DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 A955

SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery

I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on both the recoveries out there?
    Ups, downs, advantages, disadvantages?
    Is one more reliable than the other?
    I've heard that backups made with the 2 are not interchangeable. Is that true? What about nandroid backups?
    I personally have only used SPRecovery but was thinking about giving ClockworkMod a try since you don't have to rename update.zips haha.
    Last edited by mrpotatohead99; 08-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpotatohead99 View Post
    I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on both the recoveries out there?
    Ups, downs, advantages, disadvantages?
    Is one more reliable than the other?
    I've heard that backups made with the 2 are not interchangeable. Is that true?
    I personally have only used SPRecovery but was thinking about giving ClockworkMod a try since you don't have to rename update.zips haha.
    Personally everyone will have a different opinion.. I have been using clockworkmod without fail from the start, it works for me.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I prefer clockwork, you can't swap out backups but if you flash between recoveries while using the same rom you can make two backups if needed. I use Rom Manager to help out the whole process.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I recently had a similar discussion:

Clockwork discussion

My outcome was to switch to clockwork and rom manager. I havnt paid for rom manager b/c i dont feel the need to, but to some it might be worth it.

One observation is that rom manager makes it too easy for ppl to apply roms without them understanding what they are doing. My biggest issue with this is that these same ppl ask the most dumb questions that if they would simply read release notes and such, they would know why their rom didnt work.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Clockwork is easy. It's for those who go the easy way flashing roms. (no offense) Rom Manager is a great tool. Personally, i have had to many fail issues with clockwork. I use SPRecovery. The install is cleaner. No matter what anyone tells you, you should always, factory reset wiping both data and cache when flashing any theme or any rom. If you don't you will indeed have some kind of issue. Maybe not right away but you will in time. Clockwork does not allow for "full" wipes and "clean" installs. This is just my opinion so take it how you like.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by huskur View Post
    Clockwork is easy. It's for those who go the easy way flashing roms. (no offense) Rom Manager is a great tool. Personally, i have had to many fail issues with clockwork. I use SPRecovery. The install is cleaner. No matter what anyone tells you, you should always, factory reset wiping both data and cache when flashing any theme or any rom. If you don't you will indeed have some kind of issue. Maybe not right away but you will in time. Clockwork does not allow for "full" wipes and "clean" installs. This is just my opinion so take it how you like.
    After using clockwork over the weekend my observation is that the backups from CW seem more robust than from SPR. Rom manager would seem like the major culprit if something didn't work correctly with CW. Everything is CW seemed just like SPR, except with the added ability to grab a rom from anywhere on the SD card(which i feel is the nicest feature). One small complaint is that the listing of files is not alphabetized, not sure why, maybe b/c of how they mount the card or something, but it is a small issue with me.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I haven't used Clockwork, but Pete suggested everyone stop using SPRecovery and start using Clockwork. He said everything would be easier that way, but he didn't say why. I would switch, but I've already installed SPRecovery and honestly I have no idea how to switch. I've done a bit of google searching but I can't find a guide that explains how to go from SPRecovery to Clockwork. If anyone wants to let me know, I'll switch!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Clockwork works with a program from the market called "Rom Manager" which streamlines the whole process of making recoveries and installing roms on your phone. If you already have root access simply search for the app on the market, and when it installs it will prompt you that you have Sprecovery installed, and if you would like to install Clockwork. Oblige it, and it will download the latest version of clockwork and install it (another perk is that it will let you know about recovery updates). Hope this helps, clockwork and Rom manager will make the new guy to average users's life much easier. Yet it's full feature set is robust enough for the hardcore of the bunch.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by thebignoob View Post
    Clockwork works with a program from the market called "Rom Manager" which streamlines the whole process of making recoveries and installing roms on your phone. If you already have root access simply search for the app on the market, and when it installs it will prompt you that you have Sprecovery installed, and if you would like to install Clockwork. Oblige it, and it will download the latest version of clockwork and install it (another perk is that it will let you know about recovery updates). Hope this helps, clockwork and Rom manager will make the new guy to average users's life much easier. Yet it's full feature set is robust enough for the hardcore of the bunch.
    The ease of use to the "new guys" is a downside i feel. They don't truly understand what they are doing and with a single problem they start pointing fingers and asking dumb questions that could be solved with a simple search.

To be honest, i want the hardest, most convoluted process to root your device so that only the people who understand whats going on are willing to undertake the process. This would cut down on the bull**** problems and questions. Ease of use = dumb ppl doing smart things....sorry, just and observation, i don't mean to insult those dumb ppl out there.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 A955
    Quote Originally Posted by johfiner View Post
    I haven't used Clockwork, but Pete suggested everyone stop using SPRecovery and start using Clockwork. He said everything would be easier that way, but he didn't say why. I would switch, but I've already installed SPRecovery and honestly I have no idea how to switch. I've done a bit of google searching but I can't find a guide that explains how to go from SPRecovery to Clockwork. If anyone wants to let me know, I'll switch!
    I decided to make the switch from SPRecovery to Clockwork in order to throw in my own feedback as well. Haha. So far I'm loving the fact that I don't always have to rename update.zip files to "update.zip" in order to install/flash them. Clockwork allows you to select ANY .zip file on your SD card. That makes let's say flashing a ROM, followed by a kernel, and finally a baseband easier. No more renaming! Other than that it works pretty much the same as SPRecovery and so I would highly recommend Clockwork. And thanks to the comments above we also now know that the nandroid backups made by SPRecovery and Clockwork are NOT interchangeable. But you could flash back and forth between the 2 recoveries and make 2 backups. (Seems a little redundant to me haha.)

To switch simply download the free version of ROM Manager from Market. Then select the first option in ROM Manager to flash Clockwork recovery. (Make sure you allow the root access request that comes up during this process.) Then you can uninstall ROM Manager and Clockwork will still be there of course. No reason that I can see you really need ROM Manager installed after flashing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links