DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit the Bullet!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Bit the Bullet!

Haven't done much posting here, but ALOT of lurking and studying.....bit the bullet and appplied SPRecovery on wednesday, then flashed Bugless Beast 1.1 last night.

Went smooth and Easy! Much thanks to everyone who has posted "how to" articles and answered questions!

Just a couple quick questions if yall don't mind:

How do I know when to wipe data/cache when applying a new rom, theme, or kernel?

Does it hurt to use set cpu just to monitor cpu temp, even though i have read that BB doesn't need it? (im running the stock 600 right now, but may try out 800......seems way faster than normal as it stands!)

I have been downloading roms and themes to my laptop, moving them to my sd card on the phone, then opening with rom manager......is this the same thing to do with a kernel?

Sorry if some of these are obvious or already answered, but I'm kinda on information overload from the last few days of studying.

Thanks for all the help!
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Welcome to the "Dark Side"

I've not used a Rom that includes the OC but my sense is you should be able to use setCPU to monitor temp without issues.

As for installing kernels since you are using RM you should be able to download and install with RM.

Mike
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm only using the free version of rom manager right now (not cheap, gonna buy the full version later tonight).

So I just place the kernel download file on my sd card, then open with rom manager, correct?
  4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I'm not sure how or if the free version of RM will allow. Give it a try. If you want to use SPR use the same process you used to install the rom.

Mike
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    ill give it a shot!
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    OK Let us know how you make out.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've only been doing this a couple months but here's what I do (I've never used pete's stuff, but have read great things). I think these rules apply regardless of rom choice

Quote Originally Posted by sober View Post
    How do I know when to wipe data/cache when applying a new rom, theme, or kernel?
    As a rule of thumb, especially when changing to a different developers rom, always wipe cache data and cache. a good app backup program helps speed up the application/setting recovery process

for themes, i usually do whatever the theme maker suggests...often rom/theme specific?

kernel, no wipe

Does it hurt to use set cpu just to monitor cpu temp, even though i have read that BB doesn't need it? (im running the stock 600 right now, but may try out 800......seems way faster than normal as it stands!)
    somewhere in the forum there is a thread on this

I have been downloading roms and themes to my laptop, moving them to my sd card on the phone, then opening with rom manager......is this the same thing to do with a kernel?
    yes, same for kernels. by the way I almost never plug in to a computer anymore, because of the droid i no longer carry my laptop to work anymore. download directly to droid, make changes using astro or root explorer...use rom manager or sprecovery to flash changes...just remember to always make backups. if your flashing from one recovery method to another (i.e. rom manager/clockwork vs sprecovery), make a backup of current rom in both recovery methods

and ps, don't know if bb1.1 is froyo or not, but froyo seems to give a huge performance boost
    Droid X SSX1.1 (me)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv Incinerated (son #1)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv (son #2)
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for all the info! BB 1.1 is NOT froyo, but after reading about it versus the froyo rom I decided to go with it for my first flash since everything works on it.

The first BB froyo I know had flash and maps issues, so I thought I would use a known good program for my first flash.

I will go to froyo soon! As soon as I read some good reports!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Another question.....when I flash from 1.1 to BB froyo will I also need to flash a new kernal to overclock? or remove the old one? Or will the existing one still work?
  10. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Typically, you need to reinstall a new one. Based on the feedback, however, it seems that the new 2.2 OS is fast enough "out of the box"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links