Ok, I see a lot of posting lately about issue people have, and tend to quickly blame things on the ROM. Firstly, we are going from Froyo to Gingerbread. Thats a major difference. It makes it hard for Chevy to pinpoint exactly what is an issue with the ROM, and what issues can be caused by something the user did in their process.
SO....I wanted to put a thread together for streamlining the install process.
These are the steps I use when I install ANY rom.
Follow these steps, and if you have a bug...post it. If you dont follow these steps and post a bug...its just clutter and only slows the process of fixing real bugs.
EDIT By ChevyNo1 - MOST IMPORTANT - If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!
This is for clockworkmod recovery. If you use another recovery (spr, rzr...see if there is something that correlates to these steps within your recovery).
****WARNING...if you switch recoveries...immediately do a backup. If you have a recovery in SPR and flash clockworkmod...you will not have any nandroid backups in your recovery (for the sake of argument...yes..they are on your SDcard..but still...save yourself the extra steps)
FIRST MAKE SURE YOU DO A BACKUP
1. Boot into recovery
2. select wipe data/factory reset...yes
3. select wipe cache partition....yes
4. select partitions menu
5. format /system
6. format /data
7. install zip from sdcard
8. choose zip from sdcard
9. find your rom update.zip file
10. ...select it...and yes
11. after install reboot phone
12. at google touchscreen dont open your slider keyboard. Instead touch the four courners of the screen in successive order starting with top left corner, top right corner, bottom right corner, bottom left corner (clockwise). This bypasses the sign in.
13. 1. open market app. You will be prompted to sign in google account. OR
2. settings>accounts and sync> add account.
14. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR APPS with Titanium or restore apps. Manually restore your apps with your finger and your touchscreen. It will take a while, but in the long run...will save you time.
Now, if you have any issues from this point...report them. I personally think if you have an issue with any other install method...dont bother posting...it only creates distractions from correcting ROM issues....because essentially you are injecting data from a froyo rom into gingerbread.
The issues that I know of in my experience are:
1. wipe installs...market will get updated from blue 2.2.7 to 2.3.2 green market. which is ok.
2. stock kernel gives error when turning on wifi. (fix: flash different kernel from Chevys gb kernel thread)...I use the 1.1 ghz mv and its super smooth.
3. when turning on compcache you MAY get a reboot at somepoint.
4. 3g signal is intermittent after voice calls sometimes. (toggle plane mode)
5. Market installation text is black, background is black...so you cant see it. (my theme fixed this. I personally prefer light background and dark text, but...I know chevy has fixed this in 5.0.1)
6. Google voice does not work (to my knowledge with any GB rom, some reported they got it working by restoring app data for gvoice via Tibu). If you are subscribed to gvoice, you can revert to carrier vm by dialing *73. This will call a number and hang up.
if there is any other known issues I missed...please let me know. ROM issues...not your issues created by restoring data from tibu or restore apps.