DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Are you having WiFi problems Thread

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

OFFICIAL Are you having WiFi problems Thread

Ok... so i think I have posted at least once or twice about this and i have seen 2 or three other threads get pushed into oblivion about this so I am labeling this official and everyone post your woes in this one. (admin feel free to merge other wifi threads into this one)

Ok so if you have any problems with wifi post them in here.

Hopefully if enough of us can post exactly what our issues are it can help us find a solution or possibly even help Pete fix the problem.

It can be WiFi tether, problems with keeping a WiFi connection, problems with encryption like WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc.

I think it is very important for everyone to post their details also so use the following format.

ROM:
    Kernel:
    Overclock:
    APPS2SD: Enabled/Disabled?

Problem: (if you are having problems with encryption or dropped wifi connections please post what router you have...and what type of encryption or connection you are using. e.g. WEP, WPA, etc. 802.11g, 802.11b, etc)
    Router: Obviously skip these if you are having WiFi tether issues
    Encryption:

NOTES: Opinion or more detail as to how and when you noticed

MY PROBLEM:
    ROM: BB v0.2.1
    Kernel: P3 125-1000LV 2.2
    Overclock: Using Petes script with the above kernel for a 1GHz Max
    APPS2SD: DISABLED (but i have a few games and such manually moved over to the SD card)

Problem: When I am at home connected to my router I can browse the internet just fine but the second I try to download a large file, remote connect to my desktop over the local network, or download an update from the market the connect drops and fails and then comes back :-/)
    Router: I am using a 500GB Apple Time capsule with built in airport extreme 802.11n (b/g compatible) Works fine with my fiancées Droid Eris
    Encryption: WPA2 Personal (aka WPA2 PSK)

NOTES: I think a lot of people on here use an open connection at home or may not even notice they have a problem. I dont usually download large files at home (bad 3g coverage in my living room)... I just check my facebook and such and it was a week before I even noticed it. Especially because it only happens when passing a lot of data through the Wifi connection... i.e. downloading large files.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    try hitting forget network, disconnect wifi, enable wifi, enter PW again and let it do it's thing. Worked for me.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    try hitting forget network, disconnect wifi, enable wifi, enter PW again and let it do it's thing. Worked for me.
    lol i have done that already... lol Wouldn't have posted a thread like this if I didnt think of something that simple.

TY for the suggestion.

Like i said my problem isnt that I cant connect... it works fine. I can browse the net with everything off except for wifi.

The problem is that I cant download large files... like a rom update and I have issues remoting into my main desktop on my local network.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Sorry just skimmed thru. I have problems downloading files w/ underscores ( _ ) in them, when i remove them they work. You are having updating market files so i don't think thats the problem...

Did you wipe prior to installation?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Sorry just skimmed thru. I have problems downloading files w/ underscores ( _ ) in them, when i remove them they work. You are having updating market files so i don't think thats the problem...

Did you wipe prior to installation?
    Currently no... but when i discovered the problem I wiped my droid (cache/data 3 Times each) and put v0.2 on as a clean install with NONE of my stuff on it. I tried to connect to my wifi and again it connects but when I try to download a large file (i was trying to download the v0.2.1 rom at the time) it just fails and the wifi connects and disconnects.

It is definitely a problem with froyo and I think wpa encryption. I had no problems with 2.1 and neither does my fiancée.

I have seen a few other people post about similar problems on the bugless beast thread and on a few other forums... I am just trying to get everyone in one place so the problem can be better documented.
  6. Soulless Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    zerosouls
    Phone
    Razr
    Premium Member
    ROM: Any 2.2
    Kernel: Used them all
    Overclock: Used them all
    APPS2SD: Don't use it

Problem: My router is set for MAC address filtering and I already added my phone some months ago. Confirmed WiFi still works for Android 2.1 flawlessly, but when I switch to 2.2 ROM, I can connect to the router (if I can even find it) but the connection is at 1 to zero bars, basically no data transfers at all.
    Router: LinkSys
    Encryption: WPA2 Personal

Just posting to give more information, I am in the same boat. 3G is fine for now, but I do miss my WiFi
    Feel like a geek?: http://gplus.to/GeekPlus
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by zerosouls View Post

Problem: My router is set for MAC address filtering and I already added my phone some months ago. Confirmed WiFi still works for Android 2.1 flawlessly, but when I switch to 2.2 ROM, I can connect to the router (if I can even find it) but the connection is at 1 to zero bars, basically no data transfers at all.

Just posting to give more information, I am in the same boat. 3G is fine for now, but I do miss my WiFi
    Just wondering... why Use WPA2 if you have mac address filtering? lol I mean i know that makes it extra secure but it isnt necessary. I think WPA2 seems to be the problem.

I just work way to much and always seem to have something to do when i get home so I havent had a chance to try different types of encryption.

If a solution isnt found in future updates or official 2.2 released I will most likely be changing my network to OPEN with mac address filtering. SOO MANY DEVICES LOL
  8. Soulless Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    zerosouls
    Phone
    Razr
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzinz View Post

Just wondering... why Use WPA2 if you have mac address filtering? lol I mean i know that makes it extra secure but it isnt necessary. I think WPA2 seems to be the problem.

I just work way to much and always seem to have something to do when i get home so I havent had a chance to try different types of encryption.

If a solution isnt found in future updates or official 2.2 released I will most likely be changing my network to OPEN with mac address filtering. SOO MANY DEVICES LOL
    Call me paranoid, but I live in a large apartment complex and would rather put full scale protection on my wireless than not.
    Feel like a geek?: http://gplus.to/GeekPlus
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzinz View Post

Call me paranoid, but I live in a large apartment complex and would rather put full scale protection on my wireless than not.
    Ya I understand... I was just curious.

I will try playing with the different types of encryption on my router and give an update on Monday. Hopefully we get a few other people with similar issues.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X/D1
    I was having problems as well. BB v0.2.1 and I redid my linksys settings to change the channel to 11 instead of 6. (via ip address) I had to do this for our Wii also that was not connecting to our network. I had WPA2 security which I disabled and made it an open network. Fortunately for us, we live in the country and our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

I know this might not help many, but it worked for me.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Links