DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GB Update is out!

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'zOne Commando
    My phone just wont find it.... It says theres no new update but the status tells me there is one at 8 pm oct. 5... ugh... i wonder if i factory reset if it would do it... i'd lose everything but i fresh start might be nice since only contacts would be the important thing. Anyone else have this problem? I have 1-2 bars sometimes 3g and sometimes not....
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeto View Post
    I'm loving the new update ..its about time

I kept my commando rooted and my root is still good... now I wish there was access to a bootloader and custom roms

Are you SURE your root is still good? I was rooted when I updated and it appeared that I kept root at reboot. I can still see the system files in Root Explorer but cannot do anything with them. For example... if I delete swype.apk, it tells me it was deleted but is still there and shows up again at my next reboot. If i delete an app from super user the next time I open the ap, I don't get a permission request and the app is still gone from the SU list
    . Also, ADB cannot get access to my phone.
    Everything I've read states that the update eliminates root. I'd be SHOCKED if you still have it. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just surprised as you are the first to say they maintained a rooted Commando. Great news for you if you did.
    Last edited by GeneRs; 10-06-2011 at 02:30 PM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'zOne Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    If you get data service usually where your at it should work I would think. However, it takes several minutes to download the file so having a solid data connection would be crucial. Maybe take that drive?
    Fixed it! Long way around this but I had to activate an old phone on the same line and then reactive the commando. Once I did that it found the update and downloaded it.

JEEEZE lotta work for this update
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid razr maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneRs View Post
    Are you SURE your root is still good? I was rooted when I updated and it appeared that I kept root at reboot. I can still see the system files in Root Explorer but cannot do anything with them. For example... if I delete swype.apk, it tells me it was deleted but is still there and shows up again at my next reboot. If i delete an app from super user the next time I open the ap, I don't get a permission request and the app is still gone from the SU list
    . Also, ADB cannot get access to my phone.
    Everything I've read states that the update eliminates root. I'd be SHOCKED if you still have it. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just surprised as you are the first to say they maintained a rooted Commando. Great news for you if you did.
    I did loose root I had it working last night ... after update but terminal was still running under root .. i dunno
    now looking for a way to root

these are the results from checking root :

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.
    Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6.1 - Added clear log to menu in log tab, More languages, Bugfixes is installed!
    System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin
    The adb binary is set to default shell user access as a standard non-root user
    Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/bin/su:
    -rwxr-xr-x root shell 26264 2010-10-16 22:04 su
    Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
    lrwxrwxrwx root root 2011-08-08 20:47 su -> /system/xbin/busybox
    Alternate su binary location:
    /sbin/su: Permission denied
    Alternate su type binary location:
    /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
    SU binary not found or not operating properly
    Results provided on your C771 device by Root Checker version 3.7 from joeykrim in the Android Market - http://goo.gl/GgWae
    Last edited by gweeto; 10-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    RazMaxx
    gweeto. I've not heard of anyone having much luck rooting a GB updated commando yet.
  6. See
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter current phone model here
    hey folks. new here (obviously).

i'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on this: my commando won't find the update at all. if i check for updates it says "please wait..." for about 60 sec then says "server unavailable. please check for updates when server is available." like i'm supposed to know when that is. checked about 10 times so far, same result every time (including a couple in middle of the night, thinking if it was because of heavy load on the server it would be less then). strange to me because the first time i tried it updated all this other crap no problem (nfl mobile, youtube, etc.).

i'd like to get this update, so any help is appreciated. it's funny, i was itching for a change for my phone so i went online to read up on rooting, and that's when i saw that GB came out
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    Anyone else able to run netflix on the new gingerbread?
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio G'zOne Commando

disable Google tracking

Quote Originally Posted by See View Post
    hey folks. new here (obviously).

i'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on this: my commando won't find the update at all. if i check for updates it says "please wait..." for about 60 sec then says "server unavailable. please check for updates when server is available." like i'm supposed to know when that is. checked about 10 times so far, same result every time (including a couple in middle of the night, thinking if it was because of heavy load on the server it would be less then). strange to me because the first time i tried it updated all this other crap no problem (nfl mobile, youtube, etc.).

i'd like to get this update, so any help is appreciated. it's funny, i was itching for a change for my phone so i went online to read up on rooting, and that's when i saw that GB came out
    I had the same problem or similar so I kept at it , what finally worked for me was to disable google tracking gps or what ever it is called . Then Boom it installed without a hitch and am happy as can be as the update has changed my phone in a very positive way .

Wrath
  9. See
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter current phone model here
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathlon View Post
    I had the same problem or similar so I kept at it , what finally worked for me was to disable google tracking gps or what ever it is called . Then Boom it installed without a hitch and am happy as can be as the update has changed my phone in a very positive way .

Wrath
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't and never have had any GPS tracking anything on, I don't think. GPS is off, anyway. I may just wait a few weeks till everyone else has gotten it. We'll see. Anyone know if this can be made available as a .zip to download? Thanks again.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I too am having trouble with Netflix. Sucks cause I just got Netflix like three days ago and got the Gingerbread update yesterday.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links