DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD-EXT not mounting

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

SD-EXT not mounting

Even though I still have a class 2 card, I wanted to begin using Apps2SD. I used ROM Manager to create a 512 partition with 0 MB swap (bc of class 2). After rebooting, SD-EXT isn't visible in Root Explorer (nor is there a /system/sd folder).

I used the "move to sd card" feature, and it seemed to work, but later determined that these are getting mounted in /mnt/asec.

I loaded the SD card in Ubuntu and copied a few files to the ext3 partition. I then rebooted the phone and searched in root explorer for the files I copied and they aren't found.

Running BBv5 with Chevy's LV1100 kernel.

I'm not sure if Firerat's fix is appropriate for BB.

I've tried "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext" in terminal emulator but get 'no such file or directory' response.

Can anyone help me get /sd-ext to mount correctly and visible in root explorer??

Thanks!

3. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Try

mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

If that works, you can get Firerat's Apps2EXT script to work on BB v0.5.

And just a heads up, moving apps to SD in Froyo through Manage Apps in the settings will always move them to the FAT partition. That's why Firerat's script also creates a APKMAnager.sh script to move them from internal to external (sd-ext) memory.

If the above command works to get your sd-ext partition mounted, try Firerat's script and let me know how it goes.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    When I did that in Terminal Emulator on the phone, it responds with: 'Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-0 options] [-t type] device directory' (presumably indicating incorrect syntax).

I tried running the a2sd and sdext scripts from Firerat anyway to see if it would do better than I. Here is the relevant output:

/system/etc/init.d/*userinit*: No such file or directory
    ========================
    grep: /system/etc/init.d/mountsd: no such file or directory
    e2fsck not found, assuming fs ok..
    ========================
    /sd-ext mount failed exiting

Does that help? The only files i see in my /system/etc/init.d/ directory are:
    01cpuod
    02vm
    03backup
    04vending
  5. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, let's try something here.

Grab the attached file, unzip it and place it in /system/etc/init.d/, then set the permissions to "rwxr-x---" (if you aren't sure about this, look at the other files permissions with root explorer. It will be User - Read, Write, Execute; Group - Read, Execute).

After you do that, reboot your phone and check to see if your sd-ext partition was mounted correctly. You can do this by going to sd-ext with root explorer and checking if you see a "used/free" at the top of your screen.

Once you do that, let me know if it works and we'll go from there.
    Attached Files
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    We're getting closer!

It didn't seem to mount immediately, but after a moment, the SD-EXT directory did appear. However, it didn't have a file that I previously copied to that partition. Nor did it show a used/free at the top of root explorer. Nor does it appear in my SD card & Phone storage settings page.

I ran 'sh /sdcard/fr-patch140.txt sdext a2sd' again to see if it could complete the rest. The first time I did, it seemed to have mounted SD-EXT as read only. So, I mounted as r/w in root explorer and ran again, but there still seem to be problems (besides the initial mounting as r/o). Here is the updated output:

/system/etc/init.d/*userinit*: No such file or directory
    ========================
    /system/etc/init.d/05mountsd already exists (to be expected)
    ========================
    /sd-ext not mounted.. skipping a2sd

Then a bunch of stuff about moving data/data to sd-ext, which I skipped because SD-EXT still doesn't seem to be mounting quite right.
  7. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, one step at a time; first of all, I think you have an old script. You should be running "fr-a2sd_1-34c.sh.txt" which is the most recent script file from Firerat, get it from here.

Ok, a few things straight, the sd-ext partition will not appear in your SD Card & Phone Storage under settings. Since this isn't an official function in a ROM (it's more like a work-around to use the old apps2sd that used the sd-ext partition instead of Froyo's native apps2sd using the FAT partition).

Now, you say no used/free info was provided for /sd-ext/ in root explorer, that means it wasn't mounted, but did you have that folder before, or no? If it just appeared after placing the 05mountsd file in /system/etc/init.d/ folder, then try another reboot to see if your EXT partition finally get's mounted to the /sd-ext/ folder.

No need to run any scripts just yet; first we need to try to mount your EXT partition manually before we can even think about running the script.

OMG, I just remembered. What kernel are you using? Certain kernels do not support mounting external EXT partitions. I recommend you try slayher's kernel as I know this one to work 100% with mounting an external EXT partition. Find them here. Make sure it's one of the ones that say NEW Version 1.6.

Get back to me, we will definitely get your phone working with Apps2EXT.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I think you have an old script. You should be running "fr-a2sd_1-34c.sh.txt" which is the most recent script file from Firerat, get it from here.
    The one I got uses the 1.3.4 script. I got it here:
    [PATCH] Firerat 'all in one' patch file [ v1.4.0 - 2010-09-06 ] - xda-developers

The sd-ext partition will not appear in your SD Card & Phone Storage under settings.
    I don't really care if it appears here because I check several places. However, I have seen scren captures in other forums that it does appear here (they weren't Droids, and I've closed those tabs since we were making better progress). If it doesn't then oh well. Thanks for the info.

Now, you say no used/free info was provided for /sd-ext/ in root explorer, that means it wasn't mounted, but did you have that folder before, or no? If it just appeared after placing the 05mountsd file in /system/etc/init.d/ folder, then try another reboot to see if your EXT partition finally get's mounted to the /sd-ext/ folder.
    It appeared for a hot second, but seemed to disappear after running Firerat's script the first time. I know the disappearing doesn't make sense, but I can't explain it. After I put your 05mountsd there, the dir remained. I tried rebooting several times after that, running Firerat's script in between to see, but still doesn't seem to be mounting correctly.

What kernel are you using?
    I had read that somewhere too. I was originally on a Chevy kernel. After reading that it mattered, I flashed a jdlfg kernel. Then, reading on the CM page, I flashed a bekit kernel (which resulted in the boot freezing on M). So, I flashed back to a Chevy. I've now put a Slayher on (I actually looked for slayher in Rom Manager and swear I didn't see it yesterday, but its there today. Thanks for the link). I tend to stick to 1.1 GHz.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    UPDATE: The Slayher kernel seems to have done the trick!!
    (along with your fine help, and file that you sent!)

YAY Slayher!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Last edited by jaytime; 10-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Awesome! I'm so glad to hear it worked!
  11. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Now, a few points you should know. You should run Firerat's script even though your sd-ext partition is already being mounted by the 05mountsd file; this is so it will create the APKManager.sh and bind mounting files. When you run it, it'll ask you if you want to bind /data/data/ to /sd-ext/data/, this is your choice to make depending on how much space you wish to save, how many apps you want to install without running out of space, or how much performance you are willing to sacrifice.

I personally did bind /data/data/ to /sd-ext/data/ with the stock 16GB class 2 card and notice little to no performance sacrificed, so I recommend going that route since it will give you the best space saving per installed app.

The other thing to remember is that /data/dalvik-cache/ will keep growing the more you install apps, so your internal /data/ partition will still shrink with every installed app, but at an incredibly low rate.

After getting everything set up, you should keep in mind that any app that auto-installs to internal memory will now be automatically installed in /sd-ext/app/ (since this workaround actually tricks the device into thinking /sd-ext/app/ is actually /data/app/), but every app that auto installs into your SD (Apps2FAT in Froyo) should be moved into "internal" memory for best performance/space saving. You can do this through the normal Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > SD > Move to Phone, or you can use APKManager.sh through ADB/Terminal Emulator to batch move them.

Also, you can choose certain apps to install in real internal memory through the APKManager.sh file (if you have an app you want to make sure doesn't lag on your and such). Firerat's script makes 2 new folders in your /data/ partition called /data/app-i/ and /data/app-private-i/; now the way these work is that APKManager.sh makes a symlink file in /sd-ext/app/ pointing to /data/app-i/ or /sd-ext/app-private/ to /data/app-private-i/, so your phone actually reads and executes the app from real internal memory.

If you have any questions, let me know, and enjoy!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links