DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New guy. Considering the Commando and the Razr Maxx

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Arrow New guy. Considering the Commando and the Razr Maxx

hi all. my first post. i'm totally new to smart phones, this will be my first. a little about me.. i'm an outdoor kinda guy. i hunt, fish, atv, etc etc. i also work on vehicles quite a bit in my garage. i work as a video on demand system technician so i do have a technical side to me. that being said, i know next to nothing about smart phones.

now about the phone choices... first off, what draws me to the commando is the durability. given my activities outside of work, a tough phone would be a wise choice for me. i'm either in the woods or on the water 12 months out of the year, in all kinds of weather sometimes. i've read lots of good things about the commando, but i've also read some bad. some issues with broken charge ports, slower performance, and complaints about the touch screen being the most common. the other phone i'm considering is the razr maxx. although not at rugged as the commando, it does have some toughness to it with the glass and water resistance. it also has a better processer and a bigger screen, and i haven't read any complaints about the touch screen.

i wouldn't be what you would call a "heavy user". i would mostly use the phone for texting and calls (like i do now with my regular phone) primarily, but what draws me to the smart phone world is the ability to do other things. ideally, i would like to use gps, google earth (both together if possible), radar weather, email, moon phases, sunrise/sunset, playing a game while sitting in a treestand, and some occasional web surfing. one thing i would really like to do is lay a gps trail/track over a google earth image so i can tell exactly where i am. there were times this fall when i was trying to get to a certain spot i found on google earth. i had my handheld gps and a printed google earth image, but it was difficult to tell exactly where i was in relation to where i wanted to go.

i could use some help and advice deciding on which one to choose, or even if there are any other durable phones i haven't considered. thanks!
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    razr maxx with an otterbox case.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    +1 ^^^
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    thanks for the suggestion. i should add one other thing.. i almost always wear either carpenter jeans or cargo pants, and i always carry my phone in the leg pocket. it's not an issue with cargos, but with the smaller pocket on my jeans, size could be an issue. i tried to put both these phones in my jeans leg pocket yesterday. the commando fit fine. the razr fit, but it got snagged a little bit going in and out. if i put an otterbox on a razr, i expect it wouldn't fit at all.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    razr is surprisingly thin, I am sure you can get it to fit.
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    it does, but it gets hung up because of the width. that's just the naked phone, no case.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Casio Commando
    The Commando is pretty tough. But we've had a few software issues... mainly concerning the dock, & going to sleep with most any GPS app going. And the CPU is a bit slower but not that big a deal. The fact that it's only a 3G phone might be a bigger reason for any slowness problems.

I haven't noticed any more touchscreen problems than any other phone out there.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Listen... One hunter to another... Go commando! Mine has survived being dropped out of my treestand, a couple of drops in puddles, and I work in a steel mill (which means temperatures exceeding 2,000 degrees, and nasty, baby-powder-fine, slag dust.) NO OTHER PHONE will take the abuse this phone will. Period. And its plenty fast. Especially if its your first smartphone.

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums
    D_B likes this.
  10. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanmeys13 View Post
    Listen... One hunter to another... Go commando! Mine has survived being dropped out of my treestand, a couple of drops in puddles, and I work in a steel mill (which means temperatures exceeding 2,000 degrees, and nasty, baby-powder-fine, slag dust.) NO OTHER PHONE will take the abuse this phone will. Period. And its plenty fast. Especially if its your first smartphone.

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums
    Hard to go against this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links