DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Kernel for BBv0.4

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Recommended Kernel for BBv0.4

Long time reader/lurker, relatively new to custom ROMs, but I know my way around.

I'm currently using Bugless 0.4 and looking to overclock with a kernel other than the standard dev one that comes with that ROM. I tried P3's low voltage 1.2gHz Kernel, but it resulted in boot loops when I installed as an update.zip via SP Recovery. Fortunately, I backed everything up beforehand.

So basically my question is did I misstep somewhere in the process to cause the loops, or is there another kernel out there that's more ideally suited for BB 0.4.

I'm interested to hear opinions, and any information is appreciated.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Im running Chevy's 1.2 ulv kernel and it works perfectly fine for me. I did the install through ROM manager tho. I would give that a try if I were you!

Best of luck!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I did Chevys 1.1lv with update.zip and is awesome.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    Long time reader/lurker, relatively new to custom ROMs, but I know my way around.

I'm currently using Bugless 0.4 and looking to overclock with a kernel other than the standard dev one that comes with that ROM. I tried P3's low voltage 1.2gHz Kernel, but it resulted in boot loops when I installed as an update.zip via SP Recovery. Fortunately, I backed everything up beforehand.

So basically my question is did I misstep somewhere in the process to cause the loops, or is there another kernel out there that's more ideally suited for BB 0.4.

I usually just download and throw them on the root of the SD card, using Rom manager boot into recovery and choose the .zip and install it.

Chevy's lv1.1ghz worked perfectly for me, while other higher speed Chevy kernels make my phone freeze and reboot a minute into using it.

P3's higher speed kernels did the same thing, though the 125-1200 kernel is running well for me right now, though at slightly higher temperatures than Chevy's lv1.1

I hope to try out what some other people post here, still looking for that perfect high speed kernel that runs at a low temp.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    still trying to find one that will give me good battery life at a quick and cool speed..
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have run ChevyNo1 on 2 different Droids, one has boot loops at 1.2 ULV the other at 1.0 ULV. It really is true that not all processors are the same.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post

Not every phone can run every kernel; some can do the ultra low voltage ones, some can't; some can do the 1.25GHz ones, some can't. You just have to find that set that your particular handset can run without issue.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I ended up going with Chevy's LV 1.1, and it's working great so far. ULV would boot fine, but would cause a reboot very quickly after the phone got started up. So far so good on the LV, though, temps holding steady in the mid 90's, which is acceptable for me.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_campbell View Post
    Not every phone can run every kernel; some can do the ultra low voltage ones, some can't; some can do the 1.25GHz ones, some can't. You just have to find that set that your particular handset can run without issue.
    +1. Recommendations won't really mean anything unless you're Droid's processor happens to be identical in performance to someone else's but there's no way to check that I know of. You're stuck with test driving kernels..
  10. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Also, uLV & LV kernels aren't always the best...... it'll run the phone a little cooler and give you better bsttery life, but you're sacrificing performance during higher loads...

I run a MV kernel and get a full day's worth of battery life even with heavy, heavy usage.... and my temps rarely go over 40c at full loads.

Just something for members to realize.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links