DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: .4 rom and wifi tether

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

.4 rom and wifi tether

Hey guys I am sending this from my droid because I'm on the road right now. I can't get the wifi tether to work anymore.. I'm trying to test it with my sisters incredible, but it doesn't even see it. I have tried a few of the releases from the google app download page but none seem to work.. any ideas?? Thanks
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.2 bbv 0.4
    The wifi tether prolly still works. Wifi tether apps create an ad-hoc network, which for some reason can't be connected to by android phones. If you use something else like a laptop or mp3 player to connect it will most likely work.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks for the suggestion, ill dig the laptop out soon and check
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.2 bbv 0.4
    No problem. Also, if you really need it to work on your android phone or something, you can just use windows vista or 7 to share the network it's attached to. When your laptop creates a network it won't be ad-hoc and can be used by any wireless device.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, ill dig the laptop out soon and check
    When ever I have had an issue with the 'Wireless Tether' Market place application I fixed it by uninstalling it and doing another downloading again and installing. Not sure why it sometimes just stops but hey thats part of life I guess in the fast lane.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid & nonroot Nexus 1
    i wrote to the developer of the wifi tether app and apparently the kernel bugless beast .4 includes does not have all the requirements for wifi tether. you can still run bb .4, you just need a different kernel.

btw this is only for connecting a device that will recognize an adhoc network.

With the default bb kernel i was only able to get certain versions (i don't recall which) to work with the wifi tether Access Control turned OFF.

for this and other reasons, i gave up on bb - maybe will try .5 when/if its ever released - for now happy on FR22B.

from the wifi tether developer:
    The problem you're having isn't a problem with the application, it's with your kernel. It was configured and compiled without all of the necessary netfilter options.

Walking you through the steps is a little out of the scope of this project, but you need to make sure that the kernel configuration includes both CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=y
    and
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y

see http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...an=1&q=bugless
    Last edited by jkhouw1; 08-17-2010 at 07:35 PM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeden View Post
    The wifi tether prolly still works. Wifi tether apps create an ad-hoc network, which for some reason can't be connected to by android phones. If you use something else like a laptop or mp3 player to connect it will most likely work.
    I never could get this to work. Tried a few times using my friend laptop. never see's my network that should of been created from my phone.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jkhouw1 View Post
    i wrote to the developer of the wifi tether app and apparently the kernel bugless beast .4 includes does not have all the requirements for wifi tether. you can still run bb .4, you just need a different kernel.

btw this is only for connecting a device that will recognize an adhoc network.

With the default bb kernel i was only able to get certain versions (i don't recall which) to work with the wifi tether Access Control turned OFF.

for this and other reasons, i gave up on bb - maybe will try .5 when/if its ever released - for now happy on FR22B.

from the wifi tether developer:
    The problem you're having isn't a problem with the application, it's with your kernel. It was configured and compiled without all of the necessary netfilter options.

Walking you through the steps is a little out of the scope of this project, but you need to make sure that the kernel configuration includes both CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=y
    and
    CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y

see Issue 427 - android-wifi-tether - Issues connecting use Droid (BuglessBeast 0.4 Froyo) - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Yeah, I just noticed this too. I don't need access control, but it's nice. Disappointing that BB0.4 doesn't have those features in the kernel, because I know earlier BB versions did. I wish there was a good fix until 0.5.

Links