DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widget Problem with 0.4

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Widget Problem with 0.4

I am having an issue with my home and widgets loading after my phone restarts.

First off, if I restart my phone, the first time I hit the home button, I get the "Which app to use" pop-up. I use launcher pro beta and I've selected that many times but it asks me every time.

Secondly, when I get to my home screen with Launcher pro beta, I have 3 widgets on my main home screen; a battery widget, beautiful widgets, and power control. The power control will still be there, but the beautiful widgets and my battery widget will both show "problem loading widget." When I go to put those widgets back on my home screen, they aren't even available under the widget menu! I go to the market and they show as "installed" but in order to see them under the widget selection menu, I have to uninstall the program, then reinstall it.

Any ideas?
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid, Charge, Bionic, S4
    Premium Member
    I had the same issue with BW and Battery Left widgets. I moved the apps to the phone and now it's fine. You might have to uninstall then reinstall using the script helper to set apps2sd to "i" (internal memory). Remember to set it back (if you choose) to "e" (external). Also, on rebooting you'll just need to restart LaucherPro. I have some short cuts to apps on my sd card that don't come up until I do.

Hope this helps.
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmaltzy View Post
    I am having an issue with my home and widgets loading after my phone restarts.

First off, if I restart my phone, the first time I hit the home button, I get the "Which app to use" pop-up. I use launcher pro beta and I've selected that many times but it asks me every time.

Secondly, when I get to my home screen with Launcher pro beta, I have 3 widgets on my main home screen; a battery widget, beautiful widgets, and power control. The power control will still be there, but the beautiful widgets and my battery widget will both show "problem loading widget." When I go to put those widgets back on my home screen, they aren't even available under the widget menu! I go to the market and they show as "installed" but in order to see them under the widget selection menu, I have to uninstall the program, then reinstall it.

Any ideas?
    Any app that has a widget you use will break if put on sdcard. Move to phone or reinstall to internal memory.

This is a known issue in Froyo
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So I uninstall, use a script to set my uninstall location to my SD card, then re-download the apps? I'll give it a try!
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid, Charge, Bionic, S4
    Premium Member
    So I uninstall, use a script to set my uninstall location to my SD card, then re-download the apps? I'll give it a try!
    Set your install location to the phone. When you're finished installing the apps with widgets, reset to SD if you want.
    Last edited by wricks; 07-21-2010 at 07:36 AM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by wricks View Post
    Set your install location to the phone. When you're finished installing the apps with widgets, reset to SD if you want.
    I have never set my install location to my SD though. It's always been to my phone. Does BB default to SD unless told otherwise with a script?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
    Actually, the best way if you're using LP is to hit Menu, go to Preferences (read: NOT Settings) and then hit "Restart LauncherPro". Each time you boot your phone, your LP loads up from internal memory and becomes active, then your SD Card is mounted by the phone (SD card symbol in your notification bar.) Once your card is mounted, you need to restart your LP to recognize the SD card apps and widgets. You'll notice after you restart LP your apps on SD will show in your APP drawer and your widgets will reload. You will have to do this every time you either reboot your phone or mount your phone via USB to a PC.

Its unfortunate, but do to the boot order of things on the Droid, I don't see this changing anytime soon. The phone loads, then runs a command to mount the SD card. Best practice i have found is to have any widgets or apps i need immediately in internal memory, then apps like "Hit the Penguin" and "Google Sky Map" are on the SD card. After my phone settles in, i restart LP, and bam, those "extra" apps are there. But all of my widgets downloaded on a first go.
    Moto Droid RAZR MAXX Rooted
    OG Droid Bugless Beast v6 @ 1200 MHz
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by wricks View Post
    I have never set my install location to my SD though. It's always been to my phone. Does BB default to SD unless told otherwise with a script?
    Its possible the apps were already installed to the SD card per an older Froyo build before you moved to v.4 and remained that way after you updated to newer BB builds. So, they're still located there. As of v.3 there was a script you could run that would reverse the location of your app installs.

In term emulator, type pm getInstallLocation and if it comes back as internal, then its loading to your phone first. If it comes back external, well, you get the idea. You can go into Manage Applications through your settings and go to the apps that have widgets that are a problem, and see if the option "Move to Phone" is there and then do that. Hope this helps!
    Moto Droid RAZR MAXX Rooted
    OG Droid Bugless Beast v6 @ 1200 MHz
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    OK....I think I have it figured out....

Surf - I think you were right, those widgets got installed on my SD card. I think it is a default install location of 0.4 because I haven't changed it. I just installed 0.4 last weekend and installed BW yesterday. SO, I just put it on my SD card, along with my battery widget, restarted my phone, and they were both still there right away. So if I have the porblem anymore, I will just try the LP restart method. If that doesn't work, I'll put widget-able apps on my internal memory.

Thanks for the help!
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    OK....I think I have it figured out....

Surf - I think you were right, those widgets got installed on my SD card. I think it is a default install location of 0.4 because I haven't changed it. I just installed 0.4 last weekend and installed BW yesterday. SO, I just put it on my SD card, along with my battery widget, restarted my phone, and they were both still there right away. So if I have the porblem anymore, I will just try the LP restart method. If that doesn't work, I'll put widget-able apps on my internal memory.

Thanks for the help!
    Trust me guys widgets don't work on sdcard. It's a known fact!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links