DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem charging from solar and/or external battery

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #

Problem charging from solar and/or external battery

I am having trouble charging from my Brunton solar charger and also an external battery. My other phone charges from them without any issues, did casio put something into the phone to prevent me from connecting to them? Both connect by USB and it does recognize that it is plugged in but does not do anything while plugged in. I have the USB connection set to charge only and still nada. Any suggestions? The whole point of buying this rugged phone was to take it with me on a Thru Hike of the Appalachian Trail... all 2200 miles of it. I would hate to have leave this one behind because of a lack of solar charging ability.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play R800x
    Quote Originally Posted by rust View Post
    I am having trouble charging from my Brunton solar charger and also an external battery. My other phone charges from them without any issues, did casio put something into the phone to prevent me from connecting to them? Both connect by USB and it does recognize that it is plugged in but does not do anything while plugged in. I have the USB connection set to charge only and still nada. Any suggestions? The whole point of buying this rugged phone was to take it with me on a Thru Hike of the Appalachian Trail... all 2200 miles of it. I would hate to have leave this one behind because of a lack of solar charging ability.
    the Casio commando is a beast when it comes to charging... Check and see what the amps out are and compare it to your wall charger base... If it's lower, you might not be able to charge it that way (I learned this thru trying a couple of different car chargers before I got one that worked...)

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
    First Droid: Htc Aria (AT&T) (rooted, s-off, and i forget how many different roms on it)
    Current Droid: Xperia Play (rooted via zergRush method)
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Casio Commando
    I've also noticed charging issues with mine. If it's drained dead, and I put it on either the home or car charger (with the desktop charger), the phone will drain, reboot, charge a bit, drain, reboot, charge a bit, etc. It gets stuck in this loop for a couple of cycles till it charges up to a certain point. Then seems to work fine.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Gzone Commando
    I am also having trouble charging my Commando via solar charger. I own a Scoche solar charger. This is my second one because I sent the first back because I thought it was a faulty product. The second is also not charging. The usb icon appears when I plug it in but goes off after several seconds with no charge. The solar charger is fully charged and my usb settings are charge only. Could the amps out cause it to do this if they are insufficient.
    Last edited by tchap; 01-14-2012 at 03:39 PM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    c711 casio commando
    What's the battery life at when you tried it

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr M
    What's probably happening is that your charger simply just isn't powerful enough to charge the Commando. Different phones require different amounts of amperage to charge; it probably just isn't up-to-spec.

Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    I've also noticed charging issues with mine. If it's drained dead, and I put it on either the home or car charger (with the desktop charger), the phone will drain, reboot, charge a bit, drain, reboot, charge a bit, etc. It gets stuck in this loop for a couple of cycles till it charges up to a certain point. Then seems to work fine.
    This is also related to the same issue. It's just not powerful enough to charge the phone.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play R800x
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcapwn89 View Post
    What's probably happening is that your charger simply just isn't powerful enough to charge the Commando. Different phones require different amounts of amperage to charge; it probably just isn't up-to-spec.

This is also related to the same issue. It's just not powerful enough to charge the phone.
    I'm pretty sure that the commando needs with 1000 or 1100 milliamps (m.a.) to charge, which tends to be higher than most phones out there... Just check what the output is on the charger you got with the phone, and use that as a minimum for any other charger you look into...

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
    First Droid: Htc Aria (AT&T) (rooted, s-off, and i forget how many different roms on it)
    Current Droid: Xperia Play (rooted via zergRush method)
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I got the power curve charger off one of those one sale a day sites and it charges my commando even when battery is at 90+ percent
  10. D_B
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR V3c & Commando C771
    Mine has a 850ma Casio wall charger .. I had one time that instead of charging, it actually went down to 20% while on it (started at 70%charge )

The wall charger I got from verizon is 1000ma .. I think I'll be using that and see if it happens again

Would be interested to hear what others have for amps that came with their phone
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Maxx HD
    I have a Monaco solar charger that I got almost a year ago that works well. Even got left out and got rained on and still works fine.
    Check my earlier posts for a link to the charger.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links