DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will moving apps2sd help overall performance?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Umm, the speed of the onboard RAM is WAY faster than the crappy SD card. No way would I want to run the OS off there.
  2. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note Duece
    not sure @ performance but i notice when i mount my card to the pc or reboot it takes a whole lot of time for the apps to be recognized
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I haven't tried recently, but a while back I ran a rom with maybe half my apps or so on SD...

Didn't notice any difference in performance. I don't think it gives you "extra ram" to utilize because I believe the internal memory is partitioned for system memory and apps storage. I may be totally off-base, but in System Monitor it would show like 160mb allocated to system memory, 90mb allocated to cache, and @ 250 or so allocated to apps. I realize it adds to like 512mb, don't really understand it.

As far as I can tell, the only reason/advantage to moving apps to SD is if you are running out of internal storage space.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 07-23-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeeeet View Post
    not sure @ performance but i notice when i mount my card to the pc or reboot it takes a whole lot of time for the apps to be recognized

Correct me if im wrong, but that issue with mounting the sd card to your pc is normal.

If you apps are on your sd card, and you've mounted your sd card, your phone is going to have trouble accessing the sd card.

Kind of like when you mount your sd card and try to use a file manager on your phone.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by dparm View Post
    Umm, the speed of the onboard RAM is WAY faster than the crappy SD card.
    ^ This. Probably depends a bit on the specific app as to how much of an impact there is on performance if the app and/or its data/cache/etc are moved to the SD card.

Also, there isn't just one single variable (i.e. free memory) that affects performance. Consider the overall picture.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-23-2010 at 09:29 AM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I am by no means an authority on any of this so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Once you mount the SD card to the PC then the phone no longer has access to it until you dismount it from the PC and it is automatically remounted to the phone.

Unless you are using an SD card with a high speed rating (class 6 or higher) then larger apps might be slower to load form the card rather than the internal memory, and from what I understand running the OS from an SD card would be a sluggish hell the likes of which I would only wish upon Steve Jobs.

The benefit to installing apps to the SD card is to save space on the internal memory which becomes an important issue if you have a lot of apps. There might also be a benefit to having a separate partition on the card for apps that will allow you to restore apps and app data if you have to wipe the /system and /data partitions, but someone else will probably be able to give you better advice on that.
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by WSGrant View Post
    Once you mount the SD card to the PC then the phone no longer has access to it until you dismount it from the PC and it is automatically remounted to the phone.
    This is very true, UNLESS you're using the Dual Mount SD Widget (in the Market). This widget (listed in the widget select list as "SD Share") is one of my favorite apps because, when you touch the widget, it mounts your SD for you and let's you access all the contents on your PC while also allowing you complete access to the SD card contents on your Droid. So your apps on SD don't become unusable while the SD card is mounted using the widget, and you can, for example, play MP3s from your SD card while exploring the contents on your PC.

By the way, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this app or the dev, I just happen to love it.
    Last edited by GirLuvsDroid; 07-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Sweet, that was the main issue that kept me from moving my apps. I will try out the dual mount app.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    I posted this in the LauncherPro Redraw thread here, but I'm under the suspicion the launcher API (meaning any launcher) enumerates the sdcard due to the Apps2Sd feature causing the launcher redraw people are experiencing. After moving everything back to the phone I've had no redraw issues, but it's only been around 5-6 hours but normally by now I would have had a redraw lag. I'll know more by the end of the day but I'd still suggest only moving apps to your sdcard ony if you are short on memory. As saif the internal memory is by far faster.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    Edit: Double post from above :-) Nothing to see here, please keep moving.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links