Hey guys this is my first post but I figured it might inspire some of you guys who, like me, were going crazy not having a dedicated windshield mount for our phone. Here are some pictures of the end result, read on past the pictures if you want to know how I made it.
So here's what I did.
1 - Casio Commando Desktop Charging Cradle
1 - Ram Mount suction cup mount w/ arm and diamond plate mount
1 - 12"x24" sheet of 1/8" thick black ABS textured plastic
1. Use paper, cardboard or any other material that is easy to cut, bend, and mark on to design the plate that will be mounted to your cradle. Below is a basic drawing of my plate.
2. Make sure your design is exactly how you want it and then trace this onto your sheet of plastic. I used a silver Sharpie and then when cutting I knew I had to cut all the way to the inside edge of the line.
3. On your desktop cradle remove the rubber feet on the bottom (they get in the way of your new backer plate from sitting flush)
4. Use a vice and clamp the backer plate into it right at the fold line.
5. Use a small torch to slowly heat the plastic. Be sure to do this evenly across the whole piece and do not get it too hot.
6. Once the plastic has some play in it begin folding to the approximate angle of the cradle. Do your bend slowly while continuing to heat the fold line with the torch. Too fast and you will crack/tear the plastic.
7. Test fit the backer plate to the cradle. If the angle needs a large adjustment, do this in the vice. If the adjustment is minor CAREFULLY heat the bend while the backer plate is on the cradle and form it to the cradle.
8. Make sure you like the shape and fit of your piece and glue them together.
9. Glue the diamond plate mount to the back of the backer plate making sure to leave clearance for your charging cable.
10. Let the glue/adhesive/epoxy cure and mount it all to your windshield.
You can see in my pictures that I have run a charging cable to my new mount and now the phone charges while I drive. I love this mount and have had no issues with it falling out. I intentionally drove down a seasonal road faster than I should have to see if I could knock it loose. The phone stayed put. Here is a picture of that road...