DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto-Location feature NOT auto locating

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Auto-Location feature NOT auto locating

Love BB 1.1, but I'm having problems getting my applications that use auto-location to auto locate my position (i.e. my weather widget and web browser). I read through a lot of posts on here with no luck. I've tried playing around with Location and Security settings toggling (use wireless networks and GPS satellites) and nothing. I noticed this on BB 1.0 and it seems to have carried over to 1.1. Is this typical for bugless or am I missing something or don't have a setting correct?
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

*Support Open Source* Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ANDROID FTW!!!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by tfkennady View Post
    Love BB 1.1, but I'm having problems getting my applications that use auto-location to auto locate my position (i.e. my weather widget and web browser). I read through a lot of posts on here with no luck. I've tried playing around with Location and Security settings toggling (use wireless networks and GPS satellites) and nothing. I noticed this on BB 1.0 and it seems to have carried over to 1.1. Is this typical for bugless or am I missing something or don't have a setting correct?
    I have the same issue with just a few apps. One of them being parallel kingdom, would really like to get this game working on my phone. The brower and google maps recognizes my location but when I open up parallel kingdom it keeps saying can't find location ( go to google maps and see if it finds your location if it does come back and try again ) which it always does but when I come back it gives the same message repeatedly. Will be following this thread to see if there's a solution. GL
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    I have the same issue with just a few apps. One of them being parallel kingdom, would really like to get this game working on my phone. The brower and google maps recognizes my location but when I open up parallel kingdom it keeps saying can't find location ( go to google maps and see if it finds your location if it does come back and try again ) which it always does but when I come back it gives the same message repeatedly. Will be following this thread to see if there's a solution. GL
    I've tried reloading the rom as well as updating the baseband through rom manager and OTA with no luck. maybe this will have to be forwarded to Pete for him to take a look at it. When I open google maps up it locates my position fine.

I did read somewhere that some applications use the network (i.e. web browser) for auto-locating and others use GPS (i.e. google maps/earth) and some apps use both.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or just a random fluke on mine and your rom installations.
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

ANDROID FTW!!!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    GalaxyNexus, stock ROM, rooted
    I'm also having problems along these lines - with Locale, specifically...it's the only app that marks my position about 3 blocks from where I actually am. All other apps seem to be pulling my location accurately.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
    I'm also having problems along these lines - with Locale, specifically...it's the only app that marks my position about 3 blocks from where I actually am. All other apps seem to be pulling my location accurately.
    well with any GPS or positioning system there is accuracy deviation, most modern GPSs are accurate to within 100ft or so, some a 1000ft, usually older systems. (I bet if you looked into it a little bit more you'd find the small print that says what the actual deviation is.) Obviously it depends on how well your phone is tracking the satellites (additionally the number of satellites it can see) and/or calculating the triangulation of your position from your local network towers. The deviation your experiencing seems to be normal in my opinion. I have experienced this from time to time my self but it seems the longer you wait the more accurate it becomes, I guess it can recalculate and adjust accordingly.

a little background info on myself so i don't just sound like another jackass know-it-all on a forum lol. My job is the Air Force is RF Systems technician (basically I fix everything from Satellite Telecommunications equipment to Radios, GPS units and much much more) I've been doing this job for about 10 years and have a lot of experience due to the nature of my position there. Even the GPSs that we use every day to pin-point locations 22,600 miles in space (a lot of satellites are about this distance from earth) aren't accurate lol, kinda funny right?
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

ANDROID FTW!!!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    GalaxyNexus, stock ROM, rooted

well with any GPS or positioning system there is accuracy deviation, most modern GPSs are accurate to within 100ft or so, some a 1000ft, usually older systems. (I bet if you looked into it a little bit more you'd find the small print that says what the actual deviation is.) Obviously it depends on how well your phone is tracking the satellites (additionally the number of satellites it can see) and/or calculating the triangulation of your position from your local network towers. The deviation your experiencing seems to be normal in my opinion. I have experienced this from time to time my self but it seems the longer you wait the more accurate it becomes, I guess it can recalculate and adjust accordingly.

a little background info on myself so i don't just sound like another jackass know-it-all on a forum lol. My job is the Air Force is RF Systems technician (basically I fix everything from Satellite Telecommunications equipment to Radios, GPS units and much much more) I've been doing this job for about 10 years and have a lot of experience due to the nature of my position there. Even the GPSs that we use every day to pin-point locations 22,600 miles in space (a lot of satellites are about this distance from earth) aren't accurate lol, kinda funny right?
    Well, I would agree it's just drift and not worry, but the weird thing is this: Sitting here in the my chair I can open Maps using GPS and it puts me in my neighbor's house 20 feet away at worst. Often it's right smack at my own address. Then I open Locale and try to get it to locate me (again, using GPS not wifi, sitting right in the same spot) and it puts me 3-4 blocks away.

It was NOT doing this before I moved to BB 1.1, before that it was really, exceptionally, almost unerringly accurate. I can't say it's definitely Bugless 1.1, I am so very much not an expert in any of this. In fact I'm not an expert in much of anything except how to program my remote.

Also, and most certainly not least, thank you for your service!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    look for my post about the fix. I'm posting from Droid
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by stark23x View Post

Well, I would agree it's just drift and not worry, but the weird thing is this: Sitting here in the my chair I can open Maps using GPS and it puts me in my neighbor's house 20 feet away at worst. Often it's right smack at my own address. Then I open Locale and try to get it to locate me (again, using GPS not wifi, sitting right in the same spot) and it puts me 3-4 blocks away.

It was NOT doing this before I moved to BB 1.1, before that it was really, exceptionally, almost unerringly accurate. I can't say it's definitely Bugless 1.1, I am so very much not an expert in any of this. In fact I'm not an expert in much of anything except how to program my remote.

Also, and most certainly not least, thank you for your service!
    that's odd that it's accuracy has diminished, i'm not experiencing that at all, i would say if anything after i did the baseband update my accuracy has gotten better not to mention i have coverage inside the building i work (that's a big deal considering we're not supposed to be able to get coverage in there and i wasn't until i did the update). Hopefully somebody smarter than you and me can answer our problems lol. I can deal with this for now, and I'm sure you agree that being rooted though it has it's "bugs" is better than anything stock.
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

ANDROID FTW!!!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GeLopez View Post
    thank you for your response, could you post the link in this thread please? thanks again for the help.
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

ANDROID FTW!!!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GeLopez View Post
    I'm assuming this it the post you were referring to; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...hat-i-did.html

I tried what was instructed in this post and this did not fix my problem. I believe it is a bug in the ROM at this point. I appreciate the suggestion though.
    Bugless V0.5
    900MHz Slayher Kernel
    Compcache
    Swapper2 32MB
    Evolution theme

ANDROID FTW!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links