DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringer to Silent Option Gone with 2.2 or BB.4??

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Ringer to Silent Option Gone with 2.2 or BB.4??

I noticed I no longer have the silent option when adjusting my ringer with BB.4. I have all the different volumes, vibrate, but no just plain silent.

Is this a BB thing or a 2.2 thing?

Sorry if it has been covered, I couldn't figure out the correct search term.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    I noticed I no longer have the silent option when adjusting my ringer with BB.4. I have all the different volumes, vibrate, but no just plain silent.

Is this a BB thing or a 2.2 thing?

Sorry if it has been covered, I couldn't figure out the correct search term.
    Silent is still there, but with Froyo (Not a Bugless Beast issue), silent mode was removed from the ringer/volume rocker. Why? Who freaking knows. Stupid move on Google's part...

Anyways, you can still enable silent mode with a widget or on your lock screen with a swipe to the left. Not the best of solutions, but it's all we've got now.
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post
    Silent is still there, but with Froyo (Not a Bugless Beast issue), silent mode was removed from the ringer/volume rocker. Why? Who freaking knows. Stupid move on Google's part...

Anyways, you can still enable silent mode with a widget or on your lock screen with a swipe to the left. Not the best of solutions, but it's all we've got now.
    The silent option was not removed from the volume rocker. Google just separated the silent and the vibrate options in the phone settings. Which means you get to choose if you prefer a silent phone (vibrate is silent enough for most everyone I know) or a phone which completely lacks any form of notifications be it audible or by touch (what many of you call silent).

I for one am happy they finally changed it, and I hope they never change it back to the way it was (or at least make it an option to have it similar to how it is in Froyo).

Edit: If you use the "vibrate when not in silent" option, you can still use your volume rocker to choose silent.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I'm not seeing silent mode on the swipe screen, only vibrate. Looks like I'll have to download a widget.

The vibrate when not in silent loses my vibrate only. I like the silent option so I can just set my phone on the desk and it not make a racket when it vibrates sometimes. Also, just having the option to not be disturbed when it is in your pocket is nice too. My ADD won't let me focus until I see what the alert was for hahaha

Thanks for the help. Maybe we can work on this for BB.5...
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    I'm not seeing silent mode on the swipe screen, only vibrate. Looks like I'll have to download a widget.

The vibrate when not in silent loses my vibrate only. I like the silent option so I can just set my phone on the desk and it not make a racket when it vibrates sometimes. Also, just having the option to not be disturbed when it is in your pocket is nice too. My ADD won't let me focus until I see what the alert was for hahaha

Thanks for the help. Maybe we can work on this for BB.5...
    Settings > sound > vibrate > never/only when not in silent

the lock screen now functions as silent when sound is off

Settings > sound > vibrate > always/only in silent mode

The lock screen now functions as vibrate when sound is off

It's pretty self explanatory...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBarrier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post

The silent option was not removed from the volume rocker. Google just separated the silent and the vibrate options in the phone settings. Which means you get to choose if you prefer a silent phone (vibrate is silent enough for most everyone I know) or a phone which completely lacks any form of notifications be it audible or by touch (what many of you call silent).

I for one am happy they finally changed it, and I hope they never change it back to the way it was (or at least make it an option to have it similar to how it is in Froyo).

Edit: If you use the "vibrate when not in silent" option, you can still use your volume rocker to choose silent.
    Terrible opinion. I want to be able to choose sounds, vibrate, then silent with the rocker. Stop praising loss of functionality.
  8. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
    Terrible opinion. I want to be able to choose sounds, vibrate, then silent with the rocker. Stop praising loss of functionality.
    You mean change in functionality. Loss of functionality would be not being able to use silent, vibrate or neither.

You want to use the rocker for that so badly, then by all means please re-flash whichever Android 2.1 ROM you desire and have at it my friend. No one here is pushing you to flash an Android 2.2 ROM against your will.

You know, a little gratitude toward the Devs like Pete who take the time (from their personal lives no less) to make us these great ROMs for us to enjoy wouldn't kill you or anyone else that's complaining about the change in functionality (some of you are really spoiled beyond belief).

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you; but do us all a favor and keep them to yourself if you're just going to flame me or anyone else based on our opinions.

Good day; enjoy Froyo, or not. I really couldn't care less.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBarrier View Post
    You mean change in functionality. Loss of functionality would be not being able to use silent, vibrate or neither.
    It is definitely a loss of functionality introduced with 2.2

But some people like when features are removed, others are intelligent and dislike when features are removed.

You must be the other guy that will take any disadvantage and spin it.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Geeez, didn't mean to spark such a heated debate.

This isn't BB fault, so I'm not sure why offense is being taken that way. I wasn't sure if it was a BB change, possibly overlook, or if it was a 2.2 change.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BSmith; 08-07-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Hit send on Tapatalk on accident
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Xperia Play
    Yes, that is the most important point. This is not a fault with BB or Pete, not sure why it got thrown that way by ZB.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links