DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one not digging Froyo?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Am I the only one not digging Froyo?

Let me start off by saying all of the issues I am having are not Pete's problems, but rather Verizon/Google’s and Pete has no control over them. With that said I am experiencing lag/FCs/Redraws with ANY Froyo rom, regardless of the kernel I choose.

My first issue is the browser. If the browser functioned the same as it did in 2.1 and included flash, I would keep Froyo installed even if my other issues existed. The browser for me is very "clunky". I don't know if this has to do with flash or just a newer browser version but It gets laggy at times, is not as responsive and seems generally slower. It’s annoying to use.

My next issue is Pandora. I use my phone in my car and listen to Pandora everyday and with 2.2 it is unbearably low in quality, to the point where I need to just turn it off.

The next issue is application compatibility, which is not really Verizon/Google's fault, but there are several applications that simply FC every time I open them. I am confident however, that the developers will fix these issues.

I tried out many 2.2 Roms and ended up going back to 2.1 (specifically BB 1.1) and it feels like I am back home again. And until these issues get sorted out I will remain with 2.1.

Just to add though that many of the features 2.2 has to offer are really cool and I cannot wait until I can finally use them.

/rant
    Last edited by briantek; 08-04-2010 at 03:26 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    agreed.. was testing SS 4.6 yesterday, might've kept it on if it wasn't for all the redraws. back to BB 1.1 myself. got to love how stable and compatible with everything. i feel like i don't want to be bothered to flash a new rom since they're only working on froyo stuff and i think it's still too unstable
  3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    RAZR!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I personally have found 2.2 ROMs like Sapphire and Ultimate Droid to be amazing. Plus I am running the new Sapphire 1.0.0 right now and it is superb. I like me froyo yesss!
    The Mooooooon!
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I run it without any ROM. But I don't use Pandora so I really can't say. However as far as the Browser goes it's great, the camera is good, there is bluetooth voice dial. I'm really loving it.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DroidX & OG Droid
    am i the only idiot here that doesn't know what redraw is? someone please enlighten me.. thnx.
    -Smokie
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 [Rooted]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    am i the only idiot here that doesn't know what redraw is? someone please enlighten me.. thnx.
    It is when your homescreen icons disappear and you have to wait for them to "redraw". It doesn't happen much with the stock Android Home app, but usually with other home apps, such as LauncherPro. For me when it used to happen (rarely) with the stock Android Home, it actually wouldn't redraw funny enough. I would have to force close it.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Skurvy_Pirate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    It is when your homescreen icons disappear and you have to wait for them to "redraw". It doesn't happen much with the stock Android Home app, but usually with other home apps, such as LauncherPro. For me when it used to happen (rarely) with the stock Android Home, it actually wouldn't redraw funny enough. I would have to force close it.
    Doesn't that have to do with problems running out of memory? I remember seeing posts about it awhile back.

The problem I deal with is minor. Francois Deslandes' Pure Calendar widget, which I love, has begun doing the same thing. Coming up on the screen with a blank widget. He tells me it is my home app running out of memory.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    AnurajBhatt
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I run it without any ROM. But I don't use Pandora so I really can't say. However as far as the Browser goes it's great, the camera is good, there is bluetooth voice dial. I'm really loving it.
    Hook, how are you getting bluetooth voicedial to work? it might be an issue with my car, but when i press the "call" button, it asks me to say the number to dial instead of saying the name of a contact. Or is that how it is supposed to be? I don't have everyone's phone numbers memorized like I did back in 1995...
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by briantek View Post
    Let me start off by saying all of the issues I am having are not Pete's problems, but rather Verizon/Google’s and Pete has no control over them. With that said I am experiencing lag/FCs/Redraws with ANY Froyo rom, regardless of the kernel I choose.

My first issue is the browser. If the browser functioned the same as it did in 2.1 and included flash, I would keep Froyo installed even if my other issues existed. The browser for me is very "clunky". I don't know if this has to do with flash or just a newer browser version but It gets laggy at times, is not as responsive and seems generally slower. It’s annoying to use.

My next issue is Pandora. I use my phone in my car and listen to Pandora everyday and with 2.2 it is unbearably low in quality, to the point where I need to just turn it off.

The next issue is application compatibility, which is not really Verizon/Google's fault, but there are several applications that simply FC every time I open them. I am confident however, that the developers will fix these issues.

I tried out many 2.2 Roms and ended up going back to 2.1 (specifically BB 1.1) and it feels like I am back home again. And until these issues get sorted out I will remain with 2.1.

Just to add though that many of the features 2.2 has to offer are really cool and I cannot wait until I can finally use them.

/rant
    I just have to say I have BB 0.4 and notice the problem with the audio streaming. I found out there is a option to use a higher quality stream setting in Pandora. I love it!! I stream with it all day and have no issues with buffering or anything and I only have 2 bars in my building at work! Application compability is actually wonderful now that most devs are updating to 2.2 support. Drop the amount of plugins on your home screen and move all apps (that don't have widgets) to SD card. I can't even put into words how great my Droid has been working. It cannot do uLV kernels but Chevyno1's LV kernels are solid! Hope that helps out!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I had the same issue with Pandora when i upgraded to Froyo too.. no bass and the quality was garbage..

However, I switched to a FRG01b build. (LithiumMod to be exact) and i've noticed a huge improvement in quality. My bass is definitely back to how it was on 2.1. Not sure who fixed this, the lithium devs or pandora, but its definitely back to how i remember it. I even did a nandroid restore to a 2.1 and made my gf sit in the car and pitch in her 2 cents. Also, and im probably sure you heard this a million times, make sure u select high quality in the Pandora settings.

As for Browser, i use Dolphin HD as my default. Personally, i think its smoother than the stock one.

Froyo is def worth it, my phone is significantly more responsive.. I say give it another shot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links