Hrmm I'm experiencing something similar to u...
I'm running BB v0.4 and have tried both Chevy's ULV 1GHZ, P3Droid's 1GHZ kernels and BB virgin Froyo rom. I know it's not a settings issue as I've been tethering my macbook to my phone for months now on and off whenever my net goes out. I've been current on BB releases since v0.7 and running this rom stable since Pete released it (Thanks!) and I'm not sure this rom even has anything to do with the issue but I'm hoping for some good suggestions.
My GF just cancelled Comcast internet and I've been trying to tether to watch Hulu and play Bejeweled on FB. I used to be able to watch hour long shows without interruptions. Now, I can't even finish a 30min episode of Family Guy on Hulu or download a 100MB mp3, without the connection stopping before the end. It transfers fine for approx. 5 minutes before the tethering app stops transferring data. Sometimes I can just wait and I'll be able to reconnect to a site like Google/MSN, but the connection seems a lot slower/worse such that pages don't finish loading or it just stops getting data. Most times, I need to reset the tethering app and re-establish network connection before it feels fast/stable again.
If I open a browser on my droid, it picks up internet fine. If I try to DL the same file in the android browser, it completes fine. I almost always have full 5 bars of 3g. I'm using 2.0.2 right now, but have tried downgrading to earlier versions since it's worked before - I still get the same probs. I haven't tried Froyo's built-in usb tether since OSX isnt supported .
At first I thought it was just my GF's apartment since she lived on the bottom of a 3 story building. Maybe it was some interference... But I just tried it at my apartment and the tether app still can't finish the file download. I haven't tried to stream here. I can wait and open a new tab to google/msn, but the tether because less responsive.
Anyone else getting this? Try tethering and watch a Hulu show or download something > 50 MB. Simple web surfing makes the problem less apparent. I'd really like to be able to rely on tethering again for more than just simple web surfing, but not lasting past 5min. is really weird. Thanks for reading this long post and providing any info.
EDIT: After doing some digging on the android wifi tether issues' page on code.google.com, it seems other people are experiencing this issue on moto droid and doesn't seem to be rom related. Hopefully I can find more clues about it there. Thanks for looking otherwise, and please let me know if you find a solution.
Last edited by biz79; 07-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Ok, I've finally found a work around.
By way of review, all current Droid Froyo kernels fail when trying to play movies of many common formats (wmv, mp4, etc...). Android 2.0.1 and 2.1 used to support these formats, so my best guess is this is just a bug or missing codecs in the currently available builds of Froyo.
Here is a link discussing an alternative viewer for movies:
DivX Support is here - RockPlayerBase - Android Forums
Here is a link directly to RockPlayer, the .apk that will successfully allow viewing of these movies:
I suspect RockPlayer contains its own codecs, or it has work-arounds, or it properly recognizes codecs in Froyo.
It works for these movies very nicely. YEAAAAAA!!!!
Last edited by dwoid; 07-20-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Hmmm, and I see you have used a good variety of kernels (sorry I missed that earlier). Have you tried a "Medium Voltage" or "Standard Voltage" kernel?
I'm guessing you're using C_01.43.01P baseband under BB0.4? What is the age of your Droid?
It is interesting, I know (by history) that I've definately been online with teathering for greater than an hour, have downloaded larger than 100MB successfully, and I'm using WT 2.0.2 on a 12/09 Droid using BB0.4/Chevy-1.25GHz-MV-7slot/C_01.43.01P/ADW.
Btw, unfortunately, while it does work, the native Froyo Cable Tether functionality only vectors you off to Verizon's tethering bandwidth sales online in BB0.4 and Virgin FRF84B. Not too useful unless you're ready to pay for that extra 5GB *and* you're ready to "officially" reveal to Verizon that you're using a custom Froyo ROM at the moment.
Just out of curiosity, are you charging or connected via USB during this process? There is a known bug between the Droid and the Moto AC adapter which fixes the kernel at 800MHz; it might be interesting to try this via battery first, then via USB connection (for power/charge only).
On BB installation did you do a full wipe? Or, have you uninstalled WT and reinstalled it from Market? (I did *not* do a full wipe when moving up from 2.1 to Froyo, but have re-installed WT2.0.2.)
Unfortunately Barnacle is not working under Froyo yet, so it's not a work-around option.
As you know, there are so many setup variables in Android that it's hard to nail down which one has anything to do with an issue unless literally go through all of them -- and even then it might be some other non-setup related configuration detail that is involved...
And, if you're seeing mention of this by other Droid users online, you can bet there's a sizable group of people out there trying to debug it or find a workaround. Judging from personal experience, I get the impression that all of us dweebs tend to obsess on this kind of thing .
Last edited by dwoid; 07-20-2010 at 05:37 AM.