asked for this option. I will say however that it takes considerably more memory to run than ADW - and our D1 is short on that. It does not have to be deleted if you do not use it, meaning it will not take precious resources just sitting there.

15. Updated kernels - less logging, so theoretically should be faster/cooler, which a LOT of you have confirmed

16. Installing this ROM will wipe out the system partitition.

17. Battery % added to non-themed version

18. New task killer - runs at boot, and can be run as a one-off, under Options. This task killer uses a preset list of tasks to kill, those are listed in /data/chevyno1/csm.lst. You can edit this on the phone using your own editor, or pull/push using ADB. At some point I will try to make this with a UI. As delivered, this is the contents:

# LOOP DELAY - Try LOOP times, sleep DELAY seconds between loops
    # So '20 3' means it will be active for 60 seconds - keep this in mind
    # 20 3
    android.process.media
    com.android.deskclock
    com.android.email
    com.android.music
    com.android.protips
    com.android.providers.calendar
    com.android.providers.media
    com.android.quicksearchbox
    com.android.voicedialer
    com.bel.android.dspmanager
    com.cooliris.media
    com.cyanogenmod.cmparts
    com.google.android.apps.maps:FriendService
    com.google.android.apps.maps:NetworkLocationServic e
    com.google.android.partnersetup
    com.google.android.voicesearch
    com.google.android.youtube
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager.license
    com.tmobile.thememanager
    com.vzw.vvm.androidclient
    net.cactii.flash2

The above settings will actively kill these proceses for 60 seconds after the bootanimation completes. You may want to add/remove apps from this list. For example, notice that RM and CMParts are in the list. If, immediately after bootup, you open RM, you may find it disappear before your eyes, because csm is killing it. You can either remove it from the list, or tweak the LOOP/DELAY parameters to your liking. In addition, you can completely turn it off by typing in 'csm off' in terminal. Other commands available from terminal:

csm set 5 5 - This will change LOOP/DELAY to 5/5
    csm off - turn it off completely
    csm on - turns it on and runs it once with no looping or delay
    csm settings - displays current settings

Additionally - if you place a '#' in front of any app in the list, it will be ignored.

Also, as far as task killing - part of the Android OS is that if it sees a process die, it will reschedule a startup again of the task. This, as far as task killing, is a PITA. Therefore I have modified the OS to also NOT restart any apps contained in csm.lst.

This task killer can have a pretty big impact on how much free memory you have. The lack of available memory has been the major cause of the soft resets (ie. to bootanimation and not the 'M') that you have seen. Also to help in this area - compcache is enabled by default going forward, and the Dalvik VM has been updated as well. You can still change these to suit your needs, but after extensive testing these are the defaults I see that work best. If you run the task killer option from my tools, it will also reset compcache ( a good practice every couple of days in lieu of a reboot). So make good use of this!

And the LINKS!!!

Themed

UN-Themed

Themed Mirror #1

UN-Themed Mirror #1

Themed Mirror #2

UN-Themed Mirror #2

Old-style Battery Icons (like 4.96)

Normal animations for those that do not like the horizontal 'swapping'

And lastly - and I HATE TO DO THIS - but I am now out of a job - so if you are feeling generous and you appreciate the hard work I put into these ROMS and kernels - it is MUCH APPRECIATED. Donate link in my signature.
    Last edited by ChevyNo1; 03-10-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDro~SS 5.1
    Chevy, you rock as always. DL now.
    Thanks for all you do.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid, Charge, Bionic, S4
    Premium Member
    DLing now........results in a while.
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Won't be getting unthemed up until later (or screenshots)
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Curse you Chevy. Jk. Back to the drawing board

Sent from my Droid
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    Gil_Smash
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Does the themed still have the theme changer? Oh, and awesome work dude!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Rom: SteelDroid Nexus 1.0
    Theme: Stock
    Kernel: franco.Kernel Nightly
    Launcher: Nova
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Flashing now tell you how it works out!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR
    Oh my god!!! Downloading now......Chevy your roms are simply the best!!!!

EDIT: ChevyNo1, just donated, Thank You for your continued support.
    Last edited by jrmdroid; 03-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    RAZR; ROM: ICS 4.0.4 Stock
    OG 1; ROM: ChevyNo1 SS 5.6 |
    Kernel: 1.0 lv
    1 Use RSDLite Correctly | 2 Root D1 any OS | 3 Unroot Froyo 2.2 | 4 SBF Root & Unroot | 5 RSDLite Error
  10. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    XT862 but still rock the A855

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post
    Won't be getting unthemed up until later (or screenshots)
    Sighs.....It feels like new releases in games. Xbox always gets them first and I own a ps3...anyways I'm patient and I'm sure it awesome as always . And chevy aNd so do your ROMS
    MOTODROID

I own a FEW different PHONES

in a FEW different WAYS..
    want to know more
    FOLLOW me
    @DaSnOoTeRKiNG
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Awesome work. This thing flies...I can also confirm that the music 3.0 sync works with this after deleting stock music player.
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Links