DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FRG22D Stop OTA Notification for BB Froyo V0.4

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    bionic
    Gonna do this when i get home. Unless i can do it straight from the phone?
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Import roller View Post
    Gonna do this when i get home. Unless i can do it straight from the phone?
    Just try to install the ota like its asking you to. If petes old patch is working fine, it should fail the install and reboot you back to normal. You only need this if it locks up on you and you have to do a battery pull like the select few. if you need to, dolphin browser and oi file manager is what I use to download and move the file to sd root.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Question Bartl3by i have a quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Bartl3by View Post
    This is Pete's FRG01B OTA notification patch I modded to work with Verizons FRG22D OTA.

First off, this is 99.9999% Pete's work, its just tweaked by your truely. Petes got his hands tied having to rebuild v0.5 so I figured this would save him time.

Tested on two droids with no issues.

Same Instructions apply as his previous patch
    Download
    Place on SD Root
    Boot Into Recovery
    No Data or Cache Wipe needed
    Install Update.zip
    Reboot
    Enjoy

Again, Pete, if you have an issue with this being posted, please let me know and ill remove it, just trying to help out.
    I've installed the FRF84BV04.zip ROM and i'm still getting the OTA popup. I noticed you listed FRG22D, are these two the same? Like FRG22D is the OS Version and FRF84BV04 is the ROM Version? If so, will this patch Completely stop the OTA popup?
    XxSinisteRxX

Motorola Droid1 - Rooted/BB GPA16/SV 800Mhz Kernel
    Motorola Droid RAZR - Rooted - Stock as of yet ;}
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSinisteRxX View Post
    This is Pete's FRG01B OTA notification patch I modded to work with Verizons FRG22D OTA.

First off, this is 99.9999% Pete's work, its just tweaked by your truely. Petes got his hands tied having to rebuild v0.5 so I figured this would save him time.

Tested on two droids with no issues.

Same Instructions apply as his previous patch
    Download
    Place on SD Root
    Boot Into Recovery
    No Data or Cache Wipe needed
    Install Update.zip
    Reboot
    Enjoy

Again, Pete, if you have an issue with this being posted, please let me know and ill remove it, just trying to help out.
    I've installed the FRF84BV04.zip ROM and i'm still getting the OTA popup. I noticed you listed FRG22D, are these two the same? Like FRG22D is the OS Version and FRF84BV04 is the ROM Version? If so, will this patch Completely stop the OTA popup?
    Ok so you installed the entire BB v0.4 with frf84bv04. Now go to peteralfonso.com and download the patch he posted regarding stop ota notifications. It should be the first topic on his home page. Throw it onto the root of your sd card like you did that previous rom. Once its installed, reboot and ALLOW the ota that verizon is pushing to try and do its thing. It should fail out in the process and reboot your phone. Petes patch should make the ota stop showing up after that.

Again, this patch in my original post is only for those who are experiencing lockup and have to battery pull after the update fails.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Question

[quote=Bartl3by;795703][quote=XxSinisteRxX;795288]

Ok so you installed the entire BB v0.4 with frf84bv04. Now go to peteralfonso.com and download the patch he posted regarding stop ota notifications. It should be the first topic on his home page. Throw it onto the root of your sd card like you did that previous rom. Once its installed, reboot and ALLOW the ota that verizon is pushing to try and do its thing. It should fail out in the process and reboot your phone. Petes patch should make the ota stop showing up after that.

Again, this patch in my original post is only for those who are experiencing lockup and have to battery pull after the update fails.

The patch he posted is for the FRG01B version, as he states here: Peter Alfonso said... This will not stop the latest update (FRG22D) this patch was created back before we knew about FRG22D so it will only stop FRG01B. I am hard at work on BB V0.5 so please be patient. School has started so I must be sure I keep up with homework as well. Thanks for visiting the site!
    9/1/10 8:25 PM This patch will not stop the FRG22D update that i have.. lol Does your patch do this and allow me to keep the BB V0.4 setup i have now? And something kinda funny is happening....i mounted my phone and deleted that OTA update.zip file from the root of my phone, yet i'm still getting the update notification and whenever i re-mount my phone the OTA Update.zip file still isn't showing. lol wtf? :P So i'm kinda nervous about placing ur patch update on there anyways because hopefully it won't use the wrong update file and screw up my phone. lol
    XxSinisteRxX

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    [quote=XxSinisteRxX;795915][quote=Bartl3by;795703]
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSinisteRxX View Post

The patch he posted is for the FRG01B version, as he states here: Peter Alfonso said... This will not stop the latest update (FRG22D) this patch was created back before we knew about FRG22D so it will only stop FRG01B. I am hard at work on BB V0.5 so please be patient. School has started so I must be sure I keep up with homework as well. Thanks for visiting the site!
    9/1/10 8:25 PM This patch will not stop the FRG22D update that i have.. lol Does your patch do this and allow me to keep the BB V0.4 setup i have now? And something kinda funny is happening....i mounted my phone and deleted that OTA update.zip file from the root of my phone, yet i'm still getting the update notification and whenever i re-mount my phone the OTA Update.zip file still isn't showing. lol wtf? :P So i'm kinda nervous about placing ur patch update on there anyways because hopefully it won't use the wrong update file and screw up my phone. lol
    Download oi file manager from the market and browse your phone. As long as the update.zip is not on root of the sd card(not in any designated folder, just "sd/update.zip") then your fine. Download the patch to your root, and install it. I promise you nothing bad will happen(because there's almost nothing in this patch anyways...) you probably won't even notice a difference other than you don't get the notification anymore.

Youarent seeing the old update.zip because it isn't there. Just because your getting the ota notification doesn't mean you have the file on your sd. All it means is that verizon sees that your phone isn't currently running frg22d and they want to have you download and install it. All this patch does is trick verizon into thinking frg22d is already on your phone so they'll leave you alone. Hence why this patch is so small, its JUST a registry.
    Last edited by Bartl3by; 09-02-2010 at 10:39 AM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Question

[quote=Bartl3by;795968][quote=XxSinisteRxX;795915]

Download oi file manager from the market and browse your phone. As long as the update.zip is not on root of the sd card(not in any designated folder, just "sd/update.zip") then your fine. Download the patch to your root, and install it. I promise you nothing bad will happen(because there's almost nothing in this patch anyways...) you probably won't even notice a difference other than you don't get the notification anymore.
    Ok, i'll trust you then and go ahead and apply the updated patch. I'll admit i was a little nervous about doing that because of how new you are according to your profile details on the left. But you sound like you know what your doing so i'll give it a shot. I've already got Astro File Manager on my phone, will that work fine too? Or do i have to have the oi file manager for that?
    XxSinisteRxX

8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR XT912

Thumbs up Success!

[quote=Bartl3by;795968][quote=XxSinisteRxX;795915]

Youarent seeing the old update.zip because it isn't there. Just because your getting the ota notification doesn't mean you have the file on your sd. All it means is that verizon sees that your phone isn't currently running frg22d and they want to have you download and install it. All this patch does is trick verizon into thinking frg22d is already on your phone so they'll leave you alone. Hence why this patch is so small, its JUST a registry.
    Nice job Bartl3by. I got the update applied and it seems to have worked. Appreciate your help and i'll get back to you if it reappears for some reason. Thanks again!
    XxSinisteRxX

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    from GirLuvsDroid on androidforums.com

Hopefully, you have Root Explorer (and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
    2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
    3. Once the file is open as a text file, scroll down until you see the line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows:
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
    4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automatically back up the original file for you)
    5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
    6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it.

This works - I just did it to 2 different phones, and have not been requested to install OTA update any more
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I just let the phone try to install the update, reboot to nandroid and reboot again. It stops the update for about a week. I can wait for v.05 to come out...
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links