DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overheating on v4.96

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus FTW

Overheating on v4.96

My phone has been running very hot under normal conditions around 100 and underload upwards of 120. I'm overclocked using SetCPU keeping it to ondemand at 800mhz. I'm using the Lv 8mhz kernel. Been having this issue since last rom I had 4.7 I believe. I've tried switching kernels and speeds and still no change. Any input would be great! I've been trying to search around but this seems to be only happening since SS4.7 and up with me and I didn't have this problem on previous SS versions.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Best thing to do is run 'mtop' in terminal - observe if there is a process hitting the CPU hard. If you are running SetCPU and use a widget - make sure it is passive refresh
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Well, I'm using 4.96 right now and my temps are a little lower than yours. When I read your post I fired up the Droid and used Droid Forums App to jump around and read some threads and then spent a minute or two browsing the net and my cpu temp got up to 93F. I'm running the same kernel you are, but I do not use setcpu. I let the code Chevy put in to the rom control the kernel. I don't think that could be the difference, but I just thought I would point that out as one difference.

Have you tried reinstalling the rom with now wipe? Also, if you check Battery Use in settings, do you have any unusual usage there?

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    I am currently running 4.96 with the 1Ghz ulv kernel and have had no problems with overheating. Have you tried a ulv kernel instead?
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus FTW
    So running mtop found an app hitting it hard...50% 60% 20% every few seconds. So I'll be uninstalling that.

SetCPU widget is in passive

Also in battery ussage after 1hr uptime the system got display beat at 18%.

I've tried different kernels and the ulv ones with the same problem. My phone idls around 93 and under high load it hits 120 and thats when I start just letting it rest cause I hate going above 118.

I have not tried wiping yet. I wanted to iron this out then do the wipe and flash to Chevy's GB after I read more into the rom.

If I want to just let the rom take over the overclock would uninstalling SetCPU be sufficient in letting the rom take over? Or do I have to change settings for the rom to take over?
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    You can just turn off 'set at boot' in setcpu - and then reboot - that will work

What app was it? That ALMOST ALWAYS is the cause of heat - busy cpu
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus FTW
    Ok after uninstalling that program and letting the rom take over my phone is running within normal temps with no spikes. Thank you sooooo much!! I feel so much better about my phone and its also sped up a bit without all that **** in the background. But I want to know how can I check if the rom is really govening the cpu. I'm pretty sure it is.
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyforgot View Post
    Ok after uninstalling that program and letting the rom take over my phone is running within normal temps with no spikes. Thank you sooooo much!! I feel so much better about my phone and its also sped up a bit without all that **** in the background. But I want to know how can I check if the rom is really govening the cpu. I'm pretty sure it is.
    Good stuff!

You can verify upper/lower speeds by still opening up SetCPU - 'set at boot should be unchecked - but you should see min/max set to whatever the ROM is setting ... ignore the sliders in setcpu

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus FTW
    max 550 min 250 and i got an 800mhz kernel. little confused at that lol.
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyforgot View Post
    max 550 min 250 and i got an 800mhz kernel. little confused at that lol.
    And I assume you have overclock checked in my tools? If so - uncheck/recheck again - then go back into setcpu

That means the minimum your CPU will go to is 250mhz, and the max is 550 - so I'm thinking it's not checked in tools

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links