DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 0.4 stopOTA update.zip broke the overclock script

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

0.4 stopOTA update.zip broke the overclock script

Was trying to figure out why running the cpuinfo script from Android Terminal, it would only show current cpu frequency speed at 599.xx today. I checked it for awhile, it wouldn't ever display what it should have been at 799.xx.

This is a Droid 1, running 0.4 with chevyNo1 lv 0.8, since it came out.

Ran a couple tests to see if it was just a problem with the terminal, but it is indeed not applying the 800mhz like it always has. I had made a backup a few days ago, so I restored that, and it was showing at 799. again. Updated a few apps, rebooted and checked again - normal.

Installed the Droid2 live wallpaper, and switched the Droid X boot animation to the Droid2 boot animation I got on droid-life.com with the switchboot script. Rebooted and checked, all good still.
    Then I downloaded and applied the stopOTA update.zip again, and went through RM to boot into recovery and install it again as I had the frist time. Then checked cpuinfo. And it was again at 599.xx mhz.

I had made a copy of the build.prop file before I did this, and so I overwrote the new build.prop to the old one, rebooted and it's back to 799.xx.
    I had also tried the fixperm script the first time I noticed this. Gave me some error, (can't recall) but it didn't apply itself either. So not positive but other scripts might have been broken by it too.

Also not sure if it may be having a possible conflict with the specific chevy kernel or not, but I did install the newest chevy lv 0.8 froyo kernel to see if that would fix it the first time, and it didn't. I have been using the slightly older chevy froyo lv 0.8 kernel all the time I've been using 0.4 without any problems.

I dont use SetCPU, I just use the overclock script Pete puts in the ROM.

Not saying it breaks it for everyone else, just saying it does for my setup.
    LGB 2.6 FTW

3. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Why are you applying something called stopOTA update.zip in the first place?

In case you didn't know, Both custom recoveries (ClockworkMod and SPRecovery) will block the OTA update on their own, without any need to apply any such stopOTA update.zip.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Probably because boss man says we should if running 0.4?

das linky

guess I will see what happens with setcpu when I do this, probably a good time to make a backup as well. Looks like it's been an interesting couple of weeks I've mostly missed (vacation and back to work while all the updates have been rolling out).

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBarrier View Post

In case you didn't know, Both custom recoveries (ClockworkMod and SPRecovery) will block the OTA update on their own, without any need to apply any such stopOTA update.zip.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO Droid A855
    I just got through installing setcpu and then put the stopOTA on and all is fine. I'm running 0.4 with cpu set to 800.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID

I have been running custom roms sense the 1st week moto droid got root, I installed bugless v0.4 (Froyo 2.2 C_01.3E.01P) and I just got an OTA notification. I am assuming that if I do it I will loose root and all my other fun features but I think that is why there is something called stopOTA and now I need to find it
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play
    Just accept the OTA update. It will fail, and the notifications will stop.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2.2 bbv 0.4
    Anyone have any idea why Pete says to install this if the custom recoveries block it anyways? There has to be some good reason he made it.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Clockworkmod and SPRecovery do block the update from INSTALLING if you hit download and apply. However as some people noticed and told pete, the update service notices again that you are still on FRF84b, and tells you to download the update again, thus annoying you and draining battery.

This script is supposed to change your phones info into tricking the update service into thinking you are running FRG01, therefore no longer prompting you to update. However, I havn't tried it yet, but I can only assume it works as advertised.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Just installed stopOTA and it stole my root, no root applications work anymore.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Quote Originally Posted by psiuglen View Post
    Probably because boss man says we should if running 0.4?

das linky

guess I will see what happens with setcpu when I do this, probably a good time to make a backup as well. Looks like it's been an interesting couple of weeks I've mostly missed (vacation and back to work while all the updates have been rolling out).
    ^ What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by D-phone View Post
    I just got through installing setcpu and then put the stopOTA on and all is fine. I'm running 0.4 with cpu set to 800.
    Overclocking works fine if you use SetCPU, and have it installed. Have you tried it with just using the 800mhz overclocking script built into 0.4, and no SetCPU? This is what I'm referrring to.

The point isn't a debate on whether or not you need to use the stopOTA, the point is that I tried and tested it. It breaks stuff for me, and maybe someone else can confirm the same.
    LGB 2.6 FTW
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links