DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having some MAJOR problems since I flashed BB

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Having some MAJOR problems since I flashed BB

Hi,

First of all, I'm not complaining about the ROM itself, it's great and fast. I am NOT BASHING THIS ROM, it's great, please don't take this as a flame, cuz it's not. And I can always flash back to another ROM if it doesn't work but I'm having a few issues that have proven to be very major and I can't figure out how to fix them.

Issue 1.

Battery Life: I get such horrible Bat life. I'm running 1.1 LV Kernel right now. I posted earlier in the main bb .4 thread that I was seeing all sorts of tasks running and I kept killing them but they popped back up. I currently clear these tasks and get to about 80 Megs RAM but within seconds I have apps reloading and I'm down to 40 Megs. Things like grooveshark, Mabilo Backgrounds, etc. I have deleted ALL the widgets for any of the said programs but the same thing happens. I set ATK to aggressive and I still have the same problem. I left the phone off the charger yesterday and from 100% it dropped to 15% in about 6 hours. I spent about 15 min talking on the phone and that was IT!!

Issue 2.

Wireless tethering doesn't work. Any ideas? Just says "Unable to start tethering, please try again."

Issue 3.

No vibrate!! I can't get my phone to vibrate anymore!! I click down on the volume button and it goes from ring to silent. I have Beautiful Silent OFF and Beautiful Vibrate on, nothing, I try all combinations of the two widgets and nothing.

Please help, maybe I'm REALLY stupid but I've had this ROM for about 2 weeks and still, no improvement.

THANK YOU!!!!!

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poooookah78 View Post
    Hi,

First of all, I'm not complaining about the ROM itself, it's great and fast. I am NOT BASHING THIS ROM, it's great, please don't take this as a flame, cuz it's not. And I can always flash back to another ROM if it doesn't work but I'm having a few issues that have proven to be very major and I can't figure out how to fix them.

Issue 1.

Battery Life: I get such horrible Bat life. I'm running 1.1 LV Kernel right now. I posted earlier in the main bb .4 thread that I was seeing all sorts of tasks running and I kept killing them but they popped back up. I currently clear these tasks and get to about 80 Megs RAM but within seconds I have apps reloading and I'm down to 40 Megs. Things like grooveshark, Mabilo Backgrounds, etc. I have deleted ALL the widgets for any of the said programs but the same thing happens. I set ATK to aggressive and I still have the same problem. I left the phone off the charger yesterday and from 100% it dropped to 15% in about 6 hours. I spent about 15 min talking on the phone and that was IT!!

Issue 2.

Wireless tethering doesn't work. Any ideas? Just says "Unable to start tethering, please try again."

Issue 3.

No vibrate!! I can't get my phone to vibrate anymore!! I click down on the volume button and it goes from ring to silent. I have Beautiful Silent OFF and Beautiful Vibrate on, nothing, I try all combinations of the two widgets and nothing.

Please help, maybe I'm REALLY stupid but I've had this ROM for about 2 weeks and still, no improvement.

THANK YOU!!!!!
    Issue 1

Drop the ATK, Pete has memory tweaks in place. Between that and the Android system they do a fine job of task management. You should see batt life improvement.

Issue 2

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling, works for me and a lot of others.

Issue 3

That one is weird, maybe reinstall the ROM and Wipe,Wipe,Wipe
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid (vzw)
    battery life depends on alot of things, prob not rmo related, maybe the screen being on a lot, etc.....check settings>about>battery usage to see

i have the wireless thethering program and it works fine. its frmo the market and is called "wireless tether for root users" muller, lemons, buxton are the devs

the vibrate thing is weird. maybe a setting.

did u wipe before u installed it? if not i would wipe a couple times and try again
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    1. First did you wipe data/cache and do a clean install? Might try running termianal emulator and running the script free100mb.

2. Where did you get the wireless tether app from? Try one from this page if its not where you got it from. android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

3. In Froyo you cannot do the vibrate from the volume rocker, it is in settings>sound>vibrate. And yes, i hate that also. You can use something that has a widget to make the transition a bit better.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Ok, the Vibrate has been fixed (Thank You Hemmor :P )

BUT, battery life, I'm just not sure about. I realize what you're saying about not needing ATK. And I did a FULL wipe, did cache then ROM. I'm still having TONS of apps running in the background for no reason. I keep having to kill them. And the screen stays off all the time.

Wireless tether for rooted phones is what I downloaded and try to run. Has the green lines in a diamond shape,just like I've always used in prior ROMS.

Thanks so much guys.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Did you use titanium backup or any other app to restore your apps? Not sure if that would cause it. I always just install everything fresh as to create as few problems as possible. Other than that i would just create a backup of the ROM and try reinstalling it, and if you did to an app restore try not using it on the fresh install to rule that out.

Also did you try the free100mb script? Dont think that would "solve" the problem, but it could treat it.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2

BUT, battery life, I'm just not sure about. I realize what you're saying about not needing ATK. And I did a FULL wipe, did cache then ROM. I'm still having TONS of apps running in the background for no reason. I keep having to kill them. And the screen stays off all the time.
    The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post

The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.
    Most modern OS's are doing this, even Windows 7 (it pretty much scales up to however much memory you have).

The more aggressive the task killer is the more often it will then need to load those apps and services back into memory. I would also think that this applies to the 100MB free setting, it will make Android's internal task management more aggressive (this theory straight out of my arse, but it sounds like it). Shouldn't need to much actually free at any given moment. Check your apps and see what is running and if you actually use it at all, and what the cpu usage is.

What does the battery usage in Settings say is using the battery? And if you're constantly killing apps...then the screen isn't off all the time.

What are your various sync settings like? I space mine out to a half hour or hour, and then use JuiceDefender (now working on CDMA) to fire up every half hour. Pretty good life that way.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    My battery lasts at least a day and a half of moderate use. I do turn it off, not standby, at night. I suggest you try bb 0.4 with the stock kernel and no task killer. I could not be happier with this rom.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I just installed this today and noticed seriously less in the Battery department.

I used to get 1.5 days of moderate use and now I was in need of a charge by 3:00p.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links