DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FRG22D Stop OTA Notification for BB Froyo V0.4

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    How about someone start setting up these damn custom ROMs to disable these OTA notifications altogether for good? This is ****ing annoying to have to go back and keep continuously patching just to avoid this nonsense.
  2. Soulless Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    zerosouls
    Phone
    Razr
    Premium Member
    Lawls

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Feel like a geek?: http://gplus.to/GeekPlus
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Exclamation Yes its annoying but....

Quote Originally Posted by daggah View Post
    This is ****ing annoying to have to go back and keep continuously patching just to avoid this nonsense.
    Yes its annoying bud, but please watch the language on the forums. Plenty of ways to get your point across without cursing on a public forum. Not trying to be a jerk, just one of the few that like to see a clean forum so peoples kids don't see it either. Thanks man.
    XxSinisteRxX

Motorola Droid1 - Rooted/BB GPA16/SV 800Mhz Kernel
    Motorola Droid RAZR - Rooted - Stock as of yet ;}
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    How about someone start setting up these damn custom ROMs to disable these OTA notifications altogether for good? This is ****ing annoying to have to go back and keep continuously patching just to avoid this nonsense.
    Yah and I want my droid to fan me and feed me grapes but that's just not gunna happen. Look at petes website and read his post. It explains why it can't be done. If your compitent enough, this patch takes you less than two minutes. Regardless if your custom rom or stock, it has to get done and it'll take just as much of your time either way.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Thumbs up I agree my friend, i agree. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bartl3by View Post
    Yah and I want my droid to fan me and feed me grapes but that's just not gunna happen. Look at petes website and read his post. It explains why it can't be done. If your compitent enough, this patch takes you less than two minutes. Regardless if your custom rom or stock, it has to get done and it'll take just as much of your time either way.

lol It takes about the same amount of time as it does to install a whole new kernel or Rom in some cases. I don't see it as being that annoying personally. I'm just thankful that you took the initiative to patch pete's rom for us to solve this problem. Noticed the extra tag on the about phone section as well. lol (Bugless Beast V0.4 Patched by Bartl3by)
    XxSinisteRxX

6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Question Looks pretty rough. lol

Man i really need to clean up that #4 link in my Signature a little bit. What's the bb code for doing that if u know? Just want it to show the title only and still be a clickable link.
    XxSinisteRxX

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSinisteRxX View Post

lol It takes about the same amount of time as it does to install a whole new kernel or Rom in some cases. I don't see it as being that annoying personally. I'm just thankful that you took the initiative to patch pete's rom for us to solve this problem. Noticed the extra tag on the about phone section as well. lol (Bugless Beast V0.4 Patched by Bartl3by)
    Trust me, it's a lot less acceptable when you're deployed on wi-fi that's spotty enough as it is and half the time the update to fix it won't even download. Then your phone nags you every 5 damn minutes to update for a patch you don't want.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by azpilot View Post
    I got the update notify this morning, let it run, stopped with ! in the triangle, rebooted and all is fine no more notifications. Same as before.
    Had the same experience as you indicated. Today the undated request came through and after I let it go it was stopped at the '!' and rebooted with the phone going back to what it was prior to the updating process starting. Probably will start again but hopefully Pete will come out with v0.5 that will stop this process completely.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tyson1 View Post
    from GirLuvsDroid on androidforums.com

Hopefully, you have Root Explorer (and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
    2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
    3. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
    4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)
    5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
    6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it.

This works - I just did it to 2 different phones, and have not been requested to install OTA update any more
    Will this work on my phone that's running Chevy's simply stunning 4.7??
    He's on vacation til the 17th, so I'm kinda jammed until then. I just started getting the OTA last night, AND IT HASN'T STOPPED!!
    I've probably downloaded close to 2 GB in the last 24 hours...not good.
    I have the otacerts.zip in the /system/etc/security....I renamed it to otacerts.zip.bak and it STILL keeps downloading, even after rebooting. I tried messing with that 1 other file in that folder, but to no avail. Nobody in the forum will answer my very important question.
    The thing is it NEVER asks me to install the update, once it's done downloading the 77MB file over and over, it just starts again immediately.

It'll say "Download Complete...Verifying..." then it will say Your System Is Up to Date.

1 minute later, the OTA will start downloading again. I remember back when we were all running 2.1 ROMs when all other droids were still on 2.0.1 that you just renamed that otacerts.zip file and let it install, it got blocked by either recovery, SPRecovery for me, and once I rebooted I never got prompted for that update again....but this OTA update is MUCH SMARTER this time around....not cool
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Nice, Bartl3by. Worked great. Thank you saving Peter time to work on v.05

daggah, Right now, dealing with a few annoyances is part of the price you pay for your phone's freedom. If you don't like it, don't mod. But please don't bash our beloved ROM devs who do this for free... "there is no charge for awesomeness..."
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links