DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Installation] SS 5.X recommended install

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Well said, thanks for that it was much needed to be said.
    Motorola DROID BIONIC
    ICS 4.0.4
    1.2GHz OMAP-4430 Dual Core
    1gig-DDR2 RAM Stock Kernel
    NOVA Launcher
    Quadrant Standard Score 3227
    AnTuTu Benchmark 8249
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by brad r View Post
    I restored my apps using Titanium with no issues.

If you restore manually, how do you get your app data back? I'm not going to beat all the angry birds levels again... that took forever.

I recommend reading this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/act...um-backup.html It's specifically meant for wiping/installing Project Elite ROM, but with some discerning tweaks, you can tailor it to SS pretty easily.

I do one app at a time in titanium backup i only do this to a few apps not all in my downloaded list. Press on an app and select restore then data only. Works for me. I only restore data on apps I have down loaded from the market.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    RAZR; ROM: ICS 4.0.4 Stock
    OG 1; ROM: ChevyNo1 SS 5.6 |
    Kernel: 1.0 lv
    1 Use RSDLite Correctly | 2 Root D1 any OS | 3 Unroot Froyo 2.2 | 4 SBF Root & Unroot | 5 RSDLite Error
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus - Kang
    Check out MyBackup Root, it has a nicer interface vs. titanium and you don't need to do silly crap like enable Chuck Norris mode.
  4. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes6 View Post
    Check out MyBackup Root, it has a nicer interface vs. titanium and you don't need to do silly crap like enable Chuck Norris mode.
    I personally dont recommend using any restore app. I never have used them. As the OP says...if everyone is running a "pure" rom...we can specifically attribute issues to it. The goal is to have people with a clean install...running the same thing as everyone else...installed with the same method to reduce variables when trying to solve an issue. Which was precisely the purpose for this thread.

IF there is a ROM issue/bug, and we have all installed it the same way...and its clean....then we should all be having basically the same issues. It can be replicated..pinpointed...and focused on for updates.

Thanks!

When I going from Froyo to GB its logical to wipe and start clean. Depending on the updates for bug fixes...and what they contain, they may be wipe installs or no wipe installs. Personally for my phone..if its a full ROM release...Im wiping. I dont mind setting everything up again.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    Gil_Smash
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Although not recommended I tend to restore all my apps with no data and then pick and choose which apps specifically need data, like angry birds, and restore data for those, you could also install them from the market and then restore just data for specific apps.

Rom: SteelDroid Nexus 1.0
    Theme: Stock
    Kernel: franco.Kernel Nightly
    Launcher: Nova
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    Premium Member
    I've always just copied highscores.lua from angry birds and save it on my SD card...then paste into /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds

sent from a loaded Droid
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    My googvoice works but I have to manually refresh to get new vm or sms. That or reboot and it will show any new messages...

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    GSM Galaxy S3 & GSM Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitori View Post
    I personally dont recommend using any restore app. I never have used them. As the OP says...if everyone is running a "pure" rom...we can specifically attribute issues to it. The goal is to have people with a clean install...running the same thing as everyone else...installed with the same method to reduce variables when trying to solve an issue. Which was precisely the purpose for this thread.

IF there is a ROM issue/bug, and we have all installed it the same way...and its clean....then we should all be having basically the same issues. It can be replicated..pinpointed...and focused on for updates.

Thanks!

When I going from Froyo to GB its logical to wipe and start clean. Depending on the updates for bug fixes...and what they contain, they may be wipe installs or no wipe installs. Personally for my phone..if its a full ROM release...Im wiping. I dont mind setting everything up again.
    Here's the thing with me. I use Mabilo to assign ringtones to my contacts and a lot of thought and work went into *finding* the tune snippets (Mabilo is not the easiest program to set up), and saying "Yeah, that song is PERFECT for Anita!", then assigning it to her. If I don't restore the data with Titanium, I've got to spend a lot of time to get Mabilo back to where it was. I understand your desire for "purity", but for me it's a *monstrous* Pain In The Rear to have to reassemble everything from scratch.

Ergo, while I respect your opinion and appreciate the insight into how to perform a very thorough wipe and install, it's just too much work for me to do every time I want to switch roms or themes.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

9. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    THE_Yakitori
    Phone
    TBolt, D1
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitori View Post

Thanks!

Here's the thing with me. I use Mabilo to assign ringtones to my contacts and a lot of thought and work went into *finding* the tune snippets (Mabilo is not the easiest program to set up), and saying "Yeah, that song is PERFECT for Anita!", then assigning it to her. If I don't restore the data with Titanium, I've got to spend a lot of time to get Mabilo back to where it was. I understand your desire for "purity", but for me it's a *monstrous* Pain In The Rear to have to reassemble everything from scratch.

Ergo, while I respect your opinion and appreciate the insight into how to perform a very thorough wipe and install, it's just too much work for me to do every time I want to switch roms or themes.

-Mike
    I understand your pain. I know it can be a lot of work. Im not saying you cant restore your stuff....you certainly can do it however you wish. Im simply stating that for support to chevy in fixing bugs, its best if we are all on the same page. Its not a must for anyone/everyone to do it this way, but just more or less a disclaimer that if bugs start popping up and those that restored blame the rom...when the rest of us are not experiencing the same bug...it doesnt help chevy correct real issues that need to be addressed.

Gingerbread in itself was a ton of work to optimize for the D1. A lot of devs put a lot of time and work into getting it working right for the most part. We users are the ones that typically put the ROM through the rigors of everyday use. For us to report back bugs that were created from something we did is not always attributed to a "rom bug".

That was my whole point for the thread.

Hell, I used to be on MIUI and did this nearly every week. Full wipe installs...manual setups...and got tired of it.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    GSM Galaxy S3 & GSM Note 2
    Premium Member
    Don't misunderstand me - I'm complaining, because I'm LAZY.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links