DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: BB Panic Restarts when YouMail installed

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC G1, Verizon Droid

BB Panic Restarts when YouMail installed

Hi, I am the developer of the YouMail Visual Voicemail application.
    A number of our users are using your Bugless Beast release of Android 2.2 (various builds I believe).

For whatever reason their phones are rebooting when they have our app installed (seems to be related to network traffic, although not necessarily ours). When they uninstall, the problem apparently goes away.

The problem doesn't happen on any versions of Android pre 2.2, neither does it seem to be occurring on other 2.2 releases.

I'm happy to assist in find out the cause of this problem - I have message traces (from logcat) leading up to the failure, and restart logs from the phone after the reboot (which show a panic restart).

If both Cellular & WiFi data are disabled the problem doesn't occur, if either (or both) is enabled then the problem does occur.

Some users have indicated that the phone has rebooted when they've been "on the phone" although the majority of reports indicate that the problem occurs when the phone has been allowed to sleep.

Unfortunately the phone only exhibits this problem when not connected via USB, and I don't know how to extract platform logging other than via logcat.

Regards
    Doug

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I've experienced all of the problems you've mentioned including the occasional reboot while on a call. I tried setting the app to not check for messages and while it didn't occur as often, the reboots were still happening.

I'm not sure what I can do but I'd be happy to help in any way I can as far as testing goes. The YouMail app rocks and I'm bummed I haven't been able to use it recently.

You might try getting ahold of Pete(the creator of the Bugles Beast ROM) directly. His username on here is peteralfonso.

Good luck!
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    AH HA!! I bet this has been the cause of my reboots. Thank god, hopefully something good can come of this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm pretty sure this is the cause of a lot of people's reboots since 2.2 BB was released. It's nice to see the developer trying to fix the issue. Here's to hoping it gets fixed soon
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC G1, Verizon Droid
    Well, we've been working on this for a while now... both on various forums (our own included) and via email with a couple of users.

forums.youmail.com: Youmail causes reboots on [pre-release] FROYO (Android 2.2)

Someone suggested I contact Pete, but when I tried sending him a PM I got a message that he doesn't accept PM's (turned off). So I tried here. (This is actually my second attempt to contact Pete on DroidForums)

If you're reading this Pete I'd be happy to assist in sorting this out. Is there any way to get access to a panic dump?

Doug

Links