DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect recipe for great battery life (BB)

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid 2 rooted of course.

Lightbulb Perfect recipe for great battery life (BB)

hello all: thought it would be helpful to start a thread to discuss battery life (in know the issue has ben beaten to death) but it seems most of the info is scattered around the forums.

What is your recipe for great battery life? For instance, here is mine (however it is not the greatest)!

ROM: BB 0.4
    Kernel: 2.632-ulowV1.2ghz
    Set CPU: 250 min, 1000 max (i can go up to 1200) Sleep 250mhz max.
    Apps: Juice defender
    Settings: GPS off, try to have my data sync every hr.
    Theme: DroidX
    Usage: 2hrs of talk, 50txt/emails, medium browser usage
    This equals (for me) around 20-22hrs of battery life

Share some tips ok tricks that some noobs might not know

**** ok i wanted to give an update, and some thanks...
    I switched to the 125 slot kernel and noticed some increased life (although sacrificing some performance)
    I tries Screebl... didn't love it. I pretty much am in the habit of turning my screen off immediately after I am done with my phone. It got in the way more than it helped, i recommend still trying it... it would be awesome if it had the feature whereas you could set your phone down, and the screen would turn off.
    I updated juice defender settings (i will be posting screen shot soon).
    Added auto memory manager and set very agressive!
    THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS!
    Now i am averaging over 30hrs of battery life!
    Last edited by mza929; 07-12-2010 at 12:21 PM.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mza929 View Post
    hello all: thought it would be helpful to start a thread to discuss battery life (in know the issue has ben beaten to death) but it seems most of the info is scattered around the forums.

What is your recipe for great battery life? For instance, here is mine (however it is not the greatest)!

ROM: BB 0.4
    Kernel: 2.632-ulowV1.2ghz
    Set CPU: 250 min, 1000 max (i can go up to 1200) Sleep 250ghz max.
    Apps: Juice defender
    Settings: GPS off, try to have my data sync every hr.
    Theme: DroidX
    Usage: 2hrs of talk, 50txt/emails, medium browser usage
    This equals (for me) around 20-22hrs of battery life

Share some tip ok tricks that some noobs might not know
    If your sleep is "250ghz max" your phone must be on fire!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ha! you are right! my phone just melted!

edit - 250mhz
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    with juicedefender there is no point in keeping gps off, plus it doesnt run unless your in an app where it needs it.

Does juicedefender still try and sync every time you wake your phone still? I stopped using it for that reason. Well the auto function that is. I use the vpn widget. Manually kiiling my data connection till I need it. That alone without setcpu will get me close to 20 hrs with heavy use.
    Themed swypes and stock keybrd for DX .. http://tinyurl.com/22q7mh2
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    How does adding a thread help reduce scatter? There are so many threads that do this in an attempt to consolidate information but unless the threads is stickied it just adds to the clutter.

Rather than focusing on specific settings and step-by-step instructions, people need to keep battery saving strategies in mind. Discussing specific kernels doesn't help since not everyone can run the same kernels. Even some settings may or may not make sense depending on the particular person's needs/wants.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I am pretty sure since the last update to JD, it does not try to sync data when you wake the phone up...
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    How does adding a thread help reduce scatter? There are so many threads that do this in an attempt to consolidate information but unless the threads is stickied it just adds to the clutter.

Rather than focusing on specific settings and step-by-step instructions, people need to keep battery saving strategies in mind. Discussing specific kernels doesn't help since not everyone can run the same kernels. Even some settings may or may not make sense depending on the particular person's needs/wants.
    It reduces scatter in the way that most battery discussions are adressed in other threads (with other topics) in a way like this "i get great battery life with so and so kernel" or "so and so's ROM" - when in actuality, multiple factors play into battery life (i listed the major factors for a reason in my OP). For example, you can run any rom you want, and with the wrong kernel or wrong CPU settings, you will have crappy battery life.

The goal was to explain each major variable, and share the outcome. Im sure this is all remedial for you, however most people in the forum could use this info (at least i hope). I do agree that not everyone can run the same ROMs or kernels... but the majority of us can run whatever we want.

Maybe you can add some battery saving strategies then?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    This thread is a great idea as I am currently battling to figure out whats the best combination of parameters to give me the best battery.

As an example I keep hearing some people saying if you disable SetCPU you will get better battery. Others say if you use ultra low voltage kernels you get much better life but if you use medium voltage you will run much cooler which to me that doesnt make sense, running cooler should equal using less power = better battery.

ROM: BB 0.4 clean install
    Kernel: P3Droid Standard Voltage 800Mhz (250Mhz slot)
    Set CPU: I had this installed for couple days but currently running with it uninstalled
    Settings: GPS ON but not used by any apps typically, Bluetooth on for an hours each day, auto brightness, screen timeout 30 sec, Wifi off
    Theme: Blue Energy, LauncherPro
    Usage: 2hrs of talk time, 30 texts, gtalk, light browser, 5-15 minutes of games

Around 13-16 hours of battery life.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Here's my setup:

Kernel: P3Droid SV 900Mhz
    Settings: 3g data disabled. Running Wifi all day. No GPS or Bluetooth running.
    Theme: Smoked Glass, LauncherPro
    Usage: I don't really keep up with exact time and numbers but I use my phone fairly moderately each day.

All in all I average about 30 hours on a single charge. My temps range from 28 to 35 degrees Celsius.

However, I tried over a dozen different kernels before choosing the one I run now. All the other kernels gave me around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge and high temps.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mekman View Post
    Here's my setup:

Kernel: P3Droid SV 900Mhz
    Settings: 3g data disabled. Running Wifi all day. No GPS or Bluetooth running.
    Theme: Smoked Glass, LauncherPro
    Usage: I don't really keep up with exact time and numbers but I use my phone fairly moderately each day.

All in all I average about 30 hours on a single charge. My temps range from 28 to 35 degrees Celsius.

However, I tried over a dozen different kernels before choosing the one I run now. All the other kernels gave me around 8 to 10 hours on a single charge and high temps.
    Are you using the 125 or 250 mhz kernel slots?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links