DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casio G'zone review

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Casio Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    I played with the phone at VZW the other day. Not to big, not to small, does have an ice rugged feel to it. I ran a quadrant on it. Scored in the 8-900s I think. I bet if you OC it from 800MHz to 1-1.2Ghz and put it on a diet it would be a good performer. I just wonder how well it could tolerate an OC as it might not be able to tolerate the increase in heat.
    First off If any one can over clock this please post how Iv tried setCPU and i cant get it to go more then 806mhz.

2nd Here is my 2 cents about the Casio Comando

Pros
    -Screen looks amazing
    -Thick gorilla glass helps protect screen
    -Rugged
    -Water Resistant
    -Fast

Cons
    -Thick screen makes you press harder to use touch
    -waterproof headphone jack makes some head phones not useable
    -Not 4g

The Casio Commando allows people who once couldnít have smart phones get smart phones. This Android phone running 2.2 is fast and very rugged. The first thing I did when I got the phone was put this phone under water in my tub and took pictures made phone calls and texts as well as updated my facebook underwater. I will say do that at your own risk and I wouldnít take your phone very deep but if you drop it in water it will live to tell the story.

After the water test I tested the speed using the 3g I got 1mbts up and 1mbts down witch was fairly good. Itís no 4g phone but if you are a rugged user 4g is probably not where you going to take this phone any ways. It has built in wifi and I connected to my router with ez. This phone is also a wireless hot spot for an extra monthly fee.

The screen is 800x480 and looks amazing itís a little smaller then the droid x or the thunderbolt but its still pretty good size. One thing that I love about this phone is that it uses a thick gorilla glass witch helps reduces scratches as well as live up to drops and falls. The little bit thicker glass makes it a slightly less touchy then other phones but once you get use to having to press a little harder you get you to it pretty fast.

The day I got this phone I tried to run as many programs at a time to see how the 800mhz processor handheld. To my surprise switching between texting, sirusxm, slingbox, Pandora, browser, and making a few calls in between this phone never stop to think. It was running as fast as I could think. I ran Quadrant and got a score of 1050.

It has a 5mpx camera but camera people will tell you mega pixels donít mean every thing. This camera is pretty decent. Itís not going to win any professional photos but it will take great photos and videos to post up on facebook or what have you.

One thing that I loved more then any other phone I have had is this thing kicks on speakers. When I watched my slingbox you could hear the sound loud and crisp, better then my laptop. Going to speaker phone was the same thing Casio did the speakers right when they made this phone and will work nice to put it on speaker phone out in the field when your hands are full.

At the end of the day this is a really good phone and allows people never before able to have smart phones get them with out worrying about weather conditions. Itís not the fastest phone or the best looking phone. But itís defiantly the most rugged phone and so is my jeep and thatís why I Love it.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    rossi636
    Phone
    D1 and iP4S
    Quote Originally Posted by gioakjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    I played with the phone at VZW the other day. Not to big, not to small, does have an ice rugged feel to it. I ran a quadrant on it. Scored in the 8-900s I think. I bet if you OC it from 800MHz to 1-1.2Ghz and put it on a diet it would be a good performer. I just wonder how well it could tolerate an OC as it might not be able to tolerate the increase in heat.
    First off If any one can over clock this please post how Iv tried setCPU and i cant get it to go more then 806mhz.

2nd Here is my 2 cents about the Casio Comando

Pros
    -Screen looks amazing
    -Thick gorilla glass helps protect screen
    -Rugged
    -Water Resistant
    -Fast

Cons
    -Thick screen makes you press harder to use touch
    -waterproof headphone jack makes some head phones not useable
    -Not 4g

The Casio Commando allows people who once couldnít have smart phones get smart phones. This Android phone running 2.2 is fast and very rugged. The first thing I did when I got the phone was put this phone under water in my tub and took pictures made phone calls and texts as well as updated my facebook underwater. I will say do that at your own risk and I wouldnít take your phone very deep but if you drop it in water it will live to tell the story.

After the water test I tested the speed using the 3g I got 1mbts up and 1mbts down witch was fairly good. Itís no 4g phone but if you are a rugged user 4g is probably not where you going to take this phone any ways. It has built in wifi and I connected to my router with ez. This phone is also a wireless hot spot for an extra monthly fee.

The screen is 800x480 and looks amazing itís a little smaller then the droid x or the thunderbolt but its still pretty good size. One thing that I love about this phone is that it uses a thick gorilla glass witch helps reduces scratches as well as live up to drops and falls. The little bit thicker glass makes it a slightly less touchy then other phones but once you get use to having to press a little harder you get you to it pretty fast.

The day I got this phone I tried to run as many programs at a time to see how the 800mhz processor handheld. To my surprise switching between texting, sirusxm, slingbox, Pandora, browser, and making a few calls in between this phone never stop to think. It was running as fast as I could think. I ran Quadrant and got a score of 1050.

It has a 5mpx camera but camera people will tell you mega pixels donít mean every thing. This camera is pretty decent. Itís not going to win any professional photos but it will take great photos and videos to post up on facebook or what have you.

One thing that I loved more then any other phone I have had is this thing kicks on speakers. When I watched my slingbox you could hear the sound loud and crisp, better then my laptop. Going to speaker phone was the same thing Casio did the speakers right when they made this phone and will work nice to put it on speaker phone out in the field when your hands are full.

At the end of the day this is a really good phone and allows people never before able to have smart phones get them with out worrying about weather conditions. Itís not the fastest phone or the best looking phone. But itís defiantly the most rugged phone and so is my jeep and thatís why I Love it.
    Thanks for the review. You've shined a new light on a device I would not give a 2nd look to. Now, it's a little more appealing than before.
    Any clue if it will ever see Gingerbread on it?

Thanks again
    David

►o∑pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    just left unrooted DX w /GB running launcherpro and beautifull widgets and switcherpro for powercontrol. Im running the same experience on my commando. CC is not a media powerhouse but with 'smart keyboard' app set up right(keyboard gripes gone), 'power amp' to run music w eq, and getting used to pressing hard on pad it is a fine jump.

I work outdoors now(ex vzw rep!) and love the sound and tough nature. I broke my DX screen from 14" drop to concrete - fail.

Quadrants 1100-1150. When I saw this at a company store deal was done. Wirefly'd mine FREE.

WISHLIST: amoled screen, voice text software(not a huge deal?)
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    RazMaxx
    A quick comment about the screen, I've had mine just over a week and have gotten used to certain screen quirks. No big deal at all. I have found that certain presses just take getting used to and after a week I'm already used to it. I really like the phone and am even getting used to swype on the kb. Curious if anybody has a better 3rd party kb they have D/L'd for their commando that they feel works even better.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Thumbs up

...my loaded up 16gb card from my Droid x works fine in the CC....thought this would be good info for any moto-droid jumpers

brand to brand no guarantees w memory formatting
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    casio commando
    was wndering I have been taking scrrenshot with my commando. ive read that if ypu push the back button amd hold it then push the home key that it takes scree shots. that doesnt work does anyone have any suggestions. also what is agood root tool.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links