DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Editing eri.xml

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3

Editing eri.xml

I have been trying to replace/edit the "Verizon Wireless" in the notification area by editing the eri xml in the framework-res.apk. I have followed the exact methods I've used on previous ROMs (including previous BB versions) but for some reason now whenever I replace the file on the phone the phone freezes at the Moto logo (luckily I can still booth into SPRecovery and restore). Any suggestions/secrets?? Thanks for the advice (and GREAT job on v1.1).

Edit: And to those thinking I'm NOT looking for the pull-down editor 'app'... it's stupid to pay $3 for something that should take 30 secs (besides, according to latest reviews it's not working on the latest ROMs).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    I have been trying to replace/edit the "Verizon Wireless" in the notification area by editing the eri xml in the framework-res.apk. I have followed the exact methods I've used on previous ROMs (including previous BB versions) but for some reason now whenever I replace the file on the phone the phone freezes at the Moto logo (luckily I can still booth into SPRecovery and restore). Any suggestions/secrets?? Thanks for the advice (and GREAT job on v1.1).

Edit: And to those thinking I'm NOT looking for the pull-down editor 'app'... it's stupid to pay $3 for something that should take 30 secs (besides, according to latest reviews it's not working on the latest ROMs).
    I used Pulldown Editor on v1.1 just fine. Just make sure you make an update.zip.
    Last edited by Backnblack; 06-06-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: edited warez instructions
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: OMFGB 1.3.1 (10-06 nightly)
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0
    Theme: Synergy
    Launcher: Go Launcher EX
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RobStemen
    -----------------------------------
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to pay for what you can do yourself, but I just want to say the Pulldown Editor worked fine for me on both BB, both V1.0 and 1.1. After applying, though, I made sure to run the zipalign_apks script in recovery using adb on my laptop. EDIT: I just read RobStemen's post and want to note that I just used MM (old version) to run Pulldown Editor -- I didn't make it an update.zip file.

How did you replace the file on your phone? I've found that I can't push my manually modded framework back using terminal emulator, but I've had success every time using adb on the pc.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible

Re: Editing eri.xml

You generally don't want to push framework changes on the phone, or really while the phone is running at all I would recommend doing it in either recovery.

KZI I was looking at it for a few last night. I've edited them manually before, trying to do it for my theme, Ill let you know when I get it worked out. If pulldown editor is working I can find out exactly what its editing anyhow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    You can use a hex editor such as HxD
    Open the file and simply change what you wish and replace the file within the apk
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible

Re: Editing eri.xml

Open the file and simply change what you wish and replace the file within the apk
    Oh it seemed like that's the way he had done it before but when he pushed the file it wasn't working. If that works, then I needn't worry about it ATM.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralfonso View Post
    That's what I did (using 3 different Hex Editors) and every time I push the file back the phone gets stuck at the M logo on boot. I'll try HxD and see if anything changes.

Do you recommend changing the file w/o unpacking or by unpacking and then repacking (I have tried BOTH methods and no success yet).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by peteralfonso View Post
    That's what I did (using 3 different Hex Editors) and every time I push the file back the phone gets stuck at the M logo on boot. I'll try HxD and see if anything changes.

Do you recommend changing the file w/o unpacking or by unpacking and then repacking (I have tried BOTH methods and no success yet).
    I did mine on the mac and pushed it back on while in recovery using adb and it worked fine for me. Are you using the same number of letters? If you send me what you want I will mess around with it to see if I can get it to work on my phone as a test.

Links